welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #41
civil_dead
1% Prick.

Sweet Jesus, y'all are right. Christ, this year's crop will keep me busy for a long time. I had forgotten about Yakuza. I can't recall such a compressed time period where I wanted to play so many current games. Usually, it's two or three the games a year that feel I I must play. This year is bonkers.

- Zeal
civil_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #42
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_dead View Post
Sweet Jesus, y'all are right. Christ, this year's crop will keep me busy for a long time. I had forgotten about Yakuza. I can't recall such a compressed time period where I wanted to play so many current games. Usually, it's two or three the games a year that feel I I must play. This year is bonkers.
Usually there's games people are going nuts for, but I generally don't care about most of them. This year it seems like there's far more games coming out that are right up my alley.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #43
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I can't check this until later tonight, but I read about a pretty big thing I missed, at least for people still in the early-ish parts of the game (I'm clearing any and all side content).

I didn't have access to high tear arrows until I bought the blue, mid level sharpshooter bow (thing owns, get it as soon as you see it, the tear-concussion effect is killer, though ammo is pretty expensive).

BUT, I read today that you can actually craft and fire tear arrows (called hardpoint arrows I think) from any hunting bow, you just have to have bought that ammo type from a merchant to open this up (which is not how ammo for all other weapons work, wep has to "support" that type).

If this is true, it's a game changer, elemental matching and high tear are what takes certain mechs from mini bosses to "I'll farm 2-3 of these at once for mats nbd"

Last edited by digitalErich; 03-02-2017 at 01:44 PM.
digitalErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #44
biosc1
monoputer

I was wondering what the 'tear' thing does. I put a tear mod on my bow. I'll have to find a merchant and see if I can still buy that ammo type.

I do love my sniper 'sharpshooter' bow.

Last edited by biosc1; 03-02-2017 at 03:26 PM.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #45
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
I was wondering what the 'tear' thing does. I put a tear mod on my bow. I'll have to find a merchant and see if I can still buy that ammo type.

I do love my sniper 'war' bow.
It makes your arrows cry.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #46
Philonious
Colonist

Anyone playing on a Pro have thoughts about which setting to use?
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #47
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Quote:

I do love my sniper 'war' bow.
Tear knocks parts and armor off, but does low direct dmg (though removal of "special" parts does dmg, so indirectly it can wreck when you remove or detonate a yellow part). You prob won't notice a difference with like a +6% tear mod, but if you get the green ropecaster or the blue Carja sharpshooter bow (second ammo type), which have 100+ tear rankings, you can pop off parts in one shot.

The sharpshooter bow is really neat, if fires an arrow that, after impact, shoots out a concussive tear blast. Fire one into something like a Grazer and literally it's a parts pinata, one shot kill, all components go flying off...it's like a mats fountain.

Last edited by digitalErich; 03-02-2017 at 03:30 PM.
digitalErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #48
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

And here I thought this game had less strategy than the Witcher 3. I can see it has just as much, only in a different stealthy shooty bang kinda way.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #49
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
Tear knocks parts and armor off, but does low direct dmg (though removal parts does dmg, so indirectly it can wreck when you remove or detonate a yellow part). You prob won't notice a difference with like a +6% tear mod, but if you get the green ropecaster or the blue Carja sharpshooter bow (second ammo type), which have 100+ tear rankings, you can pop off parts in one shot.

The sharpshooter bow is really neat, if fires an arrow that, after impact, shoots out a concussive tear blast. Fire one into something like a Grazer and literally it's a parts pinata, one shot kill, all components go flying off...it's like a mats fountain.
Yah, just grabbed the Carja sharpshooter and added a 27% tear mod to it. Did a hunter trial where you had to knock off 10 canisters from grazers...took me about 30 seconds :P
Old 03-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #50
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Quote:
Yah, just grabbed the Carja sharpshooter and added a 27% tear mod to it. Did a hunter trial where you had to knock off 10 canisters from grazers...took me about 30 seconds :P
Yep, I got bronze the first time I tried it, went back with that bow, 35 seconds only because I missed two shots...1/3 of the Gold timer.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #51
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Also, it's a small thing, but this game has the best 'forest-at-night' atmosphere of any game I've ever played.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #52
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

The hunter trials... Kinda annoying. Kinda fun. Can't stop till I pass them!

Old 03-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #53
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I've only done the one, but something I was curious about but never paid attention to: does running those trials deplete your ammo? Like, can you run out of trip wires trying to gold the trip wire hunt over and over or do you need to save scum?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #54
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
I've only done the one, but something I was curious about but never paid attention to: does running those trials deplete your ammo? Like, can you run out of trip wires trying to gold the trip wire hunt over and over or do you need to save scum?
Considering you can loot the animals for scrap metal over and over as well as foraging for wood is plentiful, I'd say no? Not unless you're a terrible shot like me.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #55
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Yeah, but some of the resources for traps and slings are not as common as, say, arrows. Even then, some of them (like tear sharpshooter arrows) are not cheap either. It's that type of ammo that I'm more precious about.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #56
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

.... Very true. Hmmm... Maybe you might have to save scum.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #57
biosc1
monoputer

You guys suck, just do it on the first try....jeesh
Old 03-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #58
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Well I did finish the first two trials on the first go. Got gold even. The third... Bronze on the second try is good right? Right!? *Sob*

Old 03-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #59
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Quote:
You guys suck, just do it on the first try....jeesh
I thought you were being sarcastic, but I gold'd the 2nd and 3rd trial at the first hunting grounds first try

Has anyone figure out the mech behavior in this game, it seems pretty dynamic, but I can't quite figure it out. Sometimes (maybe it's fire) a Sawtooth seems afraid to close the gap on me, other times they're ripping me to pieces in seconds.

And the grazing, herd mechs, sometimes they charge, other times they flee, but I can't really see a pattern to when and why for the different behaviors.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #60
digitalErich
Mathematical!

If anyone finds a really good advanced combat guide or video, please post it. I feel like there're layers to the combat that I'm missing.