welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 04-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #21
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphahat View Post
Lol, you're a bastard of a friend. And, you already listen about that long or longer while we play RL, so NAH!

Thanks!
I watch the whole thing. It was a little slow for me, but I watched the entire thing (I just upped the speed to 1.25 - 1.5). I thought for sure you were going to bite it at one point but you managed to stay away.

I have not watched many Minecraft streams previously but I know I could not stream it at all as I hate when things are out of place, I have to make my lair so to speak before I dig anything. Each item I make needs to have its perfect location. It was fun to watch and I will keep doing so!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
Troggles
Nice shot!

You've inspired me to try this as well. I started a world with the same seed. We'll see how this goes.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #23
Arphahat
AR-FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefrukem View Post
I'll subscribe if you return the favor.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Dukefrukem
Sure thing. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
It's been almost two years, so it's as bad these days, but thanks anyways.

Anyways, yeah I would like to get back into the video making game. But am completely bereft of ideas. I mean, there are so many other people doing the same thing it's hard to think of something fun and different.

One idea I had was something like Gamer School. The idea being I sit down with my daughter and teach her how to play through a great game. Maybe start was SMB. I dunno, outside of that I'm drawing a blank.
It could be fun to see her trying to pick it up, or it could be frustrating if she has the same patience that my daughter has. It could be worth it if it seems fun, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathMaster View Post
I watch the whole thing. It was a little slow for me, but I watched the entire thing (I just upped the speed to 1.25 - 1.5). I thought for sure you were going to bite it at one point but you managed to stay away.

I have not watched many Minecraft streams previously but I know I could not stream it at all as I hate when things are out of place, I have to make my lair so to speak before I dig anything. Each item I make needs to have its perfect location. It was fun to watch and I will keep doing so!
Yeah, I've done the 1.5 speed with other channels, too. A concern I had was that it didn't feel like I got that far into the game, and was kinda dumb about picking my starting location so that ate up a bunch of time that could have been spent actually doing something more interesting than walking up and back. I wonder if it will have a better pace going forward. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. And, I'm glad you enjoyed it. After the next episode, lemme know what you think about the pacing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troggles View Post
You've inspired me to try this as well. I started a world with the same seed. We'll see how this goes.
Fun, lemme know how it goes and good luck. For this one, I had meant to pick an easier seed than the random one, but forgot. Something like "Hardcore Failure 1" would have been much easier to type.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
Troggles
Nice shot!

Quote:

Fun, lemme know how it goes and good luck. For this one, I had meant to pick an easier seed than the random one, but forgot. Something like "Hardcore Failure 1" would have been much easier to type.
Fortunately I can just copy and paste it from the youtube description. I only played a single day, but I was able to hollow out myself a base right next to a giant ravine before darkness.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #25
Arphahat
AR-FA

Episode 2 is up!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #26
Arphahat
AR-FA

Hey, for any of you already established YouTubers, what strategy of self promoting did you use? My best response has been here, from you guys, (which is awesome, so thanks btw) and from friends and family. But, trying to get this to people outside of those I already know is tricky.

The couple minecraft video subreddits are pretty low traffic and the main mc subreddit seems to hate the idea of self promotion and my posts there are voted down pretty quick. The let's play section at minecraftforum.net doesn't seem to get much traffic, either. My gamer twitter account is new and doesn't have followers. Google+ might have attracted s some, but I'm uncertain.

Anything obvious that I'm missing?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #27
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:

Anything obvious that I'm missing?

Sent from my SCH-I605 usin Tapatalk
Depends if you want to spend money or not. Self-promoting through ads and/or giveaways may have some effect.

Having said that, there is no instant success. Plenty of folks have spent months building up a fan base.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #28
Arphahat
AR-FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
Depends if you want to spend money or not. Self-promoting through ads and/or giveaways may have some effect.

Having said that, there is no instant success. Plenty of folks have spent months building up a fan base.
At this point, this is just a fun hobby, so I'll probably not be spending much on it now.

If what I'm doing seems reasonable and it just takes more time, that's cool. I'll keep plodding along. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #29
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
At this point, this is just a fun hobby, so I'll probably not be spending much on it now.

If what I'm doing seems reasonable and it just takes more time, that's cool. I'll keep plodding along. Thanks.

I'm just basing my experience on helping small businesses ramp up their online presence and applying it to Youtube, so I may be wrong, but I do know there is no 'instant success'. You can 'game' the system but, usually, those viewers/visitors don't stick around, so it's better to grow through engagement, solid work, and referrals.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
Arphahat
AR-FA

Quote:
I'm just basing my experience on helping small businesses ramp up their online presence and applying it to Youtube, so I may be wrong, but I do know there is no 'instant success'. You can 'game' the system but, usually, those viewers/visitors don't stick around, so it's better to grow through engagement, solid work, and referrals.
Thanks for the insight. I've already been kind of wary about doing "fake" stuff that artificially affects the views / subscriptions / likes since I want to have an accurate measure of how things are going, so I'm cool with that. I'll just keep on keeping on.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #31
jpublic
Threadslayer

Dedication really helps. I follow several Youtubers that keep me there by having a reliable update stream.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #32
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Hey, for any of you already established YouTubers, what strategy of self promoting did you use?
The best advice I've ever got was from the big YouTubers themselves. Tomska said, basically that getting more subscribers, you need to ask for likes and shares. Politely ask at the end of the video or any time to like(smash that like button guys!) share and subscribe in the video you made. It annoys people, but it works.
He adds that if you don't have an advertising budget, you need to start a viral campaign. Start by telling your signifigant other about the channel. Got kids? tell them. Parents? Grandparents? Cousins? In-laws? Jamaican exchange student neighbor who dreams of opening a bakery some day? Tell them, tell them all. Don't stop there, ask them all very nicely to spread the word.
Then hit Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Reddit, 4chan, ect. and tell them you have a delightful Youtube channel and you think they should see it.

After you've spammed the internet, the rest is up to you. And the rest is hard work. Creating quality content. It doesn't sound like fun, but you will have to work this thing like it's your job. Make the best content you can. So viewers don't go "meh" and dismiss you as another fly-by-night wanna-be gamer Youtuber who wants to play video games for a living... and even then nothing is guaranteed. Speaking of which...

PewDiePie himself said in a Q&A that when he started, it was a lot easier to get views because not everyone and their dog was trying to get famous on Youtube. Today however, it's less like the wild west, and more like Hollywood. Meaning it's insanely unlikely you will get popular. PewDiePie then added that if hadn't started his channel back in the day, and started it now? It would probably be impossible to get the same kind of response he got when he started. He even said he felt sorry for young Youtubers because they don't have a very good chance of having success.

Basically, do a viral campaign. Work your ass off making great content, engage your audience... and hope for the best. And just know the chances of success are not high these days.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #33
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

I like the episode/ I had to laugh as you walked away to hunt.. I knew you would get lost. I have done the same thing and now I make sure to build something large with LOTS of torches so I can see it from anywhere. Then I saw you build something at the end, so it came back around. Good show!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #34
Arphahat
AR-FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
Dedication really helps. I follow several Youtubers that keep me there by having a reliable update stream.
Good deal. I am planning on trying to get a regular schedule going once I can get some of these details figured out, so that should help.

Quote:
The best advice I've ever got was from the big YouTubers themselves. Tomska said, basically that getting more subscribers, you need to ask for likes and shares. Politely ask at the end of the video or any time to like(smash that like button guys!) share and subscribe in the video you made. It annoys people, but it works.
He adds that if you don't have an advertising budget, you need to start a viral campaign. Start by telling your signifigant other about the channel. Got kids? tell them. Parents? Grandparents? Cousins? In-laws? Jamaican exchange student neighbor who dreams of opening a bakery some day? Tell them, tell them all. Don't stop there, ask them all very nicely to spread the word.
Then hit Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Reddit, 4chan, ect. and tell them you have a delightful Youtube channel and you think they should see it.

After you've spammed the internet, the rest is up to you. And the rest is hard work. Creating quality content. It doesn't sound like fun, but you will have to work this thing like it's your job. Make the best content you can. So viewers don't go "meh" and dismiss you as another fly-by-night wanna-be gamer Youtuber who wants to play video games for a living... and even then nothing is guaranteed. Speaking of which...

PewDiePie himself said in a Q&A that when he started, it was a lot easier to get views because not everyone and their dog was trying to get famous on Youtube. Today however, it's less like the wild west, and more like Hollywood. Meaning it's insanely unlikely you will get popular. PewDiePie then added that if hadn't started his channel back in the day, and started it now? It would probably be impossible to get the same kind of response he got when he started. He even said he felt sorry for young Youtubers because they don't have a very good chance of having success.

Basically, do a viral campaign. Work your ass off making great content, engage your audience... and hope for the best. And just know the chances of success are not high these days.
Thanks for the tips. I will start annoying some of my IRL people about this. Ironically, I will probably do that mostly on Facebook. I figure as long as I can keep enjoying the entire process, it should be less "work" and more "fun".

When I was looking at some of the existing Let's Players, taking notes on what they did that was successful, I noticed that I was fortunate that I was pretty much the same demographic as them; it is strange that all of these Let's Players are adult males - I haven't really seen too many younger ones, even though the kids are a big part of who watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathMaster View Post
I like the episode/ I had to laugh as you walked away to hunt.. I knew you would get lost. I have done the same thing and now I make sure to build something large with LOTS of torches so I can see it from anywhere. Then I saw you build something at the end, so it came back around. Good show!
Thanks, I'm really glad you liked it. Really, I should have known better than to leave without marking the area. It is really way more distracting than you'd expect to be talking the whole time, making it easy to overlook things like that.

That said, go post your comments about how awesome my video was on YouTube! Like, subscribe, comment! Like that, Wolvie?
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM   #35
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Quote:

This. Know why you're doing it, and be completely honest with yourself. My channel never made it off the ground because I knew that I was trying to do it for money because I hated my job. And that showed. That channel no longer exists.

I want to try again, but I'm still not sure I can do it because I like it.

That's all I've got.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
FFXIV: Assyndra Siafu on Hyperion (US)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #36
jpublic
Threadslayer

I don't know if this is possible with your current config, but you may want to consider raising your bitrate on the recording (or, if it's variable, raising the max). There were a lot of times when I was watching that I felt things got a bit blurry/muddy.

Edit: Rewatching parts, I wonder if it's the textures for grassy blocks.
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #37
Arphahat
AR-FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
I don't know if this is possible with your current config, but you may want to consider raising your bitrate on the recording (or, if it's variable, raising the max). There were a lot of times when I was watching that I felt things got a bit blurry/muddy.

Edit: Rewatching parts, I wonder if it's the textures for grassy blocks.
Was it on the first or second video? I tweaked my recording setup after the first video to try and correct that issue.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #38
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Ya know, it's funny how life works. This thread gets started, and we all start talking about how to get that YouTube money. And then this shows up in my Youtube subscriptions:

Hopefully that was helpful. Because I didn't watch it before I posted it.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #39
Arphahat
AR-FA

Quote:
Ya know, it's funny how life works. This thread gets started, and we all start talking about how to get that YouTube money. And then this shows up in my Youtube subscriptions:

Hopefully that was helpful. Because I didn't watch it before I posted it.
It was a commercial for a classes website, with his 2 hour video being there. Free trial, with money needed after. I might take a look at the site to see what is involved, since it is interesting to me, but I'm not convinced that this is a great deal.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #40
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Huh, well I tried?

Anyways, I just finished filming and editing together the first episode of Gaming Home School. It features me educating my daughter on the Atari 2600. Just need to slap together an Intro and an Outro and this puppy can go up on Youtube.