welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 03-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #1
Purple Santa
Al Capone's father

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
WeekEND gaming (3.10.17)- What are YOU playing?

Survived another week in the world of work, go me. At least the stress and craziness seem to be more "normal" if you consider a case manager wanting to punch my lights out. Telling someone they are in an enmeshed relationship with their family/caretaker proved not popular with him. As my supervisor is want to say...I tend not to sugar coat my conversations. At least my work hours were more normal meaning no 15 hr day, the more typical 12 hr days occurred. That meant some gaming with Persona 4G but not much.

The plan for this weekEND is plenty more P4G and taking a box cutter to a mattress that no longer serves a purpose in a bedroom (I don't sleep in the room). Its an odd way to move a mattress but it will allow me to squeeze it down the stairs and out the door. Then it is lifting up the last piece of carpet in the house and moving out whatever else needs to go from the room. I have about another month before I start work outside and around the home, i'm trying to finish off the inside list of my to do list before then.

Survivors of the week...

What are YOU playing?

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
rein
Colonist

I want to play BOTW but will probably end up getting my last trophy in FFXV. For a FF game that I felt was average I have spent a lot of time with it and with weekly times quest I will probably continue to do so.

BOTW has not grabbed me like it has most people. It's a pretty game and has some fantastic climbing mechanics but the whole few dings and your weapon breaks is very off putting for me. Im not far in so maybe it will hook me eventually. If not, that is what GF (not girlfriend ) is for.

Last edited by rein; 03-10-2017 at 07:26 AM.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
Spigot
Turn Me

Thought GF meant girlfriend for a second there, rein...

Well, it was a long week. First week back where I've actually put in 5 days of work, even if Tuesday was mostly me working from home with a sick kid. I'm ready for this weekend.

I just finished up Night In The Woods, so I'll be working on a few other things this weekend/week as I await the launch of Andromeda the week after next.

Torment (PC) - Now that NITW is done, I'm going to get to digging into the lore in this bad boy.

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) - I've got a quest for a Cauldron. I'm scared to check it out, but also fascinated. I'll probably spend most of my gaming time on this game over the weekend.

Ace Attorney: Spirit Of Justice (3DS) - Hoping to finish this second trial up soon. I'm in the tail end of it, at least, but I'm not 100% sure exactly how to win...
Old 03-10-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

I think I am seeing Logan this weekend.

In gaming I am still working my way through Xenoblade Chronicles and still loving it but may take a little break to blast through a few shorter games like Abzu and Never Alone. Also still passively looking for a Switch, and fully plan to pick one up should I run across one.

I also finally replaced my busted headset with a Kingston Hyper X Cloud 2 headset and the difference in sound quality is night and day! These things sound amazing!
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
With XCOM done I'm thinking I'll start to dig more into this shoveling game you guys made me buy.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Which one? Steamworld Dig or Shovel Knight? Either way you are in for a treat!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Shovel Knights. Although, you do remind me that I never finished Steamworld Dig!

Also, my on point pun in my last post was totally unintended!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Stupid Play Asia B1G1 sale making me spend money.....

Anyway, it should be a pretty laid back weekend, so gaming should be good. That will be:

DanganRonpa: Another Episode Ultra Despair Girls I'll hopefully be wrapping this up tonight, and damn, it's been good. A great bridge between the first and second games.

Horizon: Zero Dawn I haven't played much this week, but I should get a decent bit in tonight.

Final Fantasy XIV Weekly stuff.

If I finish DAEUDG I'll probably start up Severed. I've been looking forward to playing that as I've loved everything else Drink Box has done.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
taking a box cutter to a mattress that no longer serves a purpose in a bedroom (I don't sleep in the room). Its an odd way to move a mattress but it will allow me to squeeze it down the stairs and out the door.
How did you get it up the stairs and in the door?!

My brother recently bought a house and on moving day we discovered that a bed and desk they were planning to put in the basement/bottom floor won't fit down the stairs. That's super frustrating.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Shit! I got in to work today to realize I had screwed up. Nothing terribly huge, I won't get fired or even reprimanded but I am going to have an upset client.

Come on weekend, I need you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
Shovel Knights. Although, you do remind me that I never finished Steamworld Dig!

That pun was totally on point!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #11
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:

That pun was great. I love Steamworld Dig! You should at least finish it before the sequel comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
If I finish DAEUDG I'll probably start up Severed. I've been looking forward to playing that as I've loved everything else Drink Box has done.
Severed is great! I've only played around 15 minutes or so just to try it out but it's unique and fun. I'm looking forward to diving into it once some other games are finished.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Alas my week off is coming to an end. It flew by, of course, and it was kind of a mixed bag. On the one hand, it was great to not be at work and I got a few things done that I've been putting off, but on the other hand I didn't get everything done that I wanted to, and I didn't do nearly as much gaming and reading as I thought I would. Friends who worked all week are much farther in Breath of the Wild than I am, for example. *sigh* I should have made better use of my time in general. Still, I did a lot of relaxing, and it wasn't a bad week by any means.

Gaming this weekend:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This will be the main event. I'm hoping to make a lot more progress on the story and complete several more shrines so I can power up Link. I only have 4 hearts so combat against anything other than the most basic enemies is very difficult. This game is incredible, as I've said several times now. Yesterday I saw something that blew my mind. I wish I could share the screenshot here but it would probably be considered a pretty major spoiler. Suffice it to say that this game is full of surprises, and I've still only seen a small portion of the world.

Pushmo - I'm stuck on what is so far the hardest puzzle in the game, with a 5-star difficulty rating. I'm going to attempt it again today, but I spent nearly an hour on it two days ago and could not figure out how it is possible. After that I just have one set of puzzles left and then the game is finished, but it's taking much longer than I thought it would as the difficulty ramps up.

Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together - Chris and I will be playing more of this adorable game together on Sunday. Can't wait!

Shovel Knight - Chris and I started playing the first campaign together on Tuesday (Switch version), and we'll likely continue it this weekend. I think this will be the game that we co-op at his house, with Snipperclips taking that role at my place. We'll probably play some Super Bomberman R as well, which is fun but I'm glad I didn't buy it.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #13
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Breath of the Wild. All day every day.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Pushmo - I'm stuck on what is so far the hardest puzzle in the game, with a 5-star difficulty rating. I'm going to attempt it again today, but I spent nearly an hour on it two days ago and could not figure out how it is possible. After that I just have one set of puzzles left and then the game is finished, but it's taking much longer than I thought it would as the difficulty ramps up.
I got stuck in Pushmo too, quite a long time ago. I tried the puzzle I got stuck on a ton of times and just couldn't figure it out, maybe I will try again this weekend.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #15
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
I got in to work today to realize I had screwed up. Nothing terribly huge, I won't get fired or even reprimanded but I am going to have an upset client.
That sucks. Hope it isn't too painful for you.
Quote:
I love Steamworld Dig! You should at least finish it before the sequel comes out.
I really should finish it. I was enjoying it, and have only heard good things. Can't remember what distracted me away from it at the time.

Edit: By the power of these threads I figured out that it was Rogue Legacy, followed by The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 2 that distracted me from Steamworld Dig.

Last edited by TheKeck; 03-10-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #16
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
Breath of the Wild. All day every day.
See, you're one of the folks I was referring to. You're working this week (I assume??) yet you are way ahead of me in the game.

I suppose it doesn't help that I can't do anything for more than about two hours at a time before feeling the need to do something else instead. So instead of the 12+ hour gaming marathons of my youth, I play 1-2 hours of BOTW and then decide I should do something more "productive".

Quote:
I got stuck in Pushmo too, quite a long time ago. I tried the puzzle I got stuck on a ton of times and just couldn't figure it out, maybe I will try again this weekend.
Some of the late-game puzzles are very tricky. I'd rather not resort to a walkthrough, but I don't want to spend hours on a single puzzle either.

Quote:
I really should finish it. I was enjoying it, and have only heard good things. Can't remember what distracted me away from it at the time.
It's a short game too, so it's easy to finish.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Yeah, Steamworld Dig was short but awesome. I need to get around to the getting Heist at some point.

EDIT: Which I now see is on sale for $6.74. Shit.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #18
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I think you'll love Heist. I need to get back to that one. It's great!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #19
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
That sucks. Hope it isn't too painful for you.
Thanks! The apology is written and sent, didn't think it required a call. We will see what response I get.

Quote:
Some of the late-game puzzles are very tricky. I'd rather not resort to a walkthrough, but I don't want to spend hours on a single puzzle either.
I am very stubborn about puzzle games and walkthroughs. Get stuck in a stupid room on Zelda and can't figure it out for a day, walkthrough. Can't figure out a puzzle in The Talos Principle (installed but not played, as is my standard practice), work on it for weeks until I finally figure it out or burn out.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #20
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
I am very stubborn about puzzle games and walkthroughs. Get stuck in a stupid room on Zelda and can't figure it out for a day, walkthrough. Can't figure out a puzzle in The Talos Principle (installed but not played, as is my standard practice), work on it for weeks until I finally figure it out or burn out.
Sometimes I wish I had this resolve. I am all too quick to jump to the walkthrough if I've been stuck too long on something. Like others have said, though, I just don't feel like I have the time to waste banging my head on something for too long.

I believe an exception to that is Portal games. I don't think I've ever resorted to any hints on any Portal puzzles. And sometimes they can be pretty frustrating. (Especially various expansions and bonus levels I've played over the years.)