Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 02-25-2017, 01:28 AM   #41
Purple Santa
Al Capone's father

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
Glasses instead? I am so grateful for contact lenses. Although, maybe Lasik someday...
I really liked wearing contacts but aging eyes makes them a bit of a pain. Having to deal with reading glasses and other situations was making it not worth it anymore.

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:38 AM   #42
Purple Santa
Al Capone's father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwinny View Post
Sorry about your grandmother!

I read these threads every week but never participate anymore, I've gone full-on lurking. So let's fix that:
Thanks. Nice to see you come out of the shadows too. I am always curious how many regular lurkers we have with these threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharahaj View Post
Something along the lines of this?

Gamestop: "Would you like to buy the strategy guide as well?"
Me: "No"
Gamestop: "Would you like to insure the game for $5 more?"
Gamestop: "Would you like to become a PowerUp Rewards member?"
Gamestop: "You'll save 10% on your first purchase."
Me: "No."
Gamestop: "Would you like to preorder the new AAA game?"
Me: "NO! Just fucking sell me the game I brought to the counter!"
Gamestop: "We have a used copy of this game for virtually no price difference. Would you like that version instead?"
Me: "NO!"
I thought of you when I was talking about the GS in Pa. I didn't know how often you walk in one around you but I thought if you do i'm not sure how you do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
You know, in their defense, they're forced to do this. My wife used to work retail as a manager, and corporate gave them a list of things that have to be offered/pitched at every transaction. EVERY ONE.

As a fairly experienced manager, she was quite good at picking up on cues from the customer and cutting short the pitch when needed, but J.Average.Employee doesn't usually have that skill.

And even if they do, God forbid the GM walks in and hears then going off script.

So if you want to be mad at someone, write a letter to the corporate office. Don't get on the case of the poor shmoe doing their job.

/Preach
I know the workers are expected to do that. I am never rude to the employee. I save my angry venom for the real villains in my life which typically are educrats and care managers who tell me what advocacy is as well as tell me how family therapy is to be really done.

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Old 02-25-2017, 04:32 AM   #43
Spigot
Turn Me

Yeah. The spiel is just something they have to do. That's the other thing about not going to a store regularly. When the staff knew me, they'd either skip the spiel or know my answers so it was fine.

I only ever get annoyed by it if they won't take "No' as an answer and either hold up my sale or get belligerent. Usually it's the managers that tend to lean into the hard sale more than the counter jockeys.

That said, I don't particularly miss doing that dance.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #44
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
I really liked wearing contacts but aging eyes makes them a bit of a pain. Having to deal with reading glasses and other situations was making it not worth it anymore.
Yeah I can see that. It makes me think that if I DO ever get LASIK it should be sooner rather than later so I can enjoy it for sometime before reading glasses kick in. Oh, these frail human bodies of ours.

/hacks up a teaspoon of phlegm from this cold I acquired yesterday
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #45
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Something along the lines of this?

Gamestop: "Would you like to buy the strategy guide as well?"
Gamestop: "Would you like to insure the game for $5 more?"
Gamestop: "Would you like to become a PowerUp Rewards member?"
Gamestop: "You'll save 10% on your first purchase."
Me: "No."
Gamestop: "Would you like to preorder the new AAA game?"
Me: "NO! Just fucking sell me the game I brought to the counter!"
Gamestop: "We have a used copy of this game for virtually no price difference. Would you like that version instead?"
Me: "NO!"
That's the one, and that is just the clerk spiel. The manager will then ask you stupid questions like "do you hate free stuff?"

No dude, I hate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I'd better get to work on my next hex.
For my date? Trust me, the hex would be like throwing a bucket of water into the sea.

Last edited by Young Al Capone; 02-25-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #46
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
That's the one, and that is just the clerk spiel. The manager will then ask you stupid questions like "do you hate free stuff?"

No dude, I hate you.
Oh man, that's just annoying. I'm also completely flummoxed by the Edge cards at EB/GS. I get points, I guess, but they're not really useful for anything and aside from sometimes getting a miniscule discount on preowned games, which I rarely buy these days, I have no idea what I'm supposed to use it for.

And I think the hex was around your playing Subnautica, since you got the copy that Mags wishes he had
Old 02-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #47
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Remember that conversation we had a couple of weeks back about folks misusing our e-mail addresses? Yeah, that same guy signed up for a Gamestop Pro membership and now I get all of his e-mails. Never mind that I had my own (non-paid) Gamestop account. His superseded mine apparently. One more reason to avoid shopping there, not that I did much of that anyway.

Quote:
Met up with four buddies of mine for happy hour and dinner. One of them, whom I've know since first grade, went through Scouts with, lived with for a year after college and I was a groomsman in his wedding, is moving to Missouri this weekend with his wife and stepson because of a job opportunity. Sucks. As we get older, the friends we have slowly move on to other things. After happy hour, we went to an $8 a hour pinball and retro gaming arcade until 10:00pm. A bunch of us said we would do a road trip this summer or fall to visit, but chances are I may never see him again.
It's always a bummer when that happens. I've had several good friends move away over the years, the most recent being a friend who moved to New Jersey for her dream job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation ABXY View Post
Is this the new job, then?
Nope, the old one, ha!
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #48
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

Send a message via AIM to maharahaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
You know, in their defense, they're forced to do this. My wife used to work retail as a manager, and corporate gave them a list of things that have to be offered/pitched at every transaction. EVERY ONE.

As a fairly experienced manager, she was quite good at picking up on cues from the customer and cutting short the pitch when needed, but J.Average.Employee doesn't usually have that skill.

And even if they do, God forbid the GM walks in and hears then going off script.

So if you want to be mad at someone, write a letter to the corporate office. Don't get on the case of the poor shmoe doing their job.

/Preach
Instead of a writing a letter, I stopped giving them my business.
maharahaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #49
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
And I think the hex was around your playing Subnautica, since you got the copy that Mags wishes he had
Ah, that makes sense. I guess it might not be my mobo, and if it isn't I am coming for you and your hexes Mags.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #50
MagGnome
Déjà vu

*chanting intensifies*
Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #51
Stoke
Act. Like. A. Dove.

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
Quote:
Remember that conversation we had a couple of weeks back about folks misusing our e-mail addresses? Yeah, that same guy signed up for a Gamestop Pro membership and now I get all of his e-mails. Never mind that I had my own (non-paid) Gamestop account. His superseded mine apparently. One more reason to avoid shopping there, not that I did much of that anyway.
Maybe you should shop there more often now that you have access to a pro membership.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #52
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Stop reminding me of the shit I dealt with when I worked there.

And yeah, the managers could be the worst about it. Hated my boss, and I think I've told stories about him before.

Tried to "mansplain" to me about selling strategy guides at a midnight opening for whatever Madden game was coming out. Considering we've probably NEVER sold a Madden strategy guide in the previous years.

Oh, and the math involved with getting a subscription lowering the cost of your used purchase? Sounds great, until the average customer gets angry when they don't realize that, yes, they save 10% now, but it adds $15.00 flat to it immediately. And, no, you dense motherfucker, I'm not going to upsale to a 12-year old who will probably pay me with a ziplock bag of change since he's unattended because Mom's next door eating a salad.

..... Be nice to cashiers.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
FFXIV: Assyndra Siafu on Hyperion (US)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #53
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Well I don't have his card or anything. It's really stupid that they allowed him to takeover my e-mail. WTF Gamestop? When I get around to it I'm going to log in and close the account, or at least try to get my e-mail address out of there.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #54
rein
Colonist

Meh. I was a store manager for EB for about 3 years and stuck around a little over 2 after the buyout. TBH, the outrage for the Circle of Life program is kind of funny because Gamestop was tracking those same things way back when

I finally decided to "beat" Final Fantasy XV. At least in the sense of wrapping up the story. I am very very close to the Platinum trophy but I am undecided if I want to go back for it. I think all I need is the stupid summon one. Apparently it did not count the summon I did. I have no idea how to trigger another so I may just let it go and move on.

That is two games I have beat this year so far. TWO!!! It is rare for me to not get bored or distracted and it seems my commitment this year to actually completing games before buying new ones is paying off. I will admit I purchased a couple of iOS, Android and a Steam game during this time but I stayed committed to completing FFXV.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #55
Purple Santa
Al Capone's father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post

No dude, I hate you.

For my date? Trust me, the hex would be like throwing a bucket of water into the sea.
No details on the date(ish)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post

I finally decided to "beat" Final Fantasy XV. At least in the sense of wrapping up the story. I am very very close to the Platinum trophy but I am undecided if I want to go back for it. I think all I need is the stupid summon one. Apparently it did not count the summon I did. I have no idea how to trigger another so I may just let it go and move on.

That is two games I have beat this year so far. TWO!!! It is rare for me to not get bored or distracted and it seems my commitment this year to actually completing games before buying new ones is paying off. I will admit I purchased a couple of iOS, Android and a Steam game during this time but I stayed committed to completing FFXV.
You are two games up on me.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #56
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I need to stop looking at flights. I could go round trip to Tokyo next week for $530.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #57
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Quote:
I need to stop looking at flights. I could go round trip to Tokyo next week for $530.
Go to Osaka instead. It's the Portland of Japan, and I could show you around a bit.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #58
Generation ABXY
Thằn Lằn Ôm Cột

Huzzah! Despite her initial reluctance, I think I have actually convinced my wife to go to a movie, tomorrow, so I think we're going to hit Get Out. Hopefully it's as good as I've been hearing.

And if not, my psychology class is about to start states of consciousness (including hypnosis), so maybe I'll just write it off as research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
Go to Osaka instead. It's the Portland of Japan, and I could show you around a bit.
Sold!

In all seriousness, though, if we actually make it to Vietnam, this year, my wife and I are supposed to pass through Japan. I have never been so excited about a layover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Ale View Post
You really are a living, breathing American Gothic Novel
Generation ABXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #59
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Quote:
Sold!

In all seriousness, though, if we actually make it to Vietnam, this year, my wife and I are supposed to pass through Japan. I have never been so excited about a layover.
It's a pretty cool country, though I likely won't be here when you come through.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:16 AM   #60
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Quote:
Huzzah! Despite her initial reluctance, I think I have actually convinced my wife to go to a movie, tomorrow, so I think we're going to hit Get Out. Hopefully it's as good as I've been hearing.
Just made plans to watch that with my current partner-in-crime.

Both of us had a freakout moment because we thought the movie came out in October when a whole bunch of folk were talking about it. Surprised it's out now.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
FFXIV: Assyndra Siafu on Hyperion (US)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote