welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 02-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #21
Stoke
Act. Like. A. Dove.

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
Every fansite/fan community is that bad. Vita sites are the absolute worst.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #22
Generation ABXY
Thằn Lằn Ôm Cột

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
A lot of Nintendo "fans" are having a meltdown over this. Then again many of them are in a near-constant state of meltdown. I don't read Xbox or PlayStation fansites, are they that bad?
Wait, good meltdown or bad meltdown? Even as a Nintendo fan, it is hard for me to get "excited" about this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Ale View Post
You really are a living, breathing American Gothic Novel
Generation ABXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #23
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Every fansite/fan community is that bad. Vita sites are the absolute worst.
Hey now, that is unfair!

We all know Vita has no fans.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #24
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation ABXY View Post
Wait, good meltdown or bad meltdown? Even as a Nintendo fan, it is hard for me to get "excited" about this...
A bad meltdown. Choice comments include "Nintendo has betrayed me! They are just as bad as EA now!" and "I'm done with videogames!" Obviously some are excited, but as you know angry gamers are very noisy.

I really shouldn't read the comments, but the tantrums over the most trivial of things can be rather amusing.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #25
rein
Colonist

Quote:
A bad meltdown. Choice comments include "Nintendo has betrayed me! They are just as bad as EA now!" and "I'm done with videogames!" Obviously some are excited, but as you know angry gamers are very noisy.

I really shouldn't read the comments, but the tantrums over the most trivial of things can be rather amusing.
I'm not going to have a meltdown over it but IMO paid DLC before a game even releases is not trivial. Especially a mini map feature and hard mode. Both things that sound like they should be included with the original game.

The reason the console gaming industry has evolved the way it has is because we let it. I'm not sure how much Nintendo plans to charge for online play yet but we're already at over $100 a year for the other two consoles. Toss in Nintendo's $30-$50 bucks and we're reaching a cost I do not want to pay just for the luxury of playing my console games online. I get it, I am probably in a minority since game companies have found out most will pay for online and DLC content.

I'm still not going to throw a tantrum but I will be a lot more picky about games I buy and especially when it comes to the added cost. As for Nintendo's pay service. I doubt I pay for a more than a month or two each year. Nintendo has not shown me enough in the past that makes me think I will need a full year subscription.

I'm starting to re-think this hobby more so than I ever have in the past though. At least the console side of things. I might just say F it someday and go retro console and arcade.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #26
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Yeah, the online subscription thing is a huge problem for me. I'd rather deal with their dodgy services now for free than pay for better. I already pay my internet company for a decent online connection I don't need Nintendo dipping their hands in yet another pocket.

Honestly, I like the idea of the switch the more time I spend with my pc the more I realize I need an unlocked device so I can do whatever I want with it. I have a psp and a 3DS and they have custom firmware. I have a chromebook but it has a Linux distro on it. I'd rather have autonomy over what programs and data go on my devices than deal with an infrastructure that's neutered.

And the firmware cracking of the Switch is likely a long way off. I'll stick with my 3DS on the go and my pc at home rather than swap for something with either a much more limited library, or battery life, or both.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #27
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

I definitely won't be paying for online. I cannot even remember the last time I took a nintendo game online, must have been Mario Kart 8.

If I had any self control I would only own a Nintendo handheld and my PC. I get more quality gaming out of those two platforms than I really can keep up with.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #28
MagGnome
Déjà vu

YAC, that's basically what I do, though I do have a Wii U. PC + Switch will give me far more games than I have time to play. Honestly I could go back to PC only and have more than enough to play.

Rein, I totally get it. I'm not keen on paying for online either, and I doubt I'll do so on the Switch unless something changes. I don't do much online gaming. Certainly not enough to warrant paying extra money for P2P matchmaking.

As for the DLC, they are announcing it now, but the content isn't coming until summer and the end of the year, so I doubt it's content that was deliberately removed. Apparently the game already has a hard/Hero mode, and the mode being added in the summer adds an even higher level of difficulty. I'm not the kind of gamer who plays on high difficulty anyway, so I'll likely ignore that addition. The holiday pack intrigues me though. A whole new sidestory with 8-10 hours of gameplay would be well worth $20 to me. We'll see what it is later this year I guess.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
Generation ABXY
Thằn Lằn Ôm Cột

Quote:

Ah, okay. Again, not happy, here, but DLC is just the nature of the industry, these days. Still, for me, it only really makes sense with open world games (GTA, Red Dead, etc.). Not sure how well it will gel with a series like The Legend of Zelda, which I admittedly have not played in awhile, but I guess we'll see...
Quote:
Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #30
Wilkz07
blarg?

my library will get the wii-u version and i can play it there. the extra dlc doesn't seem like it needs to be paid content.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #31
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation ABXY View Post
Ah, okay. Again, not happy, here, but DLC is just the nature of the industry, these days. Still, for me, it only really makes sense with open world games (GTA, Red Dead, etc.). Not sure how well it will gel with a series like The Legend of Zelda, which I admittedly have not played in awhile, but I guess we'll see...
This Zelda is much more open world than past titles. I'm hoping that means less hand holding as the series is often really bad about that. I would love to see a Zelda game approach, say, Witcher 3 in breadth of scope. I can dream, right?

As for the meltdown, Nintendo has two front page articles on the DLC that combined have over 800 comments, more than I've seen for almost any other topic on the site. I skimmed but then stopped when I realized what a waste of time that is.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #32
Generation ABXY
Thằn Lằn Ôm Cột

Oh, I guess Zelda has evolved considerably since the last one I played. On consoles, I think that was... Twilight Princess? And I'm not sure that I even finished that one.
Quote:
Old 02-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #33
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I haven't played Skyward Sword, but from what I understand it was pretty linear like most entries in the series. Breath of the Wild is the first one that is an "open world" game, although Link Between Worlds on the 3DS was a little less linear than past entries in the series.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #34
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Quote:
I haven't played Skyward Sword, but from what I understand it was pretty linear like most entries in the series.
I can confirm.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #35
Abyssion
Every ****ing Day.

I think it's worth mentioning that the video says A New Hard Mode and not just Hard Mode. So it could be an additional challenge. But since there's hardly any details I could be wrong.

Brb, going to Ethiopia to whine about being hungry.

EDIT: They kicked my ass.
3DS: 3523-2187-8878
PSN: AbyssionX
Abyssion is offline   Reply With Quote