welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > Console Haven

Old 05-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #41
EternalGamer
Colonist

I'm at 55 stars and just starting World 5. I love all the power ups and the constant new gameplay concept introductions. However, Spring Mario kinda sucks in comparison to all the others.
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #42
quidmonkey
Tichu!

So I've been keeping an eye on Galaxy 2's Metacritic score over the past couple of days: crazy.
quidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #43
MachEnergy
Coked-up Werewolf 4 Prez!

I just started last night (when I should have been packing), and completed the first 2 stars. Yoshi was fun, but I miss his butt stomp. Does he have that move in this game? Multi-targeting items to eat is pretty cool. Oh Mario, you never disappoint!

....even Sunshine, my least favorite, had a lot of great things going for it
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #44
Urizen
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidmonkey View Post
So I've been keeping an eye on Galaxy 2's Metacritic score over the past couple of days: crazy.
I really can't see the complaints anyone could have over this game. This is the kind of stuff everyone of a certain age would have loved to play while growing up. It's what explains the difference between reviewers' (in their late 20s to late 30s) scores and users' (presumably with an average age closer to 16) scores.

I am going to need this soundtrack very soon. And it makes yearn even more for the next Zelda game - hoping we'll finally see that series jump to orchestrated music.
Urizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #45
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachEnergy View Post
I just started last night (when I should have been packing), and completed the first 2 stars. Yoshi was fun, but I miss his butt stomp. Does he have that move in this game? Multi-targeting items to eat is pretty cool. Oh Mario, you never disappoint!

....even Sunshine, my least favorite, had a lot of great things going for it
Naa, Yoshi doesn't have a butt-stomp, but he does have color-based power ups that you acquire by eating certain foods. Of course, like all power ups in the Mario Galaxy games, they are timed, since they typically tie into puzzles. It's really kind of a strange shift that the Mario games took once they moved to 3D; less about action, more about puzzles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urizen View Post
I really can't see the complaints anyone could have over this game. This is the kind of stuff everyone of a certain age would have loved to play while growing up. It's what explains the difference between reviewers' (in their late 20s to late 30s) scores and users' (presumably with an average age closer to 16) scores.

I am going to need this soundtrack very soon. And it makes yearn even more for the next Zelda game - hoping we'll finally see that series jump to orchestrated music.
I really didn't understand the complaints about the first game. For me, these games define fun, and are the best in their genre. I mean, I get the teen audience not taking hold of it; they're still at that age where they need mature games for mature people, but outside of that these just seem like near-perfect games.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #46
EternalGamer
Colonist

Well, not all the powerups are timed. Bee Suit, Cloud Mario, Spring Mario, Ghost Mario, etc. aren't timed. I really don't understand making the fire flower timed, though. The yoshi ones make sense because he is literally using them up as the time counts down.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #47
Orca
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urizen View Post

There are a lot of little things that are annoying. Mario's primary attack from the past, the bounce on the head, is pretty finicky on large planets and just ridiculous on small ones. That leaves you relying on the spin a lot, and shaking the Wiimote or Nunchuck isn't very precise - especially when there's four or five enemies to hit in a short span of time.
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #48
Urizen
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca View Post
There are a lot of little things that are annoying. Mario's primary attack from the past, the bounce on the head, is pretty finicky on large planets and just ridiculous on small ones. That leaves you relying on the spin a lot, and shaking the Wiimote or Nunchuck isn't very precise - especially when there's four or five enemies to hit in a short span of time.
I can see how someone could feel that way, but then there's a challenge laid down by The Chimp where you have to rack up 10K points, and do so by jumping from enemy head-top to head-top in a specific amount of time. I think I got that on my third try, and it was really just a result of concentrating. I don't that challenge is necessarily more difficult, frustrating or just plain broken because of how the jump works.

I don't know. I feel so much of the game is intuitive that when you are required to think about the world, it's doesn't become clunky or counterintuitive - it's just part of the puzzle/challenge.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #49
EternalGamer
Colonist

Yeah, I don't find the jumping that bad when you concentrate. They give yo a shadow to aim and it seems as if there might be a little auto assist. I find that spinning in air helps me line up the jump a little better, though. When I miss a bounce off an enemy, I usually feel that it is my fault for over compensating. Just takes practice.

Spring Mario, however, just sucks to control. I can do it but it isn't any fun. Thankfully, that's only be 1 start out of 74 so far that have used it.

Last edited by EternalGamer; 05-26-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #50
Cyndair
Warrior of Light

Super saver shipping on a Mario game... What was I thinking? The game shipped on Monday morning and the tracking site is saying that it won't be here until next Wednesday (a week from today). It's only coming from Kentucky which is 5 hrs from here. What the heck are they doing with it? Walking it here?

I've been playing Galaxy 1 to get my fix in the meantime.
Cyndair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #51
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidmonkey View Post
Well, what in the world is a reviewer going to complain about? It's challenging, engaging, and CONSTANTLY mixes it up so it doesn't get old.

Oh, and EG. I'm coming for you. I finished SMG 1 first and I can do it again
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.
TheFlyingOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #52
Cyndair
Warrior of Light

My copy showed up today. This is one time I was grateful that the USPS has no idea how to track packages.

It's brilliant of course. I'm 11 stars in and loving every second.

I can't wait until they orchestrate Zelda.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #53
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

I love everything about this game except Fluzzard. Fuck your imprecise controls, you damn bird.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #54
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
I love everything about this game except Fluzzard. Fuck your imprecise controls, you damn bird.
Agreed. Thankfully, though it is only a couple of levels and they are short. I have gotten better at it, but it still is not nearly the effortless joy that controlling the rest of the game is. If anything, it just shows how inferior motion contols are to a traditional thimbstick.

However, that said, the aiming and shooting stuff works great.

I'm enjoying the prankster comets a lot more than I thought I would. Some of them are challenging, but in a perfectly tuned way. I never feel like I'm ramming my head against a wall, just always improving and perfecting technique, which is how challenge should be. I even like the monkey challenges. Some of them seem really difficult at first, but within half a dozen tries, I almost always succeed.

Last edited by EternalGamer; 05-27-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #55
Urizen
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
Agreed. Thankfully, though it is only a couple of levels and they are short. I have gotten better at it, but it still is not nearly the effortless joy that controlling the rest of the game is. If anything, it just shows how inferior motion contols are to a traditional thimbstick.
I think Fluzzard is broken. It's not the controls, but how they are implemented. Knock motion controls for their imprecision all you want - but they don't need to be that unresponsive. Look at the Star Ball levels, for instance.

My wife and I are playing through this together. We only get in about 60 to 90 minutes a day, but there's so much cleverness packed into this.

It's very rare that I play a game and not think to myself how I could improve it. Except for very minor instances like the one above, this title is blowing away my highest expectations.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #56
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

I didn't have a problem with Fluzzard. It's much like ray surfing in the first game, but even easier.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #57
JayVe
Kamalot at heart

I didn't have a problem with Fluzzard either. Granted, I've only played one level, but it seemed to be intuitive, natural and responsive to fly.
Steam: Kamalot
JayVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #58
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

The first one wasn't all that bad, but just wait until you get to the next Fluzzard level.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #59
Cyndair
Warrior of Light

I think that the last paragraph from the Eurogamer review sums it all up nicely:

Quote:
A simple extension of the Galaxy concept, Super Mario Galaxy 2 can't possibly have the same impact. But it does have the same spirit, throwing new ideas at you with gleeful and impulsive abandon, leaving you breathless, scrambling happily to keep up. You can't really complain about more of the same, when the same is the one thing it never is.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #60
Urizen
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndair View Post
I think that the last paragraph from the Eurogamer review sums it all up nicely:
I would disagree with Eurogamer, even if I come off as a fanboy for it. I would say SMG2 still manages to have the same impact despite being an extension of an existing concept. That is its strength. No one bemoaned the dearth of content in the original, but this manages to raise so many new bars in so many different ways.

And I will restate, there is deceptively a lot of 2D in this game, but it's done spectacularly well and is seamless.