welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > Console Haven

Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
MagGnome
Déjà vu

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Welcome to the discussion thread for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch and Wii U.

MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
MagGnome
Déjà vu

The screenshot in the OP is my own, by the way. I love the screenshot button on Switch.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
This game seems so dumb and boring. I'm glad I don't have the means with which to play it.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I've probably put 20 hours into this game, I'm on maybe the 3 or 4th step of the first quest chain.

"Zelda: Oo, What's Over There? Oh, Now What's Over There? Oh Damn, Look at That, That Has to Be Something (Yep, It Was)"
Old 03-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
I've probably put 20 hours into this game, I'm on maybe the 3 or 4th step of the first quest chain.

"Zelda: Oo, What's Over There? Oh, Now What's Over There? Oh Damn, Look at That, That Has to Be Something (Yep, It Was)"
I'm only around 8 hours in, but that is spot on. After leaving The Great Plateau I started heading toward the first objective, but I quickly got distracted and have been wandering the countryside ever since. There's a lot to see and do even in a relatively small area. It also has that Skyrim element of "harvest all the things", and finding hidden Koroks is a lot of fun. The game has way more content than any previous title in the series, which is impressive.

Has anyone encountered one of the fire wizards yet? I thought it was an NPC and ran towards it. Big mistake and I was dead within 30 seconds. Shortly after that I went through my first blood moon, which was confusing at first but is a really neat idea.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Other reviewers have already said as much, but leave it to Nintendo to sort of school the industry first time out, with regard to open world design. It can't be anything other than intentional with the skill shown, but almost every sight line is perfectly planned out.

If you see a vantage point, either natural or "man-made", if you climb to the top, you'll see at least two or three interesting things.

Sure, you can see forever in Skyrim or Wildlands, but most of the time it's just (gorgeous, granted) scenery. Looking into the distance in BotW is a game mechanic.

Major elements are almost always visible in the distance and Shrines and other little puzzle areas are tucked away into the landscape such that you can completely walk right past them unless you get up and high and see the visual clue to know that something interesting is there.

The frame rate is really a bummer at times, but it's a small complaint given this is all coming out of something smaller than my ipad mini.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Yep, climbing is essential. I thought maybe it was being overblown in reviews, but you'll miss a lot of neat places and secrets if you don't take advantage of towers and high land. No part of the map that I've seen is truly empty. Even an area that seems desolate at first holds rewards for those who stop and look around.

Witcher 3 is the only other open world game I've played that made exploration feel so worthwhile.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I'm only around 8 hours in, but that is spot on. After leaving The Great Plateau I started heading toward the first objective, but I quickly got distracted and have been wandering the countryside ever since. There's a lot to see and do even in a relatively small area. It also has that Skyrim element of "harvest all the things", and finding hidden Koroks is a lot of fun. The game has way more content than any previous title in the series, which is impressive.

Has anyone encountered one of the fire wizards yet? I thought it was an NPC and ran towards it. Big mistake and I was dead within 30 seconds. Shortly after that I went through my first blood moon, which was confusing at first but is a really neat idea.

Wait until you meet ice and electric wizzrobes. You'll love those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
The screenshot in the OP is my own, by the way. I love the screenshot button on Switch.
I just pulled off a bunch of mine this morning. Kind of disappointing that they are in 720p, as I would have totally used them as wallpapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post
Shoot them in the face. Literally.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Yeah, I am consistently astounded by how important climbing is in this game, both for finding cool shit that is up high and for getting your bearings / getting the drop on enemies / finding places to go. This game feels more genuinely excited about exploration than anything I've played in years. Maybe ever.

A story from the weekend:

I went back to the Plateau after finding Kakariko and whatever the next village was, because I wanted to see what I'd missed up there (which turned out to be quite a bit). After doing that for about an hour, I glidered off the north edge into the Gatepost Town ruins.

In the fields nearby, I came across a group of wild horses, and I hadn't messed with that yet, so I figured okay, let's try this out. The grey horse I picked out of the pack kicked me off and ran several times, but eventually I managed to calm him down and we rode around for awhile and it was cool and peaceful and nice. I fucking love that there's a "bond with your horse" mechanic that you need to interact with if you want them to obey you.

And then we came across the Central Tower, so obviously I was gonna go up there. I could see from a distance that around the base of the tower were a bunch of rusted-out guardians, and those were pretty clearly going to wake up when I got close, so I thought "okay, let's not spook the horse" and I left him on the side of a nearby hill while I went to the tower.

I managed to get to the top of the tower without getting lasered by the inert guardians, which felt pretty great, but while I was up there, an up-and-walking-around guardian came traipsing over the horizon. So I'm stuck on top of this tower looking down at the massive death robot that (1) is definitely for sure going to murder me when I get down there, and (2) will probably kill my new horse friend, and neither of those sound good to me.

And the first 3 times I tried to glide off that tower, (1) is absolutely what Mr Death Robot did. But on the fourth time, I managed to glider safely right to my horse. And it was the raddest most cinematic goddamn thing. There were lasers shooting past me in the air, and I landed next to my horse and got on his back, and then we were racing down the hill with this giant stompy death machine chasing us and blowing up rocks and trees as we ran. It was like it came out of the trailer for the game or a Miyazaki anime except I was playing it.

So, long story long, we got away and that horse is my best friend now and I rode him all the way back to the Dueling Peaks stables to be sure I could keep him.

And it's just a thing that happened, like, nobody programmed that to occur, I just happened to tame a horse and find that tower and get trapped by a murder machine. And this game generates stuff like that all the time.

I am in love and want to be there all day right now.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Got my copy in the mail(YAAAAAY!)!

Waiting for the stupid update patch to download(Boooooooo...).

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Avnovice
If anyone has an android device, someone put out a "Chef of the Wild" app that helps to keep track of the recipes you'll come across in Breath of the Wild.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
MagGnome
Déjà vu

That's a great idea, thanks for sharing. I wish the game had a recipe book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post
Oh boy, I can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetcraft View Post
I just pulled off a bunch of mine this morning. Kind of disappointing that they are in 720p, as I would have totally used them as wallpapers.
Are they 720p even when taken in docked mode? Twitter reduces them even further, which is annoying.

Edit - Wow, great story Ravenlock!! Now I'm going back to play again.

Last edited by MagGnome; 03-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Yeah, they are in 720 and the moreover their JPEG compression sucks. Hopefully they'll patch in .png support in the future, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

Received my WiiU copy. Probably hook up the machine tonight and wait for the patch to download overnight.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #16
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
Yeah, they are in 720 and the moreover their JPEG compression sucks. Hopefully they'll patch in .png support in the future, but that's probably wishful thinking.
It's a shame as the game is absolutely gorgeous on my TV.

Some of my screenshots still look quite nice though. Example:

Although I just noticed that one of Link's feet is floating, oops! Maybe his balance is just that good.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Yeah, that's definitely good compared to what I can get out of the Wii U (which I have to do by going to Miiverse, posting the screenshot, and then pulling it down from the web).

Even some of those have turned out alright, but not nearly as nice as the Switch ones.

God damn it is just such a gorgeous game.

If you want better screenshots (which as you'll see I figured out for the top two above), go into the Options and switch HUD to "Pro" before you take it. Gets rid of the clutter.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #18
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

So, I basically did this tonight:

Glided in through the eye hole of one of those skull fort things, ran into a flaming lantern thing that was hanging from the ceiling, which fell onto the ground below. The ground just happened to have a bunch of exploding barrels, which promptly exploded and killed all of the enemies inside.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #19
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Cool!

Ravenlock, I know about the HUD, I'm just lazy. Nice shots though!
Old 03-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
Troggles
Nice shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
Yeah, that's definitely good compared to what I can get out of the Wii U (which I have to do by going to Miiverse, posting the screenshot, and then pulling it down from the web).
I know it's way too late now, but you can take screenshots easier on the WiiU if you just hit home wherever you want the screenshot and go to imgur. It will upload whatever is frozen in game.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote