welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 12-27-2016, 12:17 AM   #3361
Sense Field
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philonious View Post
I wasn't just talking about giving up on Japan: Microsoft used to be a more interesting publisher. I suspect that the people who were pushing the Xbox One as a media platform were also responsible for streamlining publishing to focus entirely on action blockbusters. Regardless, their catalog got a little stale once they became the market leader.
What about Scalebound and Sea of thieves? They are pretty interesting. Recore was a swing and a miss unfortunately...But at least it was an attempt at something different.

I do think they are losing the console war because they are too focused on the miscrosoft studios portfolio...But some of the questionable moves they made, letting go of Titanfall and COD DLC exclusives, have proven to be good moves. Both Titanfall and COD are struggling this year in sales.

Last edited by Sense Field; 12-27-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Sense Field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #3362
biosc1
monoputer

Anyone running Plex on their XBox one? My app hasn't been able to connect to my server for weeks now. I've rebooted, etc. All other devices in the house (PS4, Roku, iPad, etc) work just fine.

Edit: Solution is here - https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...lex_hangs_xb1/

You just need to go to your Plex server and remove XBox as a device (I had two instances of it, so I assume it was causing an issue). Then re-link your Xbox and it works.

Last edited by biosc1; 02-05-2017 at 10:53 AM.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #3363
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

You could try streaming through the media player app over DLNA

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #3364
MalReynolds
Demon of the North

Send a message via MSN to MalReynolds Send a message via Yahoo to MalReynolds Send a message via Skype™ to MalReynolds
Scorpio Time

Quote:
The full list of Xbox Scorpio specs can be seen below...

CPU Eight custom x86 cores clocked at 2.3GHz
GPU 40 customised compute units at 1172MHz
Memory 12GB GDDR5
Memory Bandwidth 326GB/s
Hard Drive 1TB 2.5-inch
Optical Drive 4K UHD Blu-ray
MalReynolds#1834

"It's so hard to play Halo 4 and masturbate at the same time."---Squidbot

Currently Playing : Horizon Halo Wars
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #3365
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

More details here http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-tech-revealed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #3366
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Comparison:

Scorpio Comparisons
by fitbabits, on Flickr

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #3367
Philonious
Colonist

The articles I've read seem to support my belief that Scorpio is meant as a replacement for the Xbox One rather than a simple upgrade (like the PS4 Pro). Curious to see how this plays out, but I think that Microsoft needs some enticing exclusives to make this worth our whiles.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #3368
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
The articles I've read seem to support my belief that Scorpio is meant as a replacement for the Xbox One rather than a simple upgrade (like the PS4 Pro). Curious to see how this plays out, but I think that Microsoft needs some enticing exclusives to make this worth our whiles.
I've heard it said that this was a 'high end' version of the Xbox. Not a replacement for the One. Kind of a "if you want bigger and better, here you go, but the same games will still come to the One/One S".

I'll likely get a Scorpio, but I am curious, considering their statements that it's a higher end machine, just how many they will produce.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #3369
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
I've heard it said that this was a 'high end' version of the Xbox. Not a replacement for the One. Kind of a "if you want bigger and better, here you go, but the same games will still come to the One/One S".

I'll likely get a Scorpio, but I am curious, considering their statements that it's a higher end machine, just how many they will produce.
I think it's both. For those of us with gen one Xbox Ones, an upgrade to Scorpio makes sense (depending on price, of course).

For those of us who upgraded to the Xbox One S (iterative), it makes less sense, but still may be worth the purchase (depending on price, of course).

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #3370
Troggles
Nice shot!

Quote:
Microsoft said they came up with the specs they did by taking Xbox One games and seeing what it takes to get them to run at 4k. They wouldn't build a system around upscaling Xbox One games if it was meant as a full replacement.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #3371
Philonious
Colonist

We'll see, but I'm not sure I'm buying the PR. If they came out and said they were replacing the Xbox One, they would have killed the One in its tracks. Right now they're saying no Scorpio exclusives, but that could change if it sells well.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #3372
Sense Field
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troggles View Post
Microsoft said they came up with the specs they did by taking Xbox One games and seeing what it takes to get them to run at 4k. They wouldn't build a system around upscaling Xbox One games if it was meant as a full replacement.
It's not built around upscaling. It's built so that if developers want to port their engine and add 4k assets...They can do so and suddenly have a 4k game with a rather small effort. My TV can upscale any game from any system to 4k...Scorpio is about native 4k not upscaling.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #3373
rein
Colonist

We can all talk about upscaling and native 4K but price is going to determine mainstream success. I'm not sure Microsoft is going for mainstream success with the Scorpio just yet. I think they are still counting on S sales for that.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #3374
Troggles
Nice shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense Field View Post
It's not built around upscaling. It's built so that if developers want to port their engine and add 4k assets...They can do so and suddenly have a 4k game with a rather small effort. My TV can upscale any game from any system to 4k...Scorpio is about native 4k not upscaling.
Yeah, I used upscaling incorrectly. I meant they took a game that currently doesn't do 4k native, made it do that, and tested what kind of equipment they'd need.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #3375
Philonious
Colonist

I do think this a bid to compete directly with the PS4, but a weird one. Microsoft is either betting that people will be drawn to the Scorpio simply because of 'more power' (which I can't see working) or they're trying to get a jump on the next-next-gen (which seems both premature and short-sighted since the Scorpio will inevitably lag compared to Sony's next offering).

Is 4K a huge selling point yet? Are many people actually gaming on 4K TVs?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #3376
Grifter
The Witchiest

Quote:
I do think this a bid to compete directly with the PS4, but a weird one. Microsoft is either betting that people will be drawn to the Scorpio simply because of 'more power' (which I can't see working) or they're trying to get a jump on the next-next-gen (which seems both premature and short-sighted since the Scorpio will inevitably lag compared to Sony's next offering).

Is 4K a huge selling point yet? Are many people actually gaming on 4K TVs?

It's no different than what Sony is doing with the Pro except Microsoft is doing it right and giving people a real boost in power and not just a little nudge. They also planned ahead for people who don't own 4k TVs yet so the Scorpio will be able to super-sample games while still outputting at 1080p. I still think the PS4 Pro was thrown together as a half-assed attempt to cut Microsoft off at the knees before Scorpio launched considering the Scorpio was announced before the Pro and leaked long before that.

If your primary gaming platform is a console you can't do better than Scorpio as far as performance is concerned. We'll have to wait until E3 to see what they have planned for games which, as we all know, is where the real competition is going to be.

All About Martial Arts / Martial Arts Entertainment / World Wide Dojo

Heatware Profile

Last edited by Grifter; 04-07-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #3377
Sense Field
Colonist

I think Microsoft is working toward a future of consoles that are more like PCs. There will always be multiple tiers of Xbox at different price points...They will all run XboxOS. Developers will make a PC game and have presets for each Xbox tier...One game that works across all Xbox tiers and all of the variable PC builds.

Xbox will eventually just be a group of set spec boxes that devs can optimize for.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #3378
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
I think Microsoft is working toward a future of consoles that are more like PCs. There will always be multiple tiers of Xbox at different price points...They will all run XboxOS Windows 10. Developers will make a PC game and have presets for each Xbox tier...One game that works across all Xbox tiers and all of the variable PC builds.

Xbox will eventually just be a group of set spec boxes that devs can optimize for.
A wee alteration.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #3379
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Also one of the main points is that while exclusives are great if you are the goto 3rd party console that also is massively helpful. We had the developer IRC running and folks from acti, ubi, sega, and others were there and there was an indication of at least 3 "exclusives" for the PS4 released recently were a case of the xbox one version being a larger resources requirement to meet expectations than expected situation.
I am sure most can guess at what those games are.

Also the devs we spoke 2. Some have gone to MS directly, others are just hearing it. All say the same thing. They are informed that Xbox one is the low skew, Xbox Scorpio the high and no allowance for a lack of xbox one versions.

That being said as consumers we would WANT that in a couple years as is the normal refresh time for game situations to be unattainable by lower tech.

Quote:
I think Microsoft is working toward a future of consoles that are more like PCs. There will always be multiple tiers of Xbox at different price points...They will all run XboxOS. Developers will make a PC game and have presets for each Xbox tier...One game that works across all Xbox tiers and all of the variable PC builds.

Technically Sony and MS already did this and in the end the PS4 is actually the most PC like as it has a lack of weird esram. And ya what your saying is by far the smartest situation. Especially when you find out that one of the worst consumer and even internal development team complaints are bad ports lol

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #3380
Philonious
Colonist

Polygon has an article up suggesting that this will begin the shift toward everything being developed for Microsoft’s Universal Windows Platform, which would make titles Windows and Xbox cross-compatible. This would be bad for PC gaming, but open the door to a scalable Xbox platform (I think?).

Kotaku quoted an analyst who predicting it will cost Microsoft $650 to build each Scorpio, and thinks they'll sell the box at $700. Though I cannot see that happening, since at that point people would probably just build a decent gaming PC. Then again a lot of Microsoft's missteps for the Xbox One seem to steal from the PS3 playbook, so why not double-down?

A few strong exclusives would help (Fable!), but I'm willing to bet they put everything on yet another Halo title. No seriously, Fable in the mold of Breath of the Wild would be cool.

(Of course I hated on the Switch too, and I bought one on launch day.)