destoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
Superman's Dead
And Loving Every Minute

Send a message via AIM to Superman's Dead
Man, FUCK Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm just going to hate everyone, to be safe.
PSN: clarkkentsdead
Superman's Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
Rune_74
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by destoo View Post
Kickstarter is illegal in Canada.
Really? I'm canadian and its fine....ahh you mean if you live in the place called quebec.

Last edited by Rune_74; 05-12-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Rune_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #24
destoo
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune_74 View Post
Really? I'm canadian and its fine....ahh you mean if you live in the place called quebec.
No. Everywhere. Apparently also in the US. This is about to change, but hasn't yet.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_f...l_restrictions
soliciting investments from the general public is most often illegal unless the opportunity has been filed with an appropriate securities regulatory authority, such as the Securities and Exchange Commission in the U.S., the Ontario Securities Commission in Ontario, Canada, the Autorité des marchés financiers in France and Quebec, Canada, or the Financial Services Authority in the U.K. These regulators can have different ways of determining what is and what is not a security but a general rule one can rely on (at least in the U.S.) is the Howey Test.
(...)
According to Section 5 of the Securities Act, it is illegal to sell any security unless such a sale is accompanied or preceded by a prospectus that meets the requirements of the Securities Act.

Furthermore, I'm sure that the SEC (or your local market authority) would think there is something "malsain" about having investors everywhere and no real contract between you and them.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #25
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

You aren't investing with Kickstarter. Kickstarter is not soliciting investments. They are donations. There is no expectation of profit.

I honestly don't understand why this is confusing. I expect the people who don't pay attention to get it wrong, but come on, guys.

EDIT: Since we've got two pretty similar threads going, I'll just c/p the post I made about this over there.

Quote:
Kickstarter is a website to facilitate artistic patronage. A creative person wants to make something, but they don't have any money to make it with. If you like their idea, you give them that money in the hopes that they'll be able to make the thing they want to make. As a reward for your patronage, they give you some reward based on how much you contributed, like a tote bag for donating to NPR.

That's it. That's all it is. You're not ordering a product, or pre-ordering one. You're giving creative people money because you want their creativity to be funded. End of story.

In the case of videogames, it makes sense for one of those reward levels to be the game itself, because digital distribution makes that a "reward" with essentially no extra production cost and you're giving them enough money for them to not need more of your support after the game is done (or they're willing to take the loss). But they certainly don't have to do that. Film projects on Kickstarter, for example, will offer to put you in the film credits, or invite you to the first screening, if you donate enough.

It's a donation system. You donate to the ideas you want to get made, because without your donation they might not get made. Putting any further commercial relationships on top of that misses the point.

That won't stop people from doing it, of course, but they're wrong, and they'll inevitably be disappointed at some point by a project not going the way they expect.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #26
Grifter
The Witchiest

Just wanted to post links to another Skyjacker "demo".

This is the Assembler demo, created to give us an idea of the potential complexity of both the ship customization and destruction model. The demo can be downloaded here or here

If you guys miss the customization of games like Mechwarrior I highly recommend you take a look at this and then, if you haven't already check out the early gameplay demo. (links posted earlier in thread)

All About Martial Arts / Martial Arts Entertainment / World Wide Dojo

Heatware Profile
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #27
Rune_74
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
Just wanted to post links to another Skyjacker "demo".

This is the Assembler demo, created to give us an idea of the potential complexity of both the ship customization and destruction model. The demo can be downloaded here or here

If you guys miss the customization of games like Mechwarrior I highly recommend you take a look at this and then, if you haven't already check out the early gameplay demo. (links posted earlier in thread)
Hey, just wanted to let you know I played the demo and was very impressed. I thought it played very smoothly and the graphics were awesome...(try blowing up a ice chunk...wow.).

I am mseriously thinking about backing it....however, with them being russian I'm a bit nervous. (old school thinking I know.) they are also asking a lot of money...they need some more exposure.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
Grifter
The Witchiest

I completely understand but my need for a good space sim is far too great for me to worry about the impending Russian invasion the success of this game will cause.

Seriously though, the idea of an open world, story driven space sim with complex ship customization, component specific destruction and planet interactivity is just way too awesome for me to not back. If I lose $60 then I'll consider it a live and learn experience but considering the game won't be out for a year give or take if it gets funded so if it falls through by the time I realize it's not going to come out the money will have been out of pocket for so long that the sting will be negligible. Honestly though, if that were to happen I'd be more disappointed over not actually being able to play a space sim with these features than I would be about losing $60.

All About Martial Arts / Martial Arts Entertainment / World Wide Dojo

Heatware Profile

Last edited by Grifter; 05-13-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
destoo
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
You aren't investing with Kickstarter. Kickstarter is not soliciting investments. They are donations. There is no expectation of profit.

I honestly don't understand why this is confusing. I expect the people who don't pay attention to get it wrong, but come on, guys.

EDIT: Since we've got two pretty similar threads going, I'll just c/p the post I made about this over there.
Ok. Didn't know there was a thread about that. I'll jump in. (because we do have laws about organism gathering donations too, ya know? All transfers of money are regulated by the state. (state = government body))
Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #30
crazyD
Nothing to see here

All of my Kickstarters have already hit their funding, but here is what I am excited by:

Double Fine Adventure (of course)
Wasteland 2
The Banner Saga
Shadowrun Returns
Starlight Inception

Gonna have to check out Skyjacker and Xenonauts.
crazyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #31
J Arcane
Gone.

Kickstarter however, was technically on shaky grounds legally, because donations to for-profit enterprises are technically not allowed. I believe the law that allowed it to survive passed recently however, at least in the states, but it's possible they may still be on questionable footing in Canada.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #32
Rune_74
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
I completely understand but my need for a good space sim is far too great for me to worry about the impending Russian invasion the success of this game will cause.

Seriously though, the idea of an open world, story driven space sim with complex ship customization, component specific destruction and planet interactivity is just way too awesome for me to not back. If I lose $60 then I'll consider it a live and learn experience but considering the game won't be out for a year give or take if it gets funded so if it falls through by the time I realize it's not going to come out the money will have been out of pocket for so long that the sting will be negligible. Honestly though, if that were to happen I'd be more disappointed over not actually being able to play a space sim with these features than I would be about losing $60.
You know, I will end up backing it....I already backed starlight inception and Kinetic void.

EDIT: hell I did back it

Last edited by Rune_74; 05-13-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #33
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

It's only got 4 days left, but Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road is the first thing I ever put money into on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-2012-2013-csg

She previously made the Gabriel Knight series. This new project is for a game called Moebius, which seems pretty GK-esque. Totally funded, but still a bit of time to pitch in and get the bonuses.
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #34
Samitchdoo
Colonist

Send a message via ICQ to Samitchdoo Send a message via AIM to Samitchdoo Send a message via MSN to Samitchdoo Send a message via Yahoo to Samitchdoo
A new Kickstarter opened up today for a game called Word Realms. It's made by the same company that created Kingdom of Loathing. It looks like Scrabble mixed with a RPG. The small glimpse of gameplay reminds me of Popcap's Bookworm Adventures, but it looks like there is a lot more strategy than just long words = more attack power.

Asymmetric has had Kingdom of Loathing running for nearly a decade and it is an excellent game. I think this one will be just as good if not better.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #35
Slack3r78
Doctor of Journalism

Send a message via AIM to Slack3r78
Chris Jones and Aaron Conner are attempting to revive the Tex Murphy adventure series with Project Fedora. I grew up on these games and I really hope they can pull it off.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #36
Rune_74
Colonist

Another cool space game with a shipyard where you can design your ship is Kinetic Void:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-void?ref=live

As well, for you old school rpgers this one looks very interesting, Malevolence:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e-infinite-rpg

Andof course Xenonauts:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts

As well, I think Skyjackers is going to need a heavy push here, the tech is definately sound on this space game:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitilus/skyjacker
Old 05-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #37
Lekon
Indie Prophet

The Doom That Came to Atlantic City

Monopoly like Cthulhu themed boardgame. Could be pretty damn neat.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
MosBen
Colonist

Holy crap. Last week was Carmageddon, and now a new Tex Murphy game? Ugh, I hate/love this...Well, I'm in.
MosBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
roboninja
Without Fear

How the FUCK did I not know about this Carmageddon project sooner? Pledged immediately.
roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #40
MosBen
Colonist

Yeah, one of the reasons I think this thread is such a good idea is that when there's not a phenomenon like the Double Fine Adventure happening news about interesting Kickstarter campaigns doesn't really filter through to me. I adore the Tex Murphy series, but I wouldn't have known about it if not for this post. Hell, I missed out on the Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter because I didn't know it was happening.
MosBen is offline   Reply With Quote