welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief
 
DoctorFinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 16,453
Blog Entries: 10
[Report] SNES Mini Console In The Works

Last week we learned that Nintendo would be killing the NES Classic mini console. Now, according to Eurogamer, the other shoe drops: a SNES Classic mini console is on track for a launch this holiday season.

Details beyond that are slim, but what else do you need to know? The only question is whether this will include both SNES and NES games, or be limited to offerings from the 16 bit era. I presume an announcement will be coming around E3, which kicks off in about 10 weeks.

Source - Eurogamer
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
Wolvie
AKA JayBob
 
Wolvie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,411
Also, you won't be able to find one ANYWHERE.
__________________
Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Philonious
Colonist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,203
Cool. Now just make a nice VC (and maybe a classic controller) for the Switch and leave the mini-consoles to the general public.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Stoke
Act. Like. A. Dove.
 
Stoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,775
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to Stoke
If Nintendo has any sense at all they'll make more of these than the NES Classic and sell them at a higher price.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!
 
Gorvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dunedin, FL
Posts: 24,557
Blog Entries: 5
Now this I will totally buy for the kids.
__________________
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
johnperkins21
Colonist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
If Nintendo has any sense at all they'll make more of these than the NES Classic and sell them at a higher price.
They won't make more of them, but they'll charge $10 more for the machine. And they won't fix the issue with the controller cables.
__________________
PSN: johnperkins21 | Steam: johnperkins21 | XBL: johnperkins21
johnperkins21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
pomeroy
wtf
 
pomeroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
They won't make more of them, but they'll charge $10 more for the machine. And they won't fix the issue with the controller cables.
This seems accurate.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryfaced View Post
Never listen to Pomeroy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
You're crappy pizza.
pomeroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!
 
TheKeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bluffdale, Utah
Posts: 16,814
Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
Details beyond that are slim, but what else do you need to know?
What games will the machine have?


Honestly, if the NES Mini had had Contra, I might have sought it out.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil
 
maharahaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 3,003
Send a message via AIM to maharahaj
I had zero interest in the NES system but will pick up a mini SNES no matter what games are on it. Hoping Mario RPG is one of them.
maharahaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem
 
Young Al Capone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,095
Sounds cool. Like the NES Classic I want one and will pick one up if I can, at MSRP and without having to go way out of my way to do so. It still hasn't happened with the NES classic and is looking likely that it never will, so...
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
Philonious
Colonist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,203
The rights on SNES games will probably cost more than those for NES games, so I'd expect this to cost more than the NES Classic.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires
 
Mot Wakorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 2,734
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
What games will the machine have?


Honestly, if the NES Mini had had Contra, I might have sought it out.
Mine has it... now that I hacked it >.>
__________________
XBox Live: Mot Wakorb | PSN: YDKCooKiE
Mot Wakorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!
 
TheKeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bluffdale, Utah
Posts: 16,814
Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post
Mine has it... now that I hacked it >.>
Well, so does my PC.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #14
Dav Slinker
stay woke
 
Dav Slinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 10,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post
Mine has it... now that I hacked it >.>
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
Well, so does my PC.
I mean yeah, if we're talking about pushing hardware past developer limits, then my goddamn chromebook and PSP both have access to all those games as well.
__________________
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #15
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires
 
Mot Wakorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 2,734
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
I mean yeah, if we're talking about pushing hardware past developer limits, then my goddamn chromebook and PSP both have access to all those games as well.


PSP was such a good emulation machine...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
XBox Live: Mot Wakorb | PSN: YDKCooKiE
Mot Wakorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #16
Narradisall
Cookies
 
Narradisall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 21,647
My partner put me off getting a NES but no way she's doing that for a SNES.

Be interesting to see how Nintendo handles this release...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Gamertag: Narradisall
Steam ID: Narradisall
Narradisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #17
Dav Slinker
stay woke
 
Dav Slinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 10,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post
PSP was such a good emulation machine...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, it still is. I have one myself with custom firmware and it's still better in a number of areas than the 3DS.

BUT I hear it pales in comparison to devices like the shield.
__________________
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #18
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires
 
Mot Wakorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 2,734
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
My partner put me off getting a NES but no way she's doing that for a SNES.

Be interesting to see how Nintendo handles this release...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It needs the sliding power buttons, just like the original SNES.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
XBox Live: Mot Wakorb | PSN: YDKCooKiE
Mot Wakorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #19
johnperkins21
Colonist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
Well, it still is. I have one myself with custom firmware and it's still better in a number of areas than the 3DS.

BUT I hear it pales in comparison to devices like the shield.
I love my Shield as an emulator. It's great to take on trips with me, especially with the Shield Controller, which is basically a Wi-Fi 360 controller. It can easily handle anything up to the PS1 era. I'm really hoping they come out with an updated device eventually that still supports the controller as it's starting to run a bit sluggish as a tablet.
__________________
PSN: johnperkins21 | Steam: johnperkins21 | XBL: johnperkins21
johnperkins21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #20
Dav Slinker
stay woke
 
Dav Slinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 10,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
I love my Shield as an emulator. It's great to take on trips with me, especially with the Shield Controller, which is basically a Wi-Fi 360 controller. It can easily handle anything up to the PS1 era. I'm really hoping they come out with an updated device eventually that still supports the controller as it's starting to run a bit sluggish as a tablet.
How's the battery life?
__________________
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
// Google Analytics - Must remain as a separate script // External Source Executed