welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Game Collecting

I've always been someone who likes to keep a collection of games, but over the last couple of years, and especially the last few months, I've really gotten into just straight game collecting. Building up a physical library. We've got a decent sized community, am I the only one around here crazy enough to do this? It's getting a bit expensive, and I don't see that changing any time soon, but there's just something about building up that library that's compelling to me. Anyone else?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
LarsenNET
Koi are awesome

Digitally yes physically no. I have a fairly large digital collection but have sold off most of the physical. I just don't want the clutter and have to figure out what I want to do with them later in life, selling would be a time consuming process. I've done similar with movies & music. I have about 1200 movies in VUDU and around 650 itunes, much less physical.
LarsenNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
Chris_D
Colonist

I'm sure some might have cringed if they saw me when I dumped about 100 360/PS3 game cases with manuals inside in the trash last year. Still kept the discs because at least they don't take up a lot of space but I could easily see myself dumping them as well at some point.

Digital is too convenient.
Sony could drop the price of PS+ to $1 a month and he'd still find a way to spin it in a negative light.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Gorvi

I have a good number of digital games as well, but I will always go physical when the option is available, and I've bought again a number of games I've owned digitally in physical form when they become available.

To me digital is a great convenience, but it feels like a short term rental as opposed to ownership. When PSN, XBL, or Steam go down eventually (nothing is permanant), that stuff is gone forever. Sure, there's stuff like patches to worry about, and that is a real concern from a historical perspective, but at least the core games will still be there with a physical version.

Edit: Chris, yeah, that would make me cringe.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

I love collecting and game hunting! I have a decent library with (I think) 14 consoles and over 500 physical games, well over a thousand once you include digital. I was actually thinking of posting a pic of my gaming space as I just reorganized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_D View Post
I'm sure some might have cringed if they saw me when I dumped about 100 360/PS3 game cases with manuals inside in the trash last year. Still kept the discs because at least they don't take up a lot of space but I could easily see myself dumping them as well at some point.

Digital is too convenient.
I would have been so hurt if I saw you dump the cases and manuals.
Young Al Capone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
I have a good number of digital games as well, but I will always go physical when the option is available, and I've bought again a number of games I've owned digitally in physical form when they become available.

To me digital is a great convenience, but it feels like a short term rental as opposed to ownership. When PSN, XBL, or Steam go down eventually (nothing is permanant), that stuff is gone forever. Sure, there's stuff like patches to worry about, and that is a real concern from a historical perspective, but at least the core games will still be there with a physical version.

Agreed on the digital ownership thing, I never worry about Steam though. I will rebuy a game physically if I loved it, but one of the great conveniences of digital is enjoying a game and then moving on to the next thing without having to get rid of the game but just uninstalling it to make room for what is next. Even if I really like a game I try to be very picky about what goes on the shelf, since there is already so much of it.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Chris_D
Colonist

I hear you but there is so much more to a game than just the disc these days. Seems like you are already aware but many (most?) games won't even function without a multiple GB day 1 patch. Plus the amount of online functionality they are bolting onto even single player only games whose servers will certainly be gone long before the online service that would allow you to still download your purchase. Your best bet is likely some multiple TB raid solution and keeping a downloaded/patched version of every digital title you buy. Not sure if that works with modern consoles though, you would undoubtedly need multiple drives that you could rotate through your consoles like you can rotate memory cards through a typical handheld. Does PS4 allow you to backup titles to a PC perhaps?

Also, optical media can fail too. Anyway, sounds like you're buying a lot of stuff both digital and physical so you have redundancy anyway .
Sony could drop the price of PS+ to $1 a month and he'd still find a way to spin it in a negative light.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I sometimes get the collector's urge, particularly for Nintendo systems. However, I try to limit it and be rational, as I already have plenty of unopened games laying around. I limit myself to games I actually want to play at some point, rather than ever trying to have a complete library or whatever.

Thankfully I've mostly broken my habit of buying PC games en masse. I have enough already to last me a lifetime and then some.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
LarsenNET
Koi are awesome

Quote:

Nothing is permanent physically either. The consoles will eventually break especially optical drives. How long will the parts be available? A while but not forever. If you own them digitally you have a chance of getting cross buy on the PS3/4/Vita which you can't get physically. Also, digital purchases have the ability to be forward compatible to newer technology like BC on the XB1. I'm still holding out hope the PS4 will get to play PS3/2/1 eventually.
LarsenNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
Gorvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
Agreed on the digital ownership thing, I never worry about Steam though. I will rebuy a game physically if I loved it, but one of the great conveniences of digital is enjoying a game and then moving on to the next thing without having to get rid of the game but just uninstalling it to make room for what is next. Even if I really like a game I try to be very picky about what goes on the shelf, since there is already so much of it.
Yeah, I've just resigned myself to Steam games being a temporary thing, but since I generally only buy at a deep discount it bothers me less. I could never spend $60 on a digital only game. Hell, I don't think I've ever spent more than $20 on a digital game.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #11
Chris_D
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
I would have been so hurt if I saw you dump the cases and manuals.
Unfortunately it's just too hard to offload a bunch of NA region games from here that wouldn't necessarily fetch more than a few dollars with the cost of shipping and my time and effort.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
Gorvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsenNET View Post
Nothing is permanent physically either. The consoles will eventually break especially optical drives. How long will the parts be available? A while but not forever. If you own them digitally you have a chance of getting cross buy on the PS3/4/Vita which you can't get physically. Also, digital purchases have the ability to be forward compatible to newer technology like BC on the XB1. I'm still holding out hope the PS4 will get to play PS3/2/1 eventually.
Oh, I know. Consoles die, discs rot, and all that. That's where emulation saves the day in a lot of cases. Security on physical games will always be cracked and you can eventually make your own backups. That can be trickier with digital copies.

But that goes more from a collecting conversation to a historical and preservation discussion. There are some people out there doing some really great things in that area too.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

It also helps in a sort of way that the nature of games has changed. I don't worry as much about collecting modern games, between patches and online requirements and all of that sort of thing I just have resigned myself to really focusing my collecting on older games. Mostly pop in the disk/cart and go games.

I have a PS3 collection that totally contradicts that though.

I buy digital games at full price pretty often, and don't really mind. In the past year I can think of two that I wish I could add to my physical collection without having to worry about the future of the game; Doom and Dark Souls 3.

Quote:
Unfortunately it's just too hard to offload a bunch of NA region games from here that wouldn't necessarily fetch more than a few dollars with the cost of shipping and my time and effort.
I totally understand, but the game librarian in me would have just cried.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
Gorvi

I honestly just really like having those shelves of games. There's something about the box art and the manuals. Now modern games rarely have manuals, but still.

There's a good (to me) reason I'll never collect GBA, GB, and any Nintendo console pre-GC: as a collector I need the whole package and tracking down boxed copies with those cardboard boxes gets very, very expensive and frustrating. Out of all of those the GBA is the one that hurts the most, that little thing had such a great library.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #15
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

The appeal for me is largely having the shelves of games and as a conversation/discussion piece. I don't have boxes or manuals for many, maybe even the majority, of the games I own. I try really hard not to buy disk games without cases though. It is actually a pretty cheap hobby, and half the fun is the hunt.

Honestly as far as playing older games I am just as likely to use my RetroPi as anything. In many ways I prefer it because it is convenient and keeps me from putting any further wear and tear on my consoles, but sometimes it is just too fun to plug an old console into a CRT and play it the way it was made.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
Gorvi

I love hooking up old consoles like that. I need to hook the SNES back up, I put it away when I was moving bedrooms around last year and never hooked it back up. It's been a while since I played Mario All Stars.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #17
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

There really is something magic about it. I also love the looks I get when people see I still have a CRT, and the understanding when they see how much better the games look.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #18
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Also, optical media can fail too. Anyway, sounds like you're buying a lot of stuff both digital and physical so you have redundancy anyway .
A pressed disc is likely to last much, much longer than any of us will. The chemical used to burn a disc can degrade over time, but if the pits are physically pressed into the disc (as they are in virtually every retail disc) the only concern is whether or not it gets scratches that are too deep to repair or if the disc itself breaks.

When I was younger I would always sell my old games and consoles to be able to afford new ones. I really wish now that I still had all of my old systems and games. Since I started with an original Home Pong from Sears, I've seen quite a few of them over the years. As of right now I have kept all of my games and systems from the PS2/Xbox era onward. I wouldn't say I'm a collector as I simply buy what I want to play, and since I usually prefer owning my media to renting it, most of it is physical.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #19
Gorvi

Places like Limited Run Games and now Signature Edition Games are killing my wallet.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
When I was younger I would always sell my old games and consoles to be able to afford new ones. I really wish now that I still had all of my old systems and games. Since I started with an original Home Pong from Sears, I've seen quite a few of them over the years. As of right now I have kept all of my games and systems from the PS2/Xbox era onward. I wouldn't say I'm a collector as I simply buy what I want to play, and since I usually prefer owning my media to renting it, most of it is physical.
I had an enormous collection from my youth that I got rid of a few years back to move, and I regretted it so much when things didn't work out and I ended up back home. When I started collecting again I realized how much I loved the hunt, retro shops, flea markets, garage sales and even craigslist, but that has become so sketch that I often avoid that route.

I am kinda the same in that I am have no interest in having games on my shelf that I don't adore, unless they are super rare or super interesting. I still consider myself a collector though, just not a completionist when it comes to my collecting.

Quote:
Places like Limited Run Games and now Signature Edition Games are killing my wallet.
I haven't heard of either of these...