welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > PC Gaming Sanctuary

Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #41
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphahat View Post
My only concern is that the computer would be online without an antivirus. Probably ok, but I don't need more nonsense to deal with.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Windows Defender. It's part of Win 10, so there's no reason to be online without protection.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #42
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Windows Defender should in theory kick on automatically when Panda is uninstalled. The system checks for an AV product and disables it normally. Did I see previously that it was running in tandem with Panda though? That could be an issue.

And I agree MBAM rarely if ever needs to be run in Safe Mode any more. Update it and let it rip if you have it installed already.

If you want a different AV product other than Panda or Defender. I know I use Avast (free), but even that has become bloated over the last year or two. Maybe someone else can recommend a good AV if needed.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #43
Arphahat
AR-FA

So, uninstalling Panda has resolved the issue. Yay! Windows Defender is being derpy and refuses to activate, insisting that some other AV software is running. Maybe it counts Malwarebytes? Anyhow, it isn't on and also complains there is no AV software, so f that.

I used to use Avast, but got tired of how bloated it became, which is why I switched to Panda. I think I'm going to give Bitdefender a chance, as it is ranked pretty high at Tom's Hardware.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #44
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Do some more testing of course. I would suggest BitDefender or Avira as those seem to be the most popular options from what I am seeing.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #45
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphahat View Post
So, uninstalling Panda has resolved the issue. Yay! Windows Defender is being derpy and refuses to activate, insisting that some other AV software is running. Maybe it counts Malwarebytes? Anyhow, it isn't on and also complains there is no AV software, so f that.

I used to use Avast, but got tired of how bloated it became, which is why I switched to Panda. I think I'm going to give Bitdefender a chance, as it is ranked pretty high at Tom's Hardware.
Did you use the Windows uninstaller? If so, there's a reasonable chance that it left something behind that is causing a conflict. Panda has their own uninstaller that is recommended. Here it is. NOTE - that's a direct URL to the uninstaller executable.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #46
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits View Post
Did you use the Windows uninstaller? If so, there's a reasonable chance that it left something behind that is causing a conflict. Panda has their own uninstaller that is recommended. Here it is. NOTE - that's a direct URL to the uninstaller executable.
And if that fails: Revo uninstaller should help. The free portable version is what I use.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #47
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
Why wouldn't he be doing a full scan?

Last time we had an outbreak here at the office, the only way to clean it was through safe mode. I haven't really had to clean a machine in a few years, so it's entirely possible they have gotten better. Just a suggestion since he's already tried running a scan normally.
Because MBAM does a horrible job of showing where to do it, most time it does its "smart scan". On top of that, it can't search the ACTIVE registry if you're using different accounts on the machine, which gives a chance of reinfection. There are better tools that get deep without ever having to enter safe mode and clean up - MBAM is hardly a be-all, end-all removal tool, I trust it to do "final cleanup" but never the initial clean.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #48
Arphahat
AR-FA

So, thanks all for the help and suggestions. The path from the beginning to the solution was complicated and I really appreciate the effort and thought you all put into this.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #49
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Well, as the first person to reply, I am going to take full credit for this... even though I contributed nothing after that.

Seriously though, glad to hear things worked out. It's always cool to see the people here rally to help each other.
A. Yes.
Q. Let the record reflect that I am making little air quotes with my fingers around the word 'confession.'
Judge: So noted.
Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #50
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Good to know. I've never had that problem but it makes a lot of sense!
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #51
Troggles
Nice shot!

I'm just glad I got you to buy a new network card. I got a lot of stock in network card manufacturers and times have been tough lately.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM   #52
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post
Because MBAM does a horrible job of showing where to do it, most time it does its "smart scan". On top of that, it can't search the ACTIVE registry if you're using different accounts on the machine, which gives a chance of reinfection. There are better tools that get deep without ever having to enter safe mode and clean up - MBAM is hardly a be-all, end-all removal tool, I trust it to do "final cleanup" but never the initial clean.
That makes sense. Like I've said, I haven't actually had to run a full scan in quite some time, and I haven't used Malwarebytes in at least 5 years.