welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 02-17-2017, 04:05 AM   #41
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I'm mostly playing Orochi...I'm getting decent but one thing that's holding me back (and preventing me from beating AI:2 bots 100% of the time) is that I cannot guard-break cancel to save my life.

This game is great at visual feedback, except this one area. I have no idea if I'm early or late with them.

We should get some 2v2's going just so that we can practice stuff like this.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #42
Handmade.Mercury
Aplan Architect

Level 3 is the highest level of AI (unless there's a level 4 that unlocks that I don't know about) and from what I've seen, they're more capable of using their class's combos, they're better at blocking in general, and are much more difficult to guard break. One thing that I've yet to see an AI do is feint, though, so I think their limit is just reaction time and combo-ing

I'm currently maining Warden, got her up to Prestige 1 Level 14. She's really, really good, bordering on OP, and most people seem to think she's one of, if not the best character in the game at the moment. I've also been playing Peacekeeper lately, and really enjoy her as well. I think she's more straight up fun than Warden, and can be really devastating in 1v1s in the right hands

If you guys wanna group up for some online or private pickup games, add me on uPlay (HandmadeMercury)

Follow me on Twitch TV
Handmade.Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #43
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Warden seems fun, seems like higher level play with that class requires quite a bit of feigning, no?

There's a twitch PK streamer (not a big name) who does nothing but 1v1 and 2v2 and he goes literally days without every losing.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #44
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
I'm mostly playing Orochi...I'm getting decent but one thing that's holding me back (and preventing me from beating AI:2 bots 100% of the time) is that I cannot guard-break cancel to save my life.

This game is great at visual feedback, except this one area. I have no idea if I'm early or late with them.

We should get some 2v2's going just so that we can practice stuff like this.
They changed the way guard break counters work for the current release. In the beta, it was much easier to pull this off. I thought I was going crazy at first, because I used to be able to regularly counter it in the beta. The devs said they're going to revert to the beta-style counter in an upcoming update.
bnet: LanceUpprcut#11563
XBox: XBox Shmexbox
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #45
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Has anyone figured out a way to change in-game or at least choose what class you get when you do 1v1 bot practice?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #46
digitalErich
Mathematical!

One thing the devs really borked...skill based matching is done before you pick your class, so if you've main'd a class for a while and then try to pick up a new character, you get matched with higher skilled players. Great, your first time into a PvP match with a new character and the other team is all Rep 2s.

How do you miss this?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #47
Handmade.Mercury
Aplan Architect

Quote:
Warden seems fun, seems like higher level play with that class requires quite a bit of feigning, no?
Feinting as Warden mainly serves to either open up a top light attack or zone or to bait a top heavy from the opponent that the Warden can punish with Crushing Counterstrike. Crushing Counterstrike also serves to pretty much completely deny top attacks from the opponent as they risk getting like a full bar of damage. The Warden is strong mainly because of a very fast top light as well as a very fast zone attack, forcing the opponent to be constantly guarding 2 directions. Once the Warden gets a hit in, then that initiates the Warden "vortex" of 2 side light attacks (maybe occasionally a top light instead) and then the shoulder charge, which is repeatable for as long as the Warden has stamina. This is ridiculously powerful, as the charge can also be canceled into a guard break, so the opponent never really knows if the Warden is going to continue the normal attack combo after a light attack, charge, or guard break

Quote:
Has anyone figured out a way to change in-game or at least choose what class you get when you do 1v1 bot practice?
Do you mean what class the AI plays as? I don't think there's a way in normal practice mode, but you can create a custom match and choose the bot. You can set the rounds to 99, turn off damage, turn off the time limit, etc. It's not quite the same as practice mode since there's no respawning, though

Follow me on Twitch TV

Last edited by Handmade.Mercury; 02-17-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 AM   #48
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Was feeling low about the Peacekeeper but then got into a 1v1 duel with another Peacekeeper and went 3-0. Got executions on two of the rounds and an environmental kill on the third.

Feelin' a little better again. This game is really compelling, when winning or losing (though it's definitely rage-inducing when losing heavily).
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #49
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

I don't like to rage quit, but I've already done so a couple of times since launch. I'd probably never play this if not for the fact that I can actually win a match now and then. I should play more dominion or 4v4 because losing there isn't as emotionally sapping as a 1v1 or 2v2 for some reason.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #50
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Anyone else still playing this? Hit me up anytime for the rest of today/tonight. It's nice to have a Monday off.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #51
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Are you on the PC? I haven't played for a few days, but I've been meaning to get back to it.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #52
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

I'm pretty sure I've got you on my uplay; mine is roflmcwaffles. You tried to give me a code for the For Honor beta, but it didn't work or something.

I've found my stride with a different character; Warlord. He's an absolute beast in Dominion; 2v1s and 3v1s against lesser enemies are nothing to him. He can be surprisingly quick and aggressive in duels, but I have to play him carefully or I'll run out of stamina fast.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #53
Handmade.Mercury
Aplan Architect

I've somewhat fallen out of love with the game, but I still pop back in for a match or two. It'll probably suck me back in once there's a proper ranked/ladder and when the DLC starts getting released

Follow me on Twitch TV
Old 02-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #54
Lekon
Indie Prophet

I've been playing it daily for the quests. I find if I just focus on the Orders, I get a good amount of progress, without getting into rage quit territory if I get on a bad streak.

Also, I've become a bit too good with the Shugoki's timing. Smack smack toss smack demon break, dead. The true definition of salt is a Peacekeeper who gets 2 hit because they stacked their attack instead of defence.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:59 AM   #55
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Someone created a stat tracking site for this game.

Where do you stand? I have a 53% win rate across all multiplayer modes w/ a K/D ratio of 1.11. Not bad for a couple of weeks of play.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #56
Lekon
Indie Prophet

Huh, I'm one of the highest rank Shugokis. Must not be a popular character. Bummer, because the sucker is fun to play. Lots of baseball bat death!

https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/Lekonish

Now if only they'd release the Roman and the Ninja. I'm tired of bashing Orochi.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #57
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

You guys still play this? I'm still playing quite a bit.

https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/roflmcwaffles

I've stuck with Warlord for the most part, and I'm holding my own fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekon View Post
Now if only they'd release the Roman and the Ninja. I'm tired of bashing Orochi.
I don't typically see a lot of Orochi now. It's a great noob killer, but it's not viable because he telegraphs most of his moves. It's hard to crack a defensive player with Orochi.

Last edited by Lance Uppercut; 03-20-2017 at 07:04 PM.