welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > All Things Sports

Old 03-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #1921
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

You are kidding yourself if you think the WME sale is the reason for this. The UFC has been transitioning into sports entertainment for years now.

I'm fine with it as long as we see exciting matchups. I loved the Nate/Conor 2, I thought Bisping/Hendo was a great story even if Hendo didn't deserve a shot, and I 100% love Bisping vs GSP.

If the fighters don't let getting passed up despite being a killer in the division, maybe it's time to start learning to make yourself get noticed. It's not like this is anything new, it's just being pushed more.

I thought this weekends card was good. Nice to see Shogun winning again, even if he is much slower and can't seem to bounce like he used to thanks to all the knee injuries. Barboza gave us another highlight reel KO, and Gastelum is proving that he is going to be a threat to anyone at 185 and even 170 if he can get back there. I think that guy is championship material within a couple years. His one-two is fantastic and he seems to pop everyone with it until they don't know what to do but fall.

Belfort needs to go, and it sounds like he knows it. Saying that next fight will be his last, and he wants to start a "legends" league with older fighters, 3 minute rounds and longer rest times between rounds. I'd personally watch the shit out of that.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #1922
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackman3000 View Post
You are kidding yourself if you think the WME sale is the reason for this. The UFC has been transitioning into sports entertainment for years now.

I'm fine with it as long as we see exciting matchups. I loved the Nate/Conor 2, I thought Bisping/Hendo was a great story even if Hendo didn't deserve a shot, and I 100% love Bisping vs GSP.

If the fighters don't let getting passed up despite being a killer in the division, maybe it's time to start learning to make yourself get noticed. It's not like this is anything new, it's just being pushed more.

I thought this weekends card was good. Nice to see Shogun winning again, even if he is much slower and can't seem to bounce like he used to thanks to all the knee injuries. Barboza gave us another highlight reel KO, and Gastelum is proving that he is going to be a threat to anyone at 185 and even 170 if he can get back there. I think that guy is championship material within a couple years. His one-two is fantastic and he seems to pop everyone with it until they don't know what to do but fall.

Belfort needs to go, and it sounds like he knows it. Saying that next fight will be his last, and he wants to start a "legends" league with older fighters, 3 minute rounds and longer rest times between rounds. I'd personally watch the shit out of that.
Oh, I agree that these problems began before WME. But in their quest to get a return on their investment, they're gonna accelerate their transition to "sports entertainment" to get more eyeballs on their product. There's nothing wrong with a little entertainment, but good fighters are getting passed up for fighters who are marketable. That's already backfired on them a couple of times so far (Rousey, Sage, PVZ).

Chael Sonnen mentioned in his podcast a couple of years ago that UFC fighters would do well to study old wrestling promos; Ric Flair, Jake Roberts, or Steve Austin are guys I would wanna study tape on. Without Joe Silva booking with an iron fist, a title shot is no longer guaranteed. Cutting a good promo (like Derrick Lewis did a few weeks ago) is now as essential as ever in the UFC.

edit: Since I'm talking about promos, here's my favorite UFC promo so far, coming from Nate Diaz:

bnet: LanceUpprcut#11563
XBox: XBox Shmexbox

Last edited by Lance Uppercut; 03-12-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #1923
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Rumble's last fight and retirement left a sour taste in my mouth. Even worse was the fact that him coaches and team abandoned him as he was announcing his retirement. I get that they were probably pissed that Rumble didn't follow the game plan, but you don't leave the guy hanging when he's pouring his heart out like that.

On the other side of that, that was a damn good heel promo from DC. He's a pro wrestling fan, so I think he understands what he needs to do to sell himself, and he did a fine job of it.

And finally, fuck the NYSAC. Maybe they should reban MMA there until they can get their shit together.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #1924
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Rumble didn't want to be there and was looking for a way out after the first 2 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he put a big bet on DC to make some extra bank while he knew he was exiting from this game. For a guy who has been in the Octagon for that long, he has no fight IQ. If I was Hooft and his corner, I'd have left too. Trainers put a lot of effort and time into fighters and it seems a bit disrespectful to throw months of preparation away because you have no desire to fight.

That said, I'm happy the guy is stepping away on his own terms. Hopefully whatever it is he has planned will last him his lifetime, because the guy could still make some bank in the UFC if he actually wanted to be there.

The Weidman/Mousse situation was terrible, but did it not seem like Weidman was looking for a way out the second that knee hit? He didn't seem to concerned initially, but then threw his hand up on his eye like he was in agony hoping for a 5 minute rest. I hate people playing that hand game, it's basically baiting someone to throw an illegal strike. The new rules just made it worst now IMO. If the ref is out of position this same this is going to happen over and over.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #1925
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

It did kinda seem like Weidman was looking for the DQ. A situation only worsened by the ref's mistake and the doctor's discretion.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #1926
Psykoboy2
Enigma Of The Mystical

Send a message via AIM to Psykoboy2 Send a message via MSN to Psykoboy2 Send a message via Skype™ to Psykoboy2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
It did kinda seem like Weidman was looking for the DQ. A situation only worsened by the ref's mistake and the doctor's discretion.
He was milking that shit straight up to the point he realized they were calling the match in Mousse's favor.
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #1927
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Please give DJ a proper fucking push now, UFC. You've got the P4P #1 on your roster and he's getting more exposure on his Twitch stream than from the company that employs him. Great fight from DJ; didn't make a single mistake, beat the black belt out of Reis, and submitted him promptly.

Rose surprised me tonight with the improvements she's made. I'm still not convinced she has anything for Joanna, though, but she's got enough heart to make it a scrap.

Good thing Jacare got paid before that loss. Bobby Knuckles made him look bad.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #1928
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

DJ is the best, but the problem is he fights people no one knows or cares about. For that reason, the UFC will never be able to market him until there are either viable opponents or he goes up to 135.

Rose surprised me too, I thought experience would edge this one, but her ability to keep distance when necessary was great and her striking was super clean. That kick off the break was slick and her back take was spectacular. Why is that head and arm choke so prevalent in women's mma still? Such a bad move to make in this sport.

Jacare did not look good on his feet and Whitaker exposed that. Impressive ability to stay on his feet too. Looking forward to see him in some more matchuips. Moose anyone?