welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 02-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #21
civil_dead
1% Prick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbax View Post
Subscription games sounds like an alright idea… but my gut tells me they are going to restrict it to older titles… which are generally on sale anyway so I'm not entirely sure it'd be worth it compared to just buying the few you're interested in keeping
I am most likely in the minority on this site, but perhaps not in the outside world in that A) I don't replay games and B) I'm not interested in collecting games or keeping them when I'm done. Time was I would buy a game, finish it, and trade it in at Gamestop. Digital, to me, meant I would be "stuck" with something I didn't want once I was finished and I felt I was wasting money. Now though, I'd rather stab myself in the eye than go into a Gamestop and so something like this, a subscription service, is perfect--if the library is interesting.

There are other factors, to be sure, but that's why something like this would work for someone like me. If you're a collector then yeah, I can definitely see the drawbacks.

- Zeal
civil_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #22
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Holy cow, it's good to see you around.
It's good to be back
Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #23
Zanzibar
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
List of games don't look super great as a list of games that most XBox people have / have played. It's a great service for folks just getting an XBox though.

Current list of games in preview:

A Kingdom for Keflings
Banjo-Kazooie
Comic Jumper
Dark Void
Defense Grid 2
Gears of War Judgement
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Monday Night Combat
Ms. Splosion Man
OF: Dragon Rising
Perfect Dark Zero
Sacred 3
Sam&Max Beyond Time
Sunset Overdrive
The Maw
Viva Pinata
Yeah, as a longtime Gold member I've already downloaded many of those games on my XB1 or X360 for free via Games With Gold, so the service might make sense for the first-time Xbox buyers but not for me.
Zanzibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #24
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
Yeah, as a longtime Gold member I've already downloaded many of those games on my XB1 or X360 for free via Games With Gold, so the service might make sense for the first-time Xbox buyers but not for me.
One thing to bear in mind is that that is the list the alpha preview folks get. It's not a final list by any means.
biosc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #25
jeffbax
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_dead View Post
I am most likely in the minority on this site, but perhaps not in the outside world in that A) I don't replay games and B) I'm not interested in collecting games or keeping them when I'm done. Time was I would buy a game, finish it, and trade it in at Gamestop. Digital, to me, meant I would be "stuck" with something I didn't want once I was finished and I felt I was wasting money. Now though, I'd rather stab myself in the eye than go into a Gamestop and so something like this, a subscription service, is perfect--if the library is interesting.

There are other factors, to be sure, but that's why something like this would work for someone like me. If you're a collector then yeah, I can definitely see the drawbacks.
If you are ok waiting to play the latest and greatest, this will probably be good, or maybe a supplement… but I don't expect to see new games on here quickly and them give up that way bigger profit margin.

Subscriptions are for making money off the long tail by and large… kind of like how Steam sales make you hoard games you never play just because they are so cheap.

Still, might be a deal for some… but I also imagine that it won't be like Netflix where you get the whole library, it probably is going to rotate what is in.
jeffbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

I mean I am still chugging along on Witcher 3. I rarely have tome to play the latest games, so this might be a service for me. The game selection still needs to be better.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote