Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > Console Haven

Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #21
Purple Santa
Al Capone's father

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
While this is speculation, it makes sense that Nintendo would be the one to launch early, this time around. The big questions would be how many of their casual adopters would be ready to buy a new, upgraded Wii by 2010/2011. The trade in deal could help with that...
I think the trade in deal is brilliant if it turns out to be true. One of biggest naysaying for Nintendo was how were they going to get all the new first time console buyers to upgrade? A trade-in like this to begin to teach new dogs/customers newer tricks would go a long way to see how upgrading is just something you do like other hardware you upgrade.

And if this is true and has someone like Kelegacy kicking the tires of a new version of a Wii...damn, Nintendo might own the next generation as well

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #22
Urizen
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondo View Post
They can keep a game secret, or a hardware upgrade. A new platform is different, though - they need to tell third-party developers about it. So the claim that they plan to wait until a month before launch to announce it strikes me as yet another unlikely detail.
Not a month before launch - I'm talking eight months to a year before launch when they want to talk about it. How much did we know about the Wii and remote before Nintendo announced? Did anyone predict the the Balance Board?

When has Nintendo ever been open with third parties?
Urizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #23
Ondo
Backwards Compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urizen View Post
Not a month before launch - I'm talking eight months to a year before launch when they want to talk about it.
Yeah, that's vaguely reasonable. However, if you read the rumor's source at MaxConsole (here) it says "Moreover, Nintendo wants to make a worlwide annoucement, only one month before release date."
Old 11-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #24
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

So it's a stripped down HD machine meant for gaming and watching BR movies? That would be a bold move for Nintendo, since it would put them in direct competition with Sony, and MS. Not that they weren't before, but they couldn't say they weren't after this upgrade.

Also, it makes you wonder how MS would react. Would they adopt Blu-Ray for gaming in the next-gen after this?

Heh, making speculation about speculation is fun.

Edit: Oh, and the trade in deal would be a brilliant move. I just wonder how it would work, and how much of a discount you would get. Would Wal-Mart and other retail stores take part in the trade in?

Double edit: Yeah, it seems plausible because it falls in line with Nintendo's usual console launch schedule of every four years.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619

Last edited by Wolvie; 11-01-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #25
Narradisall
Cookies

Too early.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, until I see some solid idea of what games will be coming out on the next gen I won't be picking my console of choice. I went with the 360 this gen after waiting a bit and seeing what the catalogues were like. I'm more than happy with my choice, Nintendo offered little I was interested in this gen and Sony had a crippled start (but have started to really pull things together).

I buy machines to play games on, so I go where the majority of the gaming is.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

I bought my 360 with one goal in mind; it had a new Halo coming to it. I was a little uncertain at first, but my investment has paid in spades. There are tons of great games for the system.
I'll probably get the new Xbox first next go around too. But this time it will be because of my achievements and friends list on XBL.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #27
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Double edit: Yeah, it seems plausible because it falls in line with Nintendo's usual console launch schedule of every four years.
SNES in 1991, N64 in 1996, GC in 2001, Wii in 2006, [?] in 2011.

If Nintendo was planning on doing this, they'd let developers know right away. There's NO WAY they'd launch this and only give devs a month's notice, unless it merely upscales games to 1080p.
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #28
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelehan View Post
SNES in 1991, N64 in 1996, GC in 2001, Wii in 2006, [?] in 2011.

If Nintendo was planning on doing this, they'd let developers know right away. There's NO WAY they'd launch this and only give devs a month's notice, unless it merely upscales games to 1080p.
Also NES 1985. Seems like five to six years is their consoles life span. Another thing to take into consideration, is why would they rush to get a console to market when they are leading this generation by such a huge margine? I bet they will milk the Wii like Sony did the PS2.

Still, I can see why Nintendo might want to do this, since they like to update their handhelds quite a bit. Didn't they just announce the DSi XL in Japan? I can see them not being afraid to launch another console so soon, especially since this one basically has a strangle hold on this generation. Might as well go first and get that early lead.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #29
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Also NES 1985. Seems like five to six years is their consoles life span. Another thing to take into consideration, is why would they rush to get a console to market when they are leading this generation by such a huge margine? I bet they will milk the Wii like Sony did the PS2.

Still, I can see why Nintendo might want to do this, since they like to update their handhelds quite a bit. Didn't they just announce the DSi XL in Japan? I can see them not being afraid to launch another console so soon, especially since this one basically has a strangle hold on this generation. Might as well go first and get that early lead.
The NES was released in a few markets in 1985, but it went national in 1986, so I think five years is really their MO. It's true that they're doing well this generation, but they were kicking untold ass in the 8-bit years, and they still launched the SNES.

The DS revisions are a little different, because you play the same DS games across all of them. If Nintendo were really releasing a new, HD system, that would require its own software, and developers wouldn't be happy if they were left in the dark.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Well five or six years, either way sounds about right. I bet if this is true we'll see something at next years E3, and then a release around Christmas 2011. I think they don't want to repeat Sony's mistake of waiting too long and putting themselves at an immediate disadvantage.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #31
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Send a message via AIM to Dukefrukem Send a message via Yahoo to Dukefrukem
Finally super smash brothers in 1080p ....

Does anyone remember when the PS3 was announced and how long after the PS2 had been out before they announced it? What I'm getting at is, are we gonna be getting Sony and Microsoft announcements soon too?
PSN: Dukefrukem XBL: Dukefrukem Steam: Dukefrukem Battlenet: Dukefrukem#1729

Currently Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #32
Adam Blue
Bluegamer.net

Send a message via AIM to Adam Blue Send a message via MSN to Adam Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Blue
I see it less as a new console, and more of a revision. The 'cube had one in Japan.

BlueGamer Bluecast Live Saturdays 5pm-7pm cst!
Previous episodes can be found here.
Adam Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #33
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Blue View Post
I see it less as a new console, and more of a revision. The 'cube had one in Japan.
This too would fit into Nintendo's history, primarily with their handhelds though. Sony did something similar to this with the PS2. Remember that hulking beast of a PS2 that had an internal HDD? This could be what Nintendo is planning... but again, it would also fist in with their history of launching a new system every five or six years. It's anybody's guess at this point.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #34
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Queue the "two Wiis duct taped together" comments.
I was actually going to say 3 gamecubes but civil beat me to it, also he said 4.

No, it won't be 250$ with BluRay. 1080p video would require a higher end video processor, which would drive the cost way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #35
Whunpo
no longer a teenager.

Send a message via Skype™ to Whunpo
Really, I doubt that Nintendo would be in any kind of hurry to update their system. I think their biggest advantage this generation is the fact that their hardware means nothing to people, they make a huge profit on every console they sell, and they are still selling like hotcakes. You guys think they'd upgrade earlier? I think they'll upgrade later. They won't even think about upgrading until Sony and MS start competing with them.

That said, Smash Bros on some updated hardware? Oh goodness yes.
Whunpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #36
Savok
Vulcan Rage!

Nintendo could make it out of solid gold and give it a blowjob attachment, devs would still use it as a toilet.

If Nintendo is keeping devs in the dark it's because they know there would be no purpose in giving them light.
Savok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #37
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whunpo View Post
Really, I doubt that Nintendo would be in any kind of hurry to update their system. I think their biggest advantage this generation is the fact that their hardware means nothing to people, they make a huge profit on every console they sell, and they are still selling like hotcakes. You guys think they'd upgrade earlier? I think they'll upgrade later. They won't even think about upgrading until Sony and MS start competing with them.

That said, Smash Bros on some updated hardware? Oh goodness yes.
Two words: Project Natal. It's coming 2010, so MS will be in direct competition with Nintendo after that. I think that might add so credence to this rumor. Perhaps Nintendo said:

"Oh, OK, you want to add motion controls and try to undercut our one selling point? Well guess what? We're making a 1080p central entertainment hub just like you and Sony got. Suck it bitches!"

Last edited by Wolvie; 11-02-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #38
Yeti2005
Colonist

I guess isn't not hard to imagine a Wii with a nice scaler chip and a blu-ray drive. Stand alone blu-ray players are going for $100-$150 so that component will be fairly cheap in a year.
Yeti2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #39
Doctor Setebos
Splendidly superfluous

Send a message via Skype™ to Doctor Setebos
Iwata has now stated that it's likely the next Nintendo console will be HD.

Now Playing: Minecraft | Terraria PC
Doctor Setebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #40
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Setebos View Post
Iwata has now stated that it's likely the next Nintendo console will be HD.
I think Miyamoto said he expected the same, before the Wii was even released. Nintendo always knew this was the last time they'd be able to get away with releasing an SD console.