welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #61
VerseD
Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
As someone for whom Planescape: Torment is in my top 10 RPGs of all time I don't mind the short voice clips followed up by longer text dialog, and text descriptions in place of fully animated scenes. It definitely allows for a broader and deeper story that can do things that would be out of budget even with AAA funding.

I never really noticed the gaps in voice acting, which matched Infinity Engine games. I did notice all the lines added or modified according to the PC's class, background, disposition and reputation, and I'm not sure how feasible that is with everything voiced.

Luckily, and from what I remember, the feedback given to Obsidian had more to do with inconsistency -- some minor scenes were fully voiced, some major ones were silent. I guess that was inevitable with the constant shifts in budget and scope. It's always hard to call in actors for rewrites or added lines. The next one will benefit from more organization at the outset, if not a bigger budget.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #62
National Kato
Surfer Rosa

Looks like this is unlocked for backers. I started up a game through Steam.
Origin: NationalKato
Now Playing: Mafia III / Torment / Overwatch / R6: Siege
[twitch.tv]
[smith.ink]
National Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #63
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I still just have the beta as far as I can tell. No updates yet.

Oh well, I'm going to bed. I'll probably check out the full version tomorrow. I'd like to get in 2-3 hours just to check it out before Breath of the Wild lands on Friday.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:43 AM   #64
Vandabo
Guise srsly

I got an email saying it was out, and I'm downloading it now. Apparently if you already have the beta installed it automatically updates to the release version.

Not sure that I'm actually in the mood to play this kind of game at the moment, but I'll boot it up and check it out at least.
A. Yes.
Q. Let the record reflect that I am making little air quotes with my fingers around the word 'confession.'
Judge: So noted.
Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #65
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Anyone else been playing this? I'm about 10 hours in and having been loving it.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #66
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I put in a little over 4 hours and really enjoyed what I played. Unfortunately it came out 3 days before the Switch and Zelda arrived, so it's on the back burner for now. I'm looking forward to picking it up again.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #67
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

I went nano and got the trait that allows me see surface thoughts. Seemingly implemented how far it goes we will see! About an hour and a half in so far. Don't quite know what to make of the whole skill points system that is consumed and regenerated upon rested but the rest of the game is interestingly written. Look forward to playing more but when Neir comes out all bets are off.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #68
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I went nano as well, as has everyone I've talked to about the game. It seems to be the most popular choice.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #69
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I went nano as well, as has everyone I've talked to about the game. It seems to be the most popular choice.
A game that has famed history to have the option to talk an adversary out of existence how could one not!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #70
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I went nano and got the trait that allows me see surface thoughts. Seemingly implemented how far it goes we will see! About an hour and a half in so far. Don't quite know what to make of the whole skill points system that is consumed and regenerated upon rested but the rest of the game is interestingly written. Look forward to playing more but when Neir comes out all bets are off.
The skill point system comes from the PnP rules. On any roll the player makes to attempt something they can choose to put effort into the roll by spending points from the respective pool, making the task effectively easier for them.

From a narrative standpoint this is intended to allow the player more control over their character's successes and failures. Rather than two equivalent skill checks being essentially the same when it comes to likelihood of success, the player can decide that a specific action, say to Persuade a critical story character, is more important to the story they want to play out than Persuading an NPC guard to look the other way while they shoplift.

In the PnP version you don't actually have a health stat. Your pools are your health, and are depleted when you take damage. In those situations spending Effort to dodge also depletes your pools so you would normally only do that if the amount of damage you're trying to avoid is much higher than the cost of Effort. For some reason they apparently decided to just have a regular health stat in the video game.

I went with a Charming Jack and have been doing a good job talking my way past problems. I've only had two crises so far that I solved solely through beating down the opposition.

Last edited by Ink Asylum; 03-08-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Ink Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #71
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I haven't had any battles either, other than the initial one that you cannot (??) avoid.

The system used in the PnP version sounds more interesting than the one Inxile implemented.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #72
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
The system used in the PnP version sounds more interesting than the one Inxile implemented.
It's a little more elegant but not that far removed from what they're doing in the video game. The big difference in combat is that the enemies don't roll to attack. An enemy attack has a difficulty level and player rolls a die to defend against it, with the option to spend skill points as Effort to make it easier to block/dodge.

When playing with pens and paper and dice that doesn't slow down the game because either the DM rolls or the player rolls, but if you tried to do that in a video game then every time the player was attacked they'd get the same Effort bar menu pop-up, which would add a lot of time to combat.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #73
National Kato
Surfer Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
Anyone else been playing this? I'm about 10 hours in and having been loving it.
This will be my Spring Break game in a week, so I'm looking forward to spending some good time reading!
Origin: NationalKato
Now Playing: Mafia III / Torment / Overwatch / R6: Siege
[twitch.tv]
[smith.ink]
National Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #74
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Ah, that makes sense Ink. When you put it that way I'm glad they streamlined things a bit.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #75
Vandabo
Guise srsly

I must be about 8 hours or so in now, still in the starting city and have only done a tiny bit of the main storyline, but about 5-6 sidequests. I'm a swift jack I think... Anyway, I've only had to fight 2-3 times and it is fairly difficult when it happens. I finally got some decent weapons now, and the last fight went much better (also I'm just getting better at combat in general).

The amount of text in this game is amazing. Every character that you interact with has whole paragraphs of descriptions of their appearance and expressions, and the dialogue is extremely rich. It's been so long since I've played a game like this... I just got so used to things happening in cutscenes that I didn't have to actively read in order to understand what was going on. I am enjoying it, but it is kind of exhausting in a way.
A. Yes.
Q. Let the record reflect that I am making little air quotes with my fingers around the word 'confession.'
Judge: So noted.
Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote