Suave Peanut
don't let's start

Send a message via AIM to Suave Peanut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Has this been confirmed?
It is confirmed.
Quote:
Transferring data from one Wii U to another Wii U is not supported at this time. However, we understand that this is a feature of interest to some consumers so we are taking that into consideration and are looking into this feature.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #42
Wilkz07
blarg?

Used the connect via pin to my router and it worked fine... How do you check the connections listing in the console? My default is connection 5 , after all my trial and errors.

Edit...i see the area to remove others... My default is still connection 5 though.

Last edited by Wilkz07; 11-18-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Wilkz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #43
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Send a message via AIM to Tayaya Send a message via Yahoo to Tayaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
I should have mine tomorrow...and another later this week that I need to get rid of.
Are you looking to turn a profit on it, or are you just trying to get rid of it? I have someone that I know that's looking for one, but they aren't going to want to pay a premium (they could go do that on eBay). PM me if you want to work something out!
Tayaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #44
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetcraft View Post
Bad move, you done goofed. Nintendo is doing a thing for those who purchase the Deluxe, giving them 10% back in Nintendo points for digital purchases from December 2012, to December 2014.

http://ddp.nintendo.com/?om_rid=AAB8...BQqP4QB8vNV8cS
I didn't pick it out - was an unexpected gift this morning. Also, there were no deluxe units anywhere around here today that weren't allocated to pre-orders or snatched up within 2 minutes of the doors opening wherever the person that bought it stopped today. We were lucky to just get a basic!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #45
BLeeP
Damn Good Pie

I'm in on all of this action. Waiting for this MONSTER UPDATE to finish sludging down my tubes.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #46
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I don't know if this is just me, but the TV signal from my Wii U has quite a bit of overscan and from what I can tell, there's no way to adjust the stretch via the Wii U. Has anyone been able to find this in any of the settings?

Edit: The best I could do is find a screen size adjustment (no shift though) in the MiiVerse app, but any changes you make here are app specific, there doesn't seem to be a global screen adjust setting in the OS, yet.

Last edited by digitalErich; 11-18-2012 at 09:19 PM.
digitalErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #47
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
I don't know if this is just me, but the TV signal from my Wii U has quite a bit of overscan and from what I can tell, there's no way to adjust the stretch via the Wii U. Has anyone been able to find this in any of the settings?
I have not noticed this - but I'm running in 1080p on a native 1920x1080 panel that luckily has an option to completely disable the scaler. In this mode, I'm getting the same perfect edge-to-edge coverage I see on my PS3 and 360 for games that allow you to fine-tune the amount of screen-fill the game uses (like most of EA's games lately).
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #48
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I have a true 1080p panel, too and I double checked to make sure I have no overscan set on my TV itself. I have quite a bit of overscan and slight left shift on my Wii U signal. It's not a huge deal and I'll assume they'll add settings at some point.

Looking other places, it seems other people are having this issue too, ranging from old HDTVs to new models.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #49
MagGnome

Quote:

Edit: The best I could do is find a screen size adjustment (no shift though) in the MiiVerse app, but any changes you make here are app specific, there doesn't seem to be a global screen adjust setting in the OS, yet.
Ben Kuchera at the Penny Arcade Report ran into this problem. He had to manually adjust settings on his TV. Hopefully they resolve this issue soon.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #50
digitalErich
Mathematical!

My overscan is big enough that TV settings aren't going to get rid of it. Plus, I have my 360 on the same HDMI port, and that fits just fine, so I'll need to wait for Wii U settings anyway unless I want to shrink down my 360 signal.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #51
MagGnome

Ah, well hopefully they'll have a solution out soon.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #52
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

Yeah, I've got the over scan issue as well. Just thought I had to manually adjust my TV. Didn't think it was an issue with the WiiU
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #53
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:

Are you running in a "Game Mode" on your TV? The game mode on my TV has a fair amount of overscan, so I never use it.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #54
Wilkz07
blarg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave Peanut View Post
I need to start adding friends! My handle is SuavePeanut.
where do you find what your 'handle' is? just got it all updated and haven't had much time to look around.

can you control a satellite box or just the tv? seems kinda useless since the only thing i use my tv remote for is power on, volume and input selection. everything else is done with sat remote.

Netflix is pretty on Wii-U.

Last edited by Wilkz07; 11-18-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Wilkz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #55
Hawkzombie
Undead Avian of Canada

It's your Nintendo Network ID. If you haven't created one, whatever you decide on will be it.
PSN/Steam ID/BNet Tag - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie/HawkZombie#1136

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #56
Cyndair
Warrior of Light

Some quick thoughts before I head to bed after a day of playing with the WiiU...

The touch screen is fine. Hands down the most responsive resistive touch screen I've ever used. Far better than the one on the 3DS. Works fine with your finger or a stylus.

My bedroom is one floor up but situated directly above the WiiU. I'm able to play with the Gamepad in bed. It's awesome.

I played around with the UI and tried out Mario and Sonic Racing while watching the Browns game this afternoon. It was great. I used the Game Pad to change inputs on my TV and input channels on my cable box. I can't wait for the full features of Nintendo TVii.

My wife and I played video games together for the first time in a long time. We played co-op Pikmin on Nintendo Land and had a lot of fun. She was tearing it up as captain Olimar on the gamepad with touch screen controls. She never would have been able to do it with a standard Wii Remote. I got to run around as one of her Pikmin and beat on things. Good stuff.

The menu load times are as bad as people on the internet are saying they are. It's too bad because it's eventually going to make it so that I'm less apt to use the WiiU's features in general. I really hope they can clean it up.

The eShop, surprisingly, has pretty much all of the launch titles plus a few indie games. The interface is kinda meh, but it's functional. I worry that the current design will be a bit difficult to use once more games arrive.

I was not able to get a bus-powered external USB drive to work for extra storage. I'm going to try my self-powered USB drive tomorrow and I'll let you guys know.

Last edited by Cyndair; 11-18-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: grammar!
Cyndair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #57
Cyndair
Warrior of Light

Sorry for the double post, thought of a few more things...

Tried out video chat with a friend. It works pretty well. The quality isn't anywhere near what you'll get with Skype and a decent webcam, but it's functional. My kids were having fun drawing on the faces of my friend's kids.

I had no issues connecting to wifi with a newish Linksys router.

The initial update took about an hour to download and install.

Your Nintendo ID is whatever you want it to be. I chose 'rypete' if you want to add me. Adding friends is as simple as typing in the Nintendo ID of the person you are adding. I was able to add a friend with no issue. I am able to see when he is online and what game is he currently playing at any time using the home menu on the Gamepad.

NSMBU doesn't get good until the third world. Then you'll start to understand why a lot of reviewers were raving about it.

I couldn't find any game demos on the eShop.

The Wii - WiiU transfer was relatively painless. I had the Homebrew channel installed on my old Wii and it gave me no problems.

There is a Wii app on the WiiU menu. Once you go into the Wii app, you are greeted with the old Wii menu from the previous console. The best way I can think to describe it is like remoting into your old Wii. The shop you access from the old Wii menu is the old shop and completely separate from the new eShop.
Cyndair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #58
Urizen
Colonist

Seems like Scribblenauts and Batman are top ranked third party titles. I might get the former with Rayman when the next inevitable sale of the holidays rolls around. Picked up Tank! Tank! Tank!
Urizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #59
drewmg
Colonist

Been playing with the system most of today.

Didn't have too much trouble with the system update. I had to run out for a few hours, so I let it go while I was out, and it was done when I got back.

The only real hiccup I've had is that my Wii U will not connect to Netflix, no matter how hard I try. I'll give it a few days for the launch jitters to subside.

I haven't picked up Mario yet, but I did play a whole bunch of the Zelda minigame in Nintendo Land, which is quite fun.

Also, played some ZombiU multiplayer which I found to be pretty enjoyable.

Nintendo is still light years behind the competition in terms of ease of use, online features, and operating system polish, but this system is light years ahead of where Nintendo has been in the past, and for that I am very, very thankful.

Also, the wireless video streaming tech in the GamePad is absolutely mindblowing. Using the gyro controls to aim in the Zelda mini game, and having it respond immediately, no lag whatsoever, just kills me know that the screen is just a wireless screen, no processing power behind it.

I really can't wait to dig into some actual honest to god video games using the Off TV playing. Hoping desperately for NCAA 14 this summer on Wii U, and would love them to release some of the "besties" of the past gen from 360/PS3 as downloadable titles, like the Assassins Creeds, Mass Effects, and so on.
drewmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #60
drewmg
Colonist

Also, I am currently working on a "Wii to Wii U Transfer" FAQ for NWR. I'll link it when it's up.
drewmg is offline   Reply With Quote