welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #21
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
I haven't heard of either of these...
They do small print runs (anywhere between 1000 and 5000 copies) of digital only games, working with the developers. LRG does just the games, sometimes with soundtracks sold separately, they just put up PS4 and Vita versions of Runner 2 today.

SEG is newer, and they do the same but with more of a focus on limited editions collections. I ordered their first Vita game they put out, Bloodstained, and they just announced Uncanny Valley this morning. They're only doing about 1500 copies, so they'll be insanely rare.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #22
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
I had an enormous collection from my youth that I got rid of a few years back to move, and I regretted it so much when things didn't work out and I ended up back home. When I started collecting again I realized how much I loved the hunt, retro shops, flea markets, garage sales and even craigslist, but that has become so sketch that I often avoid that route.
If I had the extra cash, I'd love to build up an NES/SNES collection again. It's super convenient to have a RetroPi to play those games, but I'd really like to have an actual game room that's set up with my arcade cabinet and pinball machine alongside a collection of old game systems.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #23
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
They do small print runs (anywhere between 1000 and 5000 copies) of digital only games, working with the developers. LRG does just the games, sometimes with soundtracks sold separately, they just put up PS4 and Vita versions of Runner 2 today.

SEG is newer, and they do the same but with more of a focus on limited editions collections. I ordered their first Vita game they put out, Bloodstained, and they just announced Uncanny Valley this morning. They're only doing about 1500 copies, so they'll be insanely rare.
Ooooh, that is very dangerous indeed. I am looking at their sites now.

There are quite a few indie games I would love to have on disk. I am having to resist just ordering Sublevel Zero outright, and super wounded I missed Lone Survivor.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #24
Gorvi

Quote:
Ooooh, that is very dangerous indeed. I am looking at their sites now.

There are quite a few indie games I would love to have on disk. I am having to resist just ordering Sublevel Zero outright, and super wounded I missed Lone Survivor.
Some of the games that sold out are more obtainable than others. I just grabbed a sealed Vita version of Lone Survivor on eBay for $37 shipped. Not bad considering they're generally $31 from LRG when you factor in shipping. Others are inflated to an insane degree. Breach & Clear is going to be one of the last games in my collection for sure.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #25
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
If I had the extra cash, I'd love to build up an NES/SNES collection again. It's super convenient to have a RetroPi to play those games, but I'd really like to have an actual game room that's set up with my arcade cabinet and pinball machine alongside a collection of old game systems.
One of my dreams is to have a basement dedicated to gaming, rather than a corner of a room.

Many of those old SNES and NES games are super cheap though, unless you get into the rare ones which can be ridiculously expensive. Sometimes though you can get lucky and find one at a garage sale or flea market and the people will basically pay you to take it off their hands. I drive around a lot for work and it takes all of my self control to not pull over at every garage sale.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #26
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

One game I will never own in cart form is Earthbound. $250+ dollars is just nuts. It saddens me to think I owned it, then sold it. I wish I could go back and stop myself from selling it. Probably one of my bigger regrets.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #27
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
One game I will never own in cart form is Earthbound. $250+ dollars is just nuts. It saddens me to think I owned it, then sold it. I wish I could go back and stop myself from selling it. Probably one of my bigger regrets.
Luckily that was one I thought better of getting rid of when I moved. Definitely one of my most prized games, and maybe the most valuable.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #28
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Some of the games that sold out are more obtainable than others. I just grabbed a sealed Vita version of Lone Survivor on eBay for $37 shipped. Not bad considering they're generally $31 from LRG when you factor in shipping. Others are inflated to an insane degree. Breach & Clear is going to be one of the last games in my collection for sure.
Breach and Clear goes for over $200! Daaaaaamn, Gina!

Edit; Looks like that is sealed from sellers on Amazon, you can get it on PS4 from ebay for about $40.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #29
Gorvi

Quote:
Breach and Clear goes for over $200! Daaaaaamn, Gina!

Edit; Looks like that is sealed from sellers on Amazon, you can get it on PS4 from ebay for about $40.
Yeah, for the PS4 version. The Vita version does go for $200, minimum. The Vita has become something of a collector's system, and that has really driven up prices.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #30
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Makes sense. I can see the Vita going down in history with a similar reputation to the Dreamcast; Absolutely brilliant and not appreciated in its time. Doubly so if Sony doesn't do another handheld...
Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #31
Gorvi

Quote:
Makes sense. I can see the Vita going down in history with a similar reputation to the Dreamcast; Absolutely brilliant and not appreciated in its time. Doubly so if Sony doesn't do another handheld...
Oh, it really is. That, and getting a full US collection is actually achievable, which is the crazy path I'm going down. So far there's just under 200 official US physical releases, and while there are still games coming out at a decent clip, that will likely be around 250 when all is said and done. That doesn't count the limited online only releases and English language imports, though, which will probably add another 80 or so releases, if not more.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #32
jpublic
Threadslayer

I only collect SMT/Persona titles as well as From Souls games physically as a rule.

I have all the NA releases of Persona/SMT, as well as an original Japanese Persona 2:IS, SF carts for SMT 1, 2 and if..., and I just ordered the Japanese PSP remake of P2:EP.

I still buy most console games on disc/cart, but I'm slowly moving away from that.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #33
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Luckily that was one I thought better of getting rid of when I moved. Definitely one of my most prized games, and maybe the most valuable.
The only thing worth more than that I've seen is stuff like Zelda NES or N64 mint in box. Can't remember the number, but it was bonkers expensive.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #34
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

I've gotten to the point in my life where I'm just not attached to "stuff". I buy disc based games just for the 20% off at Best Buy, outside that, I'm all digital. I also refuse to get collectors editions of games for the same reason; I have enough crap around my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #35
Gorvi

Quote:
The only thing worth more than that I've seen is stuff like Zelda NES or N64 mint in box. Can't remember the number, but it was bonkers expensive.
Look up Panzer Dragoon Saga sometime.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #36
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Look up Panzer Dragoon Saga sometime.
Mint in box $1,300... yep that's quite expensive. And a reason why people resort to emulation for those games that never got a re-release.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #37
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

Digital collection on console are not collections because there is a very good chance they will be not usable in a decade, even if you have a perfectly working console.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #38
Gorvi

Quote:
Mint in box $1,300... yep that's quite expensive. And a reason why people resort to emulation for those games that never got a re-release.
I'm not sure Saturn emulation even now is very stable. That system has always been tough in that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
Digital collection on console are not collections because there is a very good chance they will be not usable in a decade, even if you have a perfectly working console.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Exactly my point.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #39
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

Send a message via AIM to maharahaj
My brother in law collects games for NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD/32X and a few other older systems. He has drawers and drawers of them, though most S/NES and Genesis games are not in the boxes or with manuals. I should take a picture of them all when I'm at his place for Easter. I think he has like 5 copies of Lunar: Silver Star Story on Sega CD.
maharahaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #40
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
I'm not sure Saturn emulation even now is very stable. That system has always been tough in that way.
Can't win em all I guess. The N64 is another finicky system on emulation. It "works" but can be wonky.

Also, I found some reproduction Earthbound carts after a quick Google search. $25. If I had a fully functioning SNES that would be tempting...