welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #41
MosBen
Colonist

One more thing, the Spaceventure game from Two Guys from Andromeda (creators of Spacequest) kind of looks like it's stalling out. They have something like 20 days left, but they haven't made it to the halfway point of their (possibly too-ambitious) $500k goal. I've ended up contributing to pretty much all of these nostalgia trip game proposals and while I wanted all of them to do as well as Double Fine Adventure or Wasteland 2, realistically all that matters is that they meet their funding so they can get made.

I wish Spaceventure could get some more exposure so it could get some new influx of support. It'd be a real bummer if these guys got back together after 20 years only to be the first of these nostalgia Kickstarters to fizzle out.
MosBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #42
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

Is this just for games? James Stokoe, of Orc Stain, is doing something different for his new comic, Sullivan's Sluggers. He's using Kickstarter as a special order tool. The comic book is only available through Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-graphic-novel

EDIT:
Automatic url parser breaks Kickstrater embeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #43
Rune_74
Colonist

Now this looks cool, Malevolence team put up a video for town interaction:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...5&play=1#video

Kind of getting excited for some old school rpg goodness with this one. They aren't asking for much either, like 6000.
Rune_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #44
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Anybody remember this awesome kids vs zombies pic?

The artist has teamed up with an indie game company to turn the concept into an online action game, and they have a Kickstarter.

There's a bit too little progress shown for me to put my cash on the line, but I wish them the best.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #45
Samitchdoo
Colonist

Send a message via ICQ to Samitchdoo Send a message via AIM to Samitchdoo Send a message via MSN to Samitchdoo Send a message via Yahoo to Samitchdoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosBen View Post
One more thing, the Spaceventure game from Two Guys from Andromeda (creators of Spacequest) kind of looks like it's stalling out. They have something like 20 days left, but they haven't made it to the halfway point of their (possibly too-ambitious) $500k goal. I've ended up contributing to pretty much all of these nostalgia trip game proposals and while I wanted all of them to do as well as Double Fine Adventure or Wasteland 2, realistically all that matters is that they meet their funding so they can get made.

I wish Spaceventure could get some more exposure so it could get some new influx of support. It'd be a real bummer if these guys got back together after 20 years only to be the first of these nostalgia Kickstarters to fizzle out.
According to one of the Kingdom of Loathing/Word Realms guys, they experienced the biggest donations at the beginning and end of their Kickstarter for a comic book while the middle period remained fairly small.

Another post contained links to a site called Kicktraq for tracking Kickstarter project progress and it shows several other projects that are experiencing a similar trend. Spaceventure is looking just as good as any of the others in that post, so all is not yet lost.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #46
crazyD
Nothing to see here

I was a little annoyed at first to see non-gaming stuff up on the official list, but then ended up buying into Sullivan's Sluggers. I love Amazing Joy Buzzards, and hadn't heard about this. Keep it up!
crazyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #47
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

I try to put 1 or 2 non video gaming entries in the post, just like I do with the In Other News posts. We're a gaming site, but we all have varied interests and more often than not those are the ones people talk about the most here.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #48
Pale Ale
Hi There

Oh man, this week didn't have a "resurrect my D20 game"!

YAY!!!!

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #49
Grifter
The Witchiest

I know you guys are probably tired of my shilling of Skyjacker but I just wanted to let you all know that they have restarted their project. Taking into account all the opinions and ideas from their backers they have completely redone their Kickstarter page and reward tiers to better explain the nature of their game and simplify the reward structuring system.

If this is something you may be interested in but weren't sure if you wanted to back it due to the confusing rewards I highly recommend you give it another look. They've also posted a couple links to some of the in game music tracks.

You can check it out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s/al-skyjacker

EDIT: Here's a soundforge link to one of their in game tracks http://soundcloud.com/skyjaker

All About Martial Arts / Martial Arts Entertainment / World Wide Dojo

Heatware Profile

Last edited by Grifter; 05-26-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #50
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

I don't recall any projects that have retried their Kickstarter campaign. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Zombie Playground is doing well, and added a bunch of new tier levels between $15-$60, including a very tempting $25 level that gives you some cool in-game items and a second copy of the game.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #51
Superman's Dead
And Loving Every Minute

Send a message via AIM to Superman's Dead
They weren't close to their goal, and probably weren't going to succeed. I wonder how much of it was really "Oh, yeah, we should do this better" and how much was "fuck, if we fail we're done". They had like 170,000 to go with 2 weeks left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm just going to hate everyone, to be safe.
PSN: clarkkentsdead
Superman's Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #52
Rune_74
Colonist

Hey guys a pretty cool space game could use a kick in the pants to get funded.

Kinetic Void which allows you to build your ship(has a demo for that) and fly it needs about 30k more in 3 days...I'm hoping it gets funded it looks great.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/kinetic-void
Rune_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #53
crazyD
Nothing to see here

The space genre is becoming oversaturated in kickstarter. I would get Kenetic Void, but I'm already on Skyjacker, Starlight Inception, and Drifter. How many indie space games do I really need?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #54
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
I don't recall any projects that have retried their Kickstarter campaign. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Zombie Playground is doing well, and added a bunch of new tier levels between $15-$60, including a very tempting $25 level that gives you some cool in-game items and a second copy of the game.
I went ahead and tossed in my $25. I like the concept and would like to see it happen.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #55
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbear View Post
I went ahead and tossed in my $25. I like the concept and would like to see it happen.
I have it in my watch list. If no other big kickstarters grab my interest in June I'll pull the trigger on the 2-pack.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #56
MosBen
Colonist

Zombie Playground sure looks good, but I'm too deep into other Kickstarter campaigns now. Hopefully when they're a few days away from the end of the campaign my wallet will have recovered a bit.

I do think they're really smart about having broken their project down into manageable chunks. They're over a third of the way to their minimum funding target after just a few days. It seems very unlikely that they won't at least get that initial $100k, which should go a long ways towards getting their game to come together into a state that they could shop it around to publishers. The more money they raise from Kickstarter, the less they have to ask for from publishers, which makes the game even more attractive from a publisher standpoint. And if they managed to get $2 million (though that seems very unlikely) they wouldn't need a publisher at all.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #57
MosBen
Colonist

As far as the space games go, I contributed to Drifter because it seemed the most likely to succeed and the information provided in the video was enough to get an idea of what they want to do. I wasn't super impressed with Kinetic Void, since I don't really have much interest in the ship building. Skyjacker has nice looking graphics, but I didn't think the video really got much across about what the game world is like. I'm looking for a Privateer-esque experience, and while the combat is important, I also want the feeling of a huge universe with lots of choices and possibilities. Skyjacker seemed to have the combat down, but that's all the video showed.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #58
crazyD
Nothing to see here

Well, Starjacker is focusing on combat, and not a Privateeresque experience. May not be what you are looking for.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #59
Grifter
The Witchiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosBen View Post
As far as the space games go, I contributed to Drifter because it seemed the most likely to succeed and the information provided in the video was enough to get an idea of what they want to do. I wasn't super impressed with Kinetic Void, since I don't really have much interest in the ship building. Skyjacker has nice looking graphics, but I didn't think the video really got much across about what the game world is like. I'm looking for a Privateer-esque experience, and while the combat is important, I also want the feeling of a huge universe with lots of choices and possibilities. Skyjacker seemed to have the combat down, but that's all the video showed.
There will be trading/buying/selling of both commodities and components as well as detailed ship customization. You should probably read the Kickstarter page including the FAQ, not just watch the video. There is a lot more info there that should answer most questions.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying that Skyjacker is going to be like privateer, the focus is definitely going to be on space combat but it's going to have a lot more than just good combat. They are shooting for an open world game style of gameplay with an emphasis on story. I really do think it's going to be a good mix of many different play mechanics with the ability to expand on specific features with future expansions.

All About Martial Arts / Martial Arts Entertainment / World Wide Dojo

Heatware Profile

Last edited by Grifter; 05-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #60
MosBen
Colonist

Yeah, I read the page as well, but I still think that they pitch video would be better if it wasn't just an excerpt of in-game footage. Having a real person talk about what the team is trying to do helps humanize the project as well as give some reassurance that there's enough manpower to complete the project as described.