Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Avnovice
The Legend of Zelda WiiU

*Japanese Website
*North American teaser Website

*Japan: 2017
*North America: 2017

Last edited by Evil Avnovice; 12-07-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Evil Avnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:34 AM   #2
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

I'll start off with a few screen grabs from the E3 2014 trailer: (Gamekyo)

You can also wield them as desktop wallpaper, if you're so inclined. (NintendoLife)
Old 06-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

In a Kotaku interview during E3 2014 with Eiji Aonuma involving Hyrule Warriors, they managed to slip in some questions about The Legend of Zelda WiiU.

Aonuma mentioned that he's looking to change up how puzzles are handled in this installment:

Quote:
Schreier: I just have to slip in one question that a lot of people are wondering—Mr. Aonuma, you've talked a lot about changing traditions and shifting away from the series formulas. Can you give me one example of a tradition that people are familiar with in Zelda that you've changed in a big way for the new Zelda that you're working on for next year?

Aonuma: So you know we've talked a little bit today about the puzzle-solving element in Zelda, and how that's kinda taken a different shape in Hyrule Warriors. But I think people have come to just assume that puzzle-solving will exist in a Zelda game, and I kinda wanna change that, maybe turn it on its ear.

As a player progresses through any game, they're making choices. They're making hopefully logical choices to progress them in the game. And when I hear 'puzzle solving' I think of like moving blocks so that a door opens or something like that. But I feel like making those logical choices and taking information that you received previously and making decisions based on that can also be a sort of puzzle-solving. So I wanna kinda rethink or maybe reconstruct the idea of puzzle-solving within the Zelda universe.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Boxman108
Colonist

Glad that they decided to go with cel-shading rather than the same old washed out realistic style found in nearly every other game out there. Also like Link's new design.
Boxman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #5
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Not only will The Legend of Zelda WiiU offer freedom of exploration, Eiji Aonuma says that he's looking to incorporate that same aspect in the game's plot. (GenGAME)
Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 AM   #6
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

MMGN held an interview with Eiji Aonuma during E3 2014, that while focusing on Hyrule Warriors for the time, the interviewer was able to gleam some details about The Legend of Zelda WiiU.

What Aonuma revealed was the (possible) size of Zelda WiiU's game world, and a few ideas for rewarding players that explore it:

Quote:
MMGN: This is the first truly open world in a Zelda game — you showed how Zelda has progressed since the NES in terms of map layout and movement — so in the biggest world yet, how “big” can we expect?

Mr. Aonuma: "In terms of the scale of the new Zelda world on Wii U, I always think of Kyoto as my base.

Do you know Kyoto?"

MMGN: Ummm…a little [laughs]
Quote:
MMGN: How do you plan to reward players for exploring this world? Is it in terms of unique areas to visually enjoy or weapons and upgrades that otherwise won’t be found?

Mr. Aonuma: "I guess the reward for exploring the world will be the acquired experience.

"You always need to make a plan when you’re travelling, even in real life you need to decide if you’re going to drive or take the train, and the decisions you make impact your experience. You could start walking and realise you can’t get to a place by walking so you regret it and learn something, like realising there’s an obstacle that has to be overcome in a different way.

"In the Zelda world, in the process of overcoming that obstacle, you’ll definitely acquire new experiences and sometimes new abilities. In the process of planning and executing to get to your goal, you’ll become more familiar with the terrain and you’ll acquire new abilities and new knowledge that will help you progress even further in the game, just like in real life."
Old 07-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

In a recent Nintendo News feature, Eiji Aonuna spoke a bit about The Legend of Zelda's world, and rethinking the franchise's traditions: (NintendoEverything)

Quote:
I still won’t say so much about this, but we made it a theme of sorts to review the commonplaces of Zelda. In the Wii U version, I feel like I have to say, “the game will take place in a vast world!” For example, “If you go to the other side of that mountain, what will happen?” or “I have seen this from this side, but I wonder what appears from the other side.” You can play like this, but you might not be that free in the game quite yet. At this time in the Wii U version, if you just think you can continue walking freely, beyond the mountains, over the valleys, you will just continue to walk until you’re very far away. So how you will play the new Zelda, well… I look forward to how everyone will do so!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

The Legend of Zelda WiiU's japanese website contain a description which hints that Link could have a new main boss to take on: (My Nintendo News)

Quote:
“This software is a Wii U Edition new legend of Zelda series. Faced with mysteries in the world of Zelda spread indefinitely without boundaries, a new link, a new nemesis.”
Old 07-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Troggles
Nice shot!

...who will ultimately be working under Ganondorf. :P
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #10
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

In this GiantBomb interview with Eiji Aonuma and Koei Tecmo Executive Producer, Hisashi Koinuma over Hyrule Warriors:

Towards the end of the interview, Aonuma talks about how working on Hyrule Warriors made him rethink about how to reapproach development on The Legend of Zelda U, and that parts of that title (Hyrule Warriors) could influence Zelda due to his time working together with Koei Tecmo:
Quote:
In fact, working on Hyrule Warriors has given Aonuma some pause about his own game. While he wasn't ready to divulge many specifics, Aonuma did tease how the dynamics of Zelda might be changing next year.

"You have this map and there are battle areas all across this expansive battlefield," he said, describing Hyrule Warriors. "Things are happening, regardless of whether or not you’re in this particular space. How you approach reclaiming these different areas on the map really changes how you progress through the game. So it’s really, really dynamic, it’s really, really expansive. It also increases replay value because if you change your strategy, your process will also change. Having worked on a game that has this kind of expansive battlefield style has really opened my eyes to new discoveries, and my thought and approach to gameplay has really deepened. I see many, many possibilities now that I’ve worked on this project with Tecmo Koei."

Last edited by Evil Avnovice; 08-08-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Evil Avnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Zelda Developer Plays Another Game, Discovers Possibilities! News at 11.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

In the next issue of EDGE Magazine (#271), there's a 13-page feature which looks at a few upcoming WiiU titles, with Eiji Aonuma a being involved.

This is taken out of context for now, but Aonuma mentions that the way The Legend of Zelda WiiU's open world will work will be extremely different from how others have done it in the past: (NeoGaf, page 2, post #79)

Quote:
"Since we're talking about open worlds, let's state upfront that we don't plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years. "
Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
Dualonymous
Colonist

Honestly, fill me in if it's obvious. But what does that even mean.
3DS: 0447 - 6667 - 7862
Steam ID: Dualshotty23

OriginID:Dualshotty23
Dualonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:07 AM   #14
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

The full Eiji Aonuma quote from the latest issue of EDGE Magazine: (Zelda Informer)

Quote:
"Since we’re talking about open worlds, let’s state upfront that we don’t plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years.

"In the original Legend of Zelda, there was no clear way to lead the character to his goal. The player was trusted to find it by themselves. As game worlds became more complex, we had to point players in the right direction. Consequently progress becomes more linear. To recreate an experience similar to the original, the world needs to have a simple structure that players can understand intuitively. We need to make each part of the world real and connected so it doesn't look fake. We also need a game map that depicts the world as it is. The gamepad is very effective for this. Innovations in this game are only possible due to Wii U hardware.

"I think the rental system in ALBW had the effect of changing how the game progresses. However, there were quite a few complaints from players who felt let down that it lacked the classic zelda element of exploring dungeons to get items that gradually let you do more. Empathy and growth are important elements in Zelda games and acquiring new items in order to reach new areas was an element of gameplay related to growth. I realize that in order to satisfy all players, we must not only come up with new ideas, but also include something that allows the player to experience enjoyable elements from older titles in the series in a new way."
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Another quote from Eiji Aonuma taken from EGDE Magazine in taking fan reaction into account while working on development on The Legend of Zelda WiiU: (GoNintendo)

Quote:
"Rather unexpectedly, after I mentioned that no one had explicitly said that it was Link [in the trailer], this speculation spread online and seems to have led to the idea that the main character will be a girl. However, this reaction from the fans is something I would like to take into consideration as we proceed with development – although that doesn’t mean that we are going to change the main character to a girl."
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 AM   #16
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Also mentioned by Aonuma in EDGE is that The Legend of Zelda WiiU will follow a non-linear progression like the NES original, and is possible due to the WiiU hardware. (NintendoLife)

Quote:
In the original Legend of Zelda, there was no clear way to lead the main character to his goal. It was something that we entrusted to the players to find by themselves. As the game later expanded into a franchise, the structure of the game worlds became more and more complex – especially with the introduction of 3D – making it necessary for us to point the player in the right direction. Consequently, progression in the games became more linear.
Quote:
To recreate a similar experience to the original, we have to give the game world a simple structure that players can understand intuitively. In doing so, it’s very important that we make every aspect of the world feel real and physically connected, so that it’s doesn't look fake. We can achieve this thanks to the hardware features of Wii U, but to truly get a deep understanding of the game world, we also need a real map that depicts the world as it is. The GamePad is very effective for displaying this, and thus also [for] providing players with a constant hint on where to head to. I think we can safely say that the innovations in this new game are only possible thanks to the Wii U hardware.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

In an interview with Eiji Aonuma in the latest issue of Famitsu, Aonuma was asked about The Legend of Zelda WiiU. He mention that the graphics have improved a lot more since its E3 2014 debut. The enemy that was shown in the E3 2014 trailer will bring a new type of enemy encounter, as players will have to think of a strategy to escape from it.

He also says that there's a strong possibility that new information will be made available at E3 2015. (Nintendo Everything)
Old 12-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Recently speaking with Eiji Aonuma in a recent Famitsu interview, Aonuma reveals that The Legend of Zelda WiiU's art style is largley influenced by japanese animation. (Crave Online)

Quote:
“Everyone has been imitating this (snaps fingers) (laughs). I was told by many people that it was “beautiful,” Aonuma said. “I thought about various ways to make the graphical style fit the vast new Zelda world; imitating the real world attached an important feeling of realism, and making it look different to the past [Zelda titles], this was done by drawing inspiration from Japanese animations. Now, compared to what we showed you at E3, it has become something even more amazing.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #19
Troggles
Nice shot!

Gameplay video:
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #20
Matthias
is trying to post more...

Ooh, I hadn't heard about Star Fox for Wii U. That'll be fun.

And yeah, that gameplay looks great. I'm glad to see things like smart-routing Epona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasson_ View Post
Plasma cannons are just tops. Stupid demons and their gay-ass hell-magic. lol.
Twitter: payco | Impulse: payco | Steam: Matthias [CoG] | 3DS: 5473-0587-8940
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote