Nintendo Reporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Avnovice
Final Fantasy XV Thread

*Japanese Website
*North American Website
*Wikipedia Entry

*Nova Crystallis fansite

*Play-Asia (North America ~ $64.90)
*Amazon Japan (North American Import ~ 7,979)
*Amazon

*Japan:
*North America:

Last edited by Evil Avnovice; 02-01-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Evil Avnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Media

*post padding 'cause I want it that way*
Evil Avnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Wraith
Watch out for snakes!

Posted this in the TGS thread, but now there's a dedicated thread. A few screens on Andriasang.

Playing: Civilization V (PC); My Mostly Complete Game Library; Gamertag: EasyToType
Watching: Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead, Portlandia, Colony, House S8
"I would wish you luck, but I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Andriasang managed to catch a glimpse of footage from TGS 2009.

Quote:
Following my first viewing, I tried my best to peak through the curtain closing the theater off from the outside world because I'd seen something during the trailer showcase that I really liked: actual gameplay footage of Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

While we've been seeing realtime footage of Stella and Noctis's first meeting since last year's DK-something-something-90210 event, the new TGS video offered a first look at gameplay -- that is, someone was clearly moving a character around. I'm pretty sure that character was Noctis. A series of clips showed Noctis moving around through the streets of a European-style city, first surrounded by other people, and then alone at night. Next, the footage switched to Noctis moving about a vast field. Here, he was joined by monsters, some massive. I was actually reminded of a scene of Hope running around FFXIII's vast Pulse fields in the TGS FFXIII trailer.

When referring to the Versus XIII TGS showing, I use "footage" instead of "trailer" because what we were shown wasn't actually a trailer. The footage was all off-screen, filmed off presumably development units by the development staff. It was set to the same music from past trailers, but there wasn't any attempt to make a promotional trailer out of the various gameplay clips.

Below the footage, subtitles showed a conversation being had by Tetsuya Nomura and other staff members as they viewed the footage. They seemed to be joking around mostly. For instance, someone asked why there was no one around in the night scene. Nomura's response was that everyone had probably gone home.

Admittedly, I was only able to view the trailer once, so I didn't get to look too closely at the text. There may have been some other gameplay secrets hidden in there (if the usual progression holds, a Famitsu interview will clear up such things in a couple of weeks).

This was definitely an unconventional method of showing off first gameplay footage from a game. But, then again, it's not entirely surprising. The DK-something-something event also offered visitors a glimpse at early prototype clips of Versus in similar fashion, with the developers joking around as the brief footage flowed across the screen.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Four new images (Sept 24, 2009). (IGN)

Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Posted this in the TGS thread, but now there's a dedicated thread. A few screens on Andriasang.
I saw it in your TGS 2009 thread, but I had plans to create a thread for this from last night, as I browsed the Console Forum and noticed no one posted a thread for this then.

I'm at least hoping I can do a better job with this, as compared to my Final Fantasy XIII thread.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Suave Peanut
don't let's start

Send a message via AIM to Suave Peanut
Information! Finally!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

OP has been updated with Play-Asia/Amazon Japan links.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

How much credibility would I lose for posting this?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Shjinta
Old Picky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to Shjinta Send a message via MSN to Shjinta
UGH!!! just give me the damn game already!!!!!!!!!
3DS Code: 1693 3003 6089
Shjinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shjinta View Post
UGH!!! just give me the damn game already!!!!!!!!!
If the game is out in the US before Fall 2011 I'll be shocked.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
danhoo
My brother is Oscar Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avnovice View Post
How much credibility would I lose for posting this?

That is pretty funny. I was certain you just photoshopped that together, and then saw it on the Amazon Japan site.

EDIT: Even stranger, a friend who can read Japanese tells me that the Amazon Japan link claims that this version is the "NA Import" version. Huh?
danhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

A few new details. (Andriasang)

Quote:
The new Versus XIII footage showed the game's main character running around in a town at various points during the day, then out in a field that was populated by large monsters. The footage was filmed with a camera, presumably by the game's staff whose commentary could be seen in text shown below the footage.

According to Nomura, the footage wasn't actually from a development version of the game, but was rather part of a technology test. It's not the case that everything shown during the clip will be used in the actual game. The clip was quickly made in an effort to show that Versus is in development and ease fan anxieties.

Regarding the scene showing the main character walking around town during different times of the day, Nomura said that this was just a test of how far they could differentiate day and night scenes. The NPC characters who populated the town during the daytime were actually borrowed from Final Fantasy XIII.

The map that was used for the following field scene was made in two weeks, said Nomura. It won't be used in that form in the final version of the game. The "behemoth" creature from the clip was without textures, he also said. Regarding the game's fields, Nomura added that Versus will probably have more natural landscapes than Final Fantasy XIII.
Quote:
....According to Nomura, the development team has been working on tests since last year. Since the Spring, they've been gradually increasing staff. With FFXIII's development winding down, staff from that project are coming over to Versus, so he expects development to accelerate from here on out.
And from the original Famitsu interview that they link to:

Google Translation:

Quote:
- Reminiscent of Venice and the streets, I was the first time in the field and roaming monsters!

Tetsuya Nomura: (the Nomura)That screen "under development" instead of "technical verification" to be visual, not just be reflected in all本編no. Versus 』to『 tell that it is a work in progress, you are頂I enchanting look forward to if we are worried, we've rushed.

- Differences were also seen in the streets day and night. The atmosphere was very?

Nomura: No, not yet. That was the writing, or how much can he tell the difference between night and day express, I have some verification is possible and how these representations. Also, walk around 『FFXIII』 from the NPC (non player character) came with the help, and atmosphere of the hustle and bustle of the city as well as experiments.

- NPC within the shadow of a doubt was a sparkling white ... ....

Nomura: In fact, it's not people like that (laughs). I was only peeling texture. Streets and fields, the state can not yet officially published. 『FFXIII』 natural terrain and we will have more fields that show you in this video as it was saying just two weeks and is made of maps, which is not used directly. Behimosu also appeared in the video, I put the texture is still not even state.

- Oh, I was a whitish monsters. I just did not put any textures (laughs). He also seemed slightly odd shape.

Nomura: Whitish part is, it's a weapon I was carrying on his back.

- In the field, had two huge super-legged enemies, enemies like that?

Nomura: 出Seru the enemy or how big is the test that (laughs).

- "How far can challenge" and it is not a step to exploring the breaking point. Does the main character Nokuto wore a new costume, you will also have a chance to change this?

Nomura: However, there is a plateau (Mr. K.. Roen creative director) is the outfit you have designed the official version says.

- Decide that there is. Seemed to have changed from the length and formal dress, or black because it is trend, not at all unusual thing is not the overall image.

Nomura: Mr. Takahara, formal dress is the silhouette that much from the design and form does not change, it might have seemed. The length formal dresses and pants, but when I did not change, you may have a different impression is so tight. This time it was more visible in the painting, texture and design detail of the fabric that I did not know much.

- Even in that state, only the red soles that are commonly found. Nokuto and run through, I see the flickering and red.

Nomura: Roen also what's actually being sold, I thank you that I have a red sole. Takahara's because those shoes were designed originally to Itadakemashita feet together just wonderfully.

- Costume, had a previous left-right asymmetry of the whole story ...?

Nomura: Yes. Nokuto costume is all asymmetrical. In terms of design, I've had some material presented here and for the first set, look at the profile of Nokuto was in it, "asymmetric" is a concept that I came up with.

- Roen and Accessories What will be the brand?

Nomura: Nokuto such as necklaces and earrings are not worn. This is also the plateau's decision set. On the story, the only decoration is put on the right ring.

- Now that we only say, I know you are important.

Nomura: Yes. Incidentally, in relation to the ring, right hand is not wearing anything, the left is wearing half-finger type of motorcycle gloves. Here also, it is asymmetrical.

- For bikes? Nokuto What is going to ride a motorcycle?

Nomura: You might have (laughs).

- What has changed from what was there before the other.

Nomura: Hairstyle has not changed, I cut my hair a bit shorter overall. I think it's nearly decision.

- Development Status invite you.

Nomura: Mashi Tei is working to create the real earnest last year, we are gradually working around this spring to increase the staff. 『FFXIII』 also been working to see payment in advance, so that even the staff came back I was in there, I think it will accelerate the production further.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Shjinta
Old Picky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to Shjinta Send a message via MSN to Shjinta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
If the game is out in the US before Fall 2011 I'll be shocked.
Well that's not going to cheer me up now is it?
3DS Code: 1693 3003 6089
Shjinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #15
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

This is a year old, but this is rumored to be the leaked theme song: (Neyrus 88's blog at Gamekyo)

Old 12-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Andriasang was able to view a new trailer at Jump Festa 2009. They describe what they were able to watch, and speculate on a few things.

Quote:
....The footage began with the words "real or fantasy" set against a black background. The "fantasy" lingers for a few seconds as the scene switches to a bright daytime scene of main character Noctis standing on the side of what looks like a highway, leaning against a gate. As a vehicle approaches from the distance, the Versus logo and various bits of latin text flash on the screen. The vehicle stops, and as Noctis gets in, we see brief flashes to past trailers, including an image of heroine Stella in her formal attire. Noctis crosses his legs (this is important -- see below), and the car speeds off into the distance.

The trailer leaves with the phrases "Work in progress" and "Revelation will come next time."

It's just about a minute in length, but there's a lot to take away from the trailer. The car, for instance, is, I believe, the same car that was shown in the early Versus trailers. The car is also driving down a similar highway as depicted in those trailers. The difference here, in addition to the switch to daytime, is that everything is in realtime -- the car's exterior and interior, the roadside, and of course Noctis himself.

You can tell the footage is realtime because the image quality isn't as clean as CG. Aside from that, though, you might not notice the difference. The modeling detail, animation, and particularly the lighting are all first rate.

Also: Noctis designer threads.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

There's a chance that Final Fantasy Versus XIII won't make it to E3 2010. (Andriasang)

Quote:
....In an interview featured in the latest issue of Famitsu (via a transcript posted at Square Enix fan site FF Reunion), Square Enix super producer Tetsuya Nomura said of Versus, "We were hoping to debut it at E3, but we're not sure now."

The slippage appears to be due to some changes that are being made to the world map system. "For displaying characters on the world map, we were originally planning on using the method used by FF#, with a small Noctus running about on the screen. But that didn't look too great, so we ended up switching to the method used by FF#."
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
BlackPete
Colonist

Quote:
"For displaying characters on the world map, we were originally planning on using the method used by FF#, with a small Noctus running about on the screen. But that didn't look too great, so we ended up switching to the method used by FF#."
Ugh, they should've just left this out. Taken out of context, this sounds just stupid.
BlackPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
Xydarc
Time to rage

What game is FF "pound sign"?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #20
Evil Avnovice
Nintendo Reporter

Small bits supposedly taken from an interview over Twitter. (Andriasang)

Quote:
How far along is Versus?
"Not everything is connected together, so the various areas have different levels of progress. However, you can fly across the world map in an air ship."
Quote:
I'd like to know the state of Versus 13, Agito, 3rd Birthday, etc.
"I'm being stopped by producer Hashimoto."