welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

PlayStation 4 Thread

Catch-all/default thread for all discussion related to the release of Sony's PlayStation 4.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Only launch title for me is Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
menage
Praise the sun!

I only got AC4 so far, and the free DriveClub/resogun obviously.

I'm good for a week or 2-4 at least.

edit typo

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
SCREENSHOTS

Last edited by menage; 10-15-2013 at 08:20 AM.
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Plortch
Colonist

My PS4 and copy of Killzone Shadow Fall are paid off and ready to be picked up on 11/15. I'm off on Fridays so I'll pick them up at midnight. I have enough cash in my November gaming budget for one other game so I might pick up Watch Dogs but I haven't decided yet. Looking back over my gaming history I realized this will be my 10th console purchase (not including hand-held systems). This is the first time I ever planned to pick up a system on day one.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

I'm hopeful that Watch Dogs is good, but other than that the free to play games (War Thunder looks surprisingly interesting, like a massive IL*2 Sturmovik) and the free plus games (OMG Resogun!) should tide me over for a bit. I could see getting Need For Speed and maybe AC4 if there are any good Black Friday deals. Maybe Knack if it ends up being more than the PS4's Kameo. Super Motherload looks cool too.

The excitement is starting to set in, this is only the second time I've ever bought a console at launch, with the first being the PS2.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
The excitement is starting to set in, this is only the second time I've ever bought a console at launch, with the first being the PS2.
I always buy at launch, most times I didn't want to wait so I bought the systems when they were first available mostly in Japan. I only missed one launch and that was the PS3 due to the price and it not working with my 1080i HDTV. The PS2 was not as exciting as I bought a launch Japanese system and the game selection left a lot to be desired so when the US system launched 7 months later I was over the launch system excitement.

Its hard to get excited for these current systems as they are launching so close together and I'm getting both. I sometimes feel it would be easier if they were farther apart so I could concentrate on one or the other like last gen.

Last edited by OldJadedGamer; 10-15-2013 at 08:26 AM.
OldJadedGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Gorvi

Yeah, launching side by side can be a bit of a buzzkill, especially if you're getting both.

I was damn excited for my launch PS2, I left the store with four games: SSX (awesome), Timesplitters (awesome), Midnight Club, and Smuggler's Run (very similar early Rockstar games that were more fun for their, at the time, unique open worlds).

Hell, I'd love to see a modern Smuggler's Run......
Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Plortch
Colonist

Quote:
I'm hopeful that Watch Dogs is good, but other than that the free to play games (War Thunder looks surprisingly interesting, like a massive IL*2 Sturmovik) and the free plus games (OMG Resogun!) should tide me over for a bit. I could see getting Need For Speed and maybe AC4 if there are any good Black Friday deals. Maybe Knack if it ends up being more than the PS4's Kameo. Super Motherload looks cool too.

Good call on the Black Friday deals, Gorvi. I completely forgot about that. I wonder if Knack has local co-op? I'll only have one controller at launch but if Knack has local co-op and any decent puzzle elements it could turn out to be a fun game for my wife and I to check out together later on. I think it's so smart of Sony to offer the PS+ version of Driveclub and Resogun to PS+ members. From the get go it feels like I'm being rewarded for my PS+ membership. Other free-to-play games I'll check out will be DC Universe Online and Blacklight: Retribution.

On the PSN downloadable indie front I'm really looking forward to Contrast as well.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Looking back, I should have waited for the US launch of the PS2. The best title at launch for me was Ridge Racer 5. I did get a free memory card in my box though that only Japanese systems got... so there is that I guess.

I got a Japanese PS1 at launch in 1994 and we played the heck out of MotorToon racing. That was some great memories. I'm so addicted to that new console unboxing.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
pomeroy
wtf

I'm getting Assassin's Creed 4.

I really want my system. It's all paid for. It belongs with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
You're crappy pizza.
pomeroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Gorvi

Yeah, Contrast looks really promising. I think Hohokum is out at launch too:

I've also never played Minecraft, so that could be a thing.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
menage
Praise the sun!

I really need to get a grip on my wallet the next few months. I'm really spending too much on shit I don't play and now a new system makes it even harder. Hope there's lot's of demo's.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
SCREENSHOTS
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
violent
Anti-Music God

Decided to cancel both preorders. Going to wait a little bit seeing as the one game on either console doesn't quite justify the cost for me yet.
violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
rein
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent View Post
Decided to cancel both preorders. Going to wait a little bit seeing as the one game on either console doesn't quite justify the cost for me yet.
I've been tempted to do the same since I have a few PS3 and PC games I am looking forward to this holiday season. Thinking about it though... ...NEW CONSOLE!
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
violent
Anti-Music God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
I've been tempted to do the same since I have a few PS3 and PC games I am looking forward to this holiday season. Thinking about it though... ...NEW CONSOLE!
That was the main reason I had both preordered to begin with. I'm a fan of new consoles. But ultimately that pleasure is short-lived. Rather wait until I can utilize it.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Gorvi

For some reason I thought Watch Dogs was coming out first on current gen consoles and PC, but it looks like PS4 will be the first release. That really sucks, I was hoping see reviews before launch, hopefully there will be something leading up to it. If reviews are good enough I could see picking up Watch Dogs on my way home from work on the 15th.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent View Post
These have been the worst launches for games IMO. I'm not buying a game for either and not sure I'm going to be keeping both of them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menage View Post
I really need to get a grip on my wallet the next few months. I'm really spending too much on shit I don't play and now a new system makes it even harder. Hope there's lot's of demo's.
Our credit card has cash back this quarter for online purchases and my wife said "we should get an amazon order together" then I told her that the two new systems are going to be $1,000 on their own and she got a very serious face and said "What??!!?"

Guess I have some splain'ing to do.

Last edited by OldJadedGamer; 10-15-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
violent
Anti-Music God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer View Post
These have been the worst launches for games IMO. I'm not buying a game for either and not sure I'm going to be keeping both of them as well..
No doubt. Killzone and Dead Rising 3. Not enough yet to justify the $400+ each.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Gorvi

Well, there goes Watch_Dogs as an option.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
Shjinta
Old Picky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to Shjinta Send a message via MSN to Shjinta
Quote:
For some reason I thought Watch Dogs was coming out first on current gen consoles and PC, but it looks like PS4 will be the first release. That really sucks, I was hoping see reviews before launch, hopefully there will be something leading up to it. If reviews are good enough I could see picking up Watch Dogs on my way home from work on the 15th.
Not anymore, Watch Dogs delayed till Spring 14' :/
3DS Code: 1693 3003 6089
Shjinta is offline   Reply With Quote