welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > Console Haven

Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
The hungry luma ones are easy. But there are others that, unless I'm missing something, have no hungry Luma. Like the first hot pepper Yoshi level. I made it to the top of the tower and there is a dude there there that said "From here you can see that every coin matters," but when I tried collecting every coin (which was extremely hard with all the pepper Yoshi sections), nothing happened.
There should be a hungry Luma in that level, because that's specifically what he is a referring to, if I remember right. But yes, there are hidden stars without hungry lumas as well. These are literally hidden, you need to go somewhere you wouldn't think to go or break something you wouldn't think to break to get them.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Finished World 2 last night. Loving this game and can't wait to get home and play some more. Definitely a lot harder this early in the game than the first one.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
MachEnergy
Coked-up Werewolf 4 Prez!

I can't believe I didn't double check that I was getting release date shipping. Amazon says I should get it on the 26th. Ugh. I'm moving at the end of the week, so it looks like I won't be playing this until I set up my gear at the new place. Oh Mario, the waiting just makes you that much more awesome! =9
Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic Machine View Post
There should be a hungry Luma in that level, because that's specifically what he is a referring to, if I remember right. But yes, there are hidden stars without hungry lumas as well. These are literally hidden, you need to go somewhere you wouldn't think to go or break something you wouldn't think to break to get them.
I'll have to replay that level and look for a Luma, then. But I thought I combed it pretty carefully. So are all the hidden stars either from hungry Luma paths or merely hidden? I can deal with that. I just thought someone might be performing some random act like collecting all the coins.
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
I'll have to replay that level and look for a Luma, then. But I thought I combed it pretty carefully. So are all the hidden stars either from hungry Luma paths or merely hidden? I can deal with that. I just thought someone might be performing some random act like collecting all the coins.
The only collect the coins tasks are the 100 purple coins, and I believe those stars are activated by comets (don't ask me how you get the comets to work, because I haven't figured that part out yet; in the first game, they just started showing up eventually).
Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #26
EternalGamer
Colonist

I found that hidden star and a bunch of others.

To answer your earlier question, Heretic, about how many stars per level, you can tell whether by whether or not the galaxy has a crown next to it when you get the last star available. If you don't, there are more that will open up there later. It does seem that most galaxies rarely have more than two or three though, which means there is a a lot of variety. Even the revisting is rarely on the same path and is usually entirely different conceptually. I was actually dreading the "prankster" stars ,but I found they vary a lot in terms of the challenges and many are very fun.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #27
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Yeah, I figured out the crown thing early on. I'm up to 37 star now; the Prankster comets aren't nearly as bad as the ones in SMG, for the most part. Though, Spin-Switch's comet was being a whore...I'm trying to get most stars before progressing forward, though I've left gaps here and there.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #28
EternalGamer
Colonist

I'm the same way. I'm at 36 stars and have finished everything open thus far in World 1 and 2 except one prankster left that I haven't tried yet (just opened). I'm nearly done with World 3 too, but I keep opening stuff in 1 and 2 to go back to.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #29
JayVe
Kamalot at heart

Opened up World 3 last night.

This game is brilliant. I'm not typically a huge Mario fan other than his Kart escapades, but the creativity in these levels is downright brilliant. Everything is tight and buttery smooth and FUN!
Steam: Kamalot
JayVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #30
Urizen
Colonist

There's a lot more 2D platforming (sidescrolling and top-down) in this than I expected. The World 2 castle is a phenomenal level.
Urizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #31
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmakin View Post
I thought this was going to be just a rental. Now i'm going to have to go pick it up.

240 stars? WTMF?!?!
I'm guessing 120 Mario/120 Luigi.
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #32
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelehan View Post
I'm guessing 120 Mario/120 Luigi.
No, after a certain point in the game Luigi just appears to offer swapping out for Mario. You don't get anything special for using him. There are 120 stars, and then there are 120 "green stars" which are stars that are hidden in the levels or particularly difficult to reach. The green star hunt doesn't begin until you have all 120 regular stars.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #33
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
No, after a certain point in the game Luigi just appears to offer swapping out for Mario. You don't get anything special for using him. There are 120 stars, and then there are 120 "green stars" which are stars that are hidden in the levels or particularly difficult to reach. The green star hunt doesn't begin until you have all 120 regular stars.
Oh.

Shit.
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #34
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I really want to grab this game but I'm still knee deep in Red Dead and I haven't even started Alan Wake or Split/Second
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #35
Urizen
Colonist

Quote:
There are 120 stars, and then there are 120 "green stars" which are stars that are hidden in the levels or particularly difficult to reach. The green star hunt doesn't begin until you have all 120 regular stars.
I'm glad Luigi is more than just a palette swap duplicate. He definitely controls slightly differently, but I don't think he has a further jump.

As for this second set of 120 stars, that's news to me. I tried to look this up, and am seeing a lot of conflicting stories. 240 unique stars would be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #36
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
I really want to grab this game but I'm still knee deep in Red Dead and I haven't even started Alan Wake or Split/Second
Then stop buying all your games the day they come out.

Or rent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.
TheFlyingOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #37
quidmonkey
Tichu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urizen View Post
I'm glad Luigi is more than just a palette swap duplicate. He definitely controls slightly differently, but I don't think he has a further jump.
Luigi was faster and could jump further in Galaxy.
quidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #38
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingOrc View Post
Then stop buying all your games the day they come out.

Or rent.
I'm helping the economy recover. At least that's what I tell myself.

If anything though, the smart money is to buy Nintendo 1st party games release day and not play them. If any game isn't going to dip in price, it's a Nintendo Mario game.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #39
Urizen
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidmonkey View Post
Luigi was faster and could jump further in Galaxy.
I don't recall that at all. But did he have his wavedashing skid from Smash?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #40
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Luigi in both Galaxy and Galaxy 2 jumps higher but has less traction when he wants to stop moving.