welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > Console Haven

Old 03-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #121
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Yeah, can't argue with that. I just have a problem of charging in without thinking. I guess I chose my namesake well.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #122
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

The other tip I'd give, in general, is if you haven't taken out a divine beast yet, start with the Zora one. You can do them in any order, but that one isn't terribly difficult (especially if you've stocked up on arrows), and the Divine Power you get from it is the ability to auto-refill to full health after death once every few minutes. (When you use it, it goes on a cool-down, but it's short, maybe 10 minutes?) (The internet says 30, but it feels faster than that to me. Anyhow.)

Effectively, it means nothing in the game can one-shot you anymore, unless they can do it twice in a row. And that usually gives you time to run away / warp to a shrine. Super helpful.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.

Last edited by Ravenlock; 03-13-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #123
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

I got one beast left to take down. Methinks I may slow down and see more sights, make.some rupees.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #124
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Feel free to spoiler the answer if there is anything, but has anyone gotten any bonus or reward for lighting all of the lanterns in Hateno village with the blue flame? I thought I lit all of them so either there is no reward or I missed one somewhere.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #125
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I'm pretty sure I lit them all, and I didn't get a bonus either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
Personally I've really enjoyed needing to make elixirs to go into very cold or hot areas, but that's only because I knew the game was eventually going to give me gear that would make that unnecessary, which indeed it has done. Extreme regions feel legitimately dangerous, but not perpetually so, which feels right to me.
I like that there are varying degrees of hot and cold, so that some areas are even more dangerous than others. This sort of thing would have made Skyrim a lot more interesting, IMHO.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #126
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Kinda like the Frostfall mod in Skyrim. Adds some tension. Once you get the gang if hunting certain ingredients, it's not as bad as I made it out to be. Color me impatient.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #127
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Sadly I've been having those moments too. I mean, I love this game. It stands right up there with Skyrim at times. And a lot of things it does better than Skyrim.
But sadly you're right, the grindy part of this game just rubs me the wrong way as well. For example, the very hot and very cold areas. To counter the high heat and terrific cold, you gotta either buy or make elixirs. Once you get an elixir you can reveal the recipe for it. But the ingredients are sometimes hard to come by. Yes you can use your Shiekah Slate sensor to scan for them... but that still doesn't speed things up much. So you gotta farm. Which is just boring AF IMO.
TBH it just feels... like padding. Like an extra obstacle to slow your progress. To create a false sense of game length.

Also, the go anywhere find your own adventure stuff is great. But I can see it irritating some. I love vast open worlds to explore, so it's not that bad IMO. But I have had to go consult Google for directions at times. Which could be taken for bad game design...

Don't get me wrong, this game deserves praise and high review scores. But the perfect 10's it's gotten... I'm not so sure it deserves that. I'd give this a 9 at most just from difficulty spikes, lack of direction and farming grinding boredom.
You can find elemental resistance gear for all of that. I recommend it as an early goal.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #128
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetcraft View Post
You can find elemental resistance gear for all of that. I recommend it as an early goal.
Just bought my fireproof gear. This game has an answer for all my complaints. I can't stay mad.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #129
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Just bought my fireproof gear. This game has an answer for all my complaints. I can't stay mad.
Also...

All set gear, when upgrade to * *, will grant a second bonus. Some of them can be quite good.

Let's just say that the Test of Strength challenges are no longer a problem to me... at all.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #130
Ravenlock

Took down the bird divine beast tonight. That fight was actually considerably easier than the water elephant, but it's also true that I've upgraded all my gear considerably since then and gotten at least a few more hearts.

Now that I'm at 9 hearts, it's tempting to just dedicate myself to shrines until I can get the Master Sword. Hm.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #131
Ravenlock

One of the things I read in the lots of writing that's been done about BotW this week was that somebody went and interviewed the dev team about the demo they'd been given that included a shrine where you have to tilt the controller to move a ball through a maze, and the writer just cheated by tilting the maze until they could jump into it and force-solve the puzzle. They asked if the devs knew about that possibility, and they said yes, they also had done that, and they realized that feeling like you 'broke' the system to win was fun enough that they decided to leave those things in.

I love that, and I love how that philosophy permeates the whole game. If it's physically possible to get there you can go. If you can upgrade or elixir your way past end-game stuff, go for it. People are already speedrunning the game in under an hour. They know how good the game they made is, and they're confident enough to not force you to experience anything. They trust you'll want to. That's a Nintendo we haven't seen in a long time.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #132
Philonious
Colonist

I put in a few hours this evening, and so far it feels a little clunky and the camera can be unforgiving at time... Overall, it could benefit from a few quality of life improvements. I'm going to stick with it, and I'm sure it'll improve as I get a feel for it, but I'm not regretting my decision to finish Horizon first.

Does the Plateau make for a slow start... Or is it representative of the game as a whole?
Philonious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #133
Ravenlock

I dunno, I happily stayed on the plateau longer than I needed to, so I guess my opinion may not be indicative of much for you. But certainly things get considerably broader and more interesting once you're down in Hyrule proper.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #134
Troggles
Nice shot!

Quote:
Took down the bird divine beast tonight. That fight was actually considerably easier than the water elephant, but it's also true that I've upgraded all my gear considerably since then and gotten at least a few more hearts.

Now that I'm at 9 hearts, it's tempting to just dedicate myself to shrines until I can get the Master Sword. Hm.
I got the Master Sword after 2 taking down only 2 divine beasts. I say that's the perfect time to grab it.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #135
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
One of the things I read in the lots of writing that's been done about BotW this week was that somebody went and interviewed the dev team about the demo they'd been given that included a shrine where you have to tilt the controller to move a ball through a maze, and the writer just cheated by tilting the maze until they could jump into it and force-solve the puzzle. They asked if the devs knew about that possibility, and they said yes, they also had done that, and they realized that feeling like you 'broke' the system to win was fun enough that they decided to leave those things in.
I flipped the maze over and rolled the ball across the smooth side. Much easier.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #136
digitalErich
Mathematical!

So I was hiding from some moblins, I know I had just broken their site because the red drained from the '?'

But then the wind picked up and they started sniffing the air, aggro'd and went right for me.

Has anyone else seen this, does this game model enemies sniffing you out?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #137
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Aaaand, this game is done! Spent my vacation days powering through this.

Short and sweet review: it's the GOTY. Buy it if you haven't already. It has some annoying flaws. Chiefly the one hit deaths. I can take getting swatted down by a boss. But by a blue Bokoblin with a spiked club? Sorry Nintendo, that's just bad game design.