welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Kickstart My Game

There are a lot of worthy Kickstarter projects out there, and I need you to tell me about them. We're going to do a weekly Kickstarter post, but I need guidance to the best projects to spotlight. Ideally I need a couple of projects still seeking funding I can highlight, and maybe one or two which reached their funding goal in the previous week.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

This is the only game I'm funding which hasn't yet met it's goal: SpaceVenture, from the guys that made the Space Quest series. I'll keep my eye out for others.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
LordDon
Terrible Yet Refined

Edward Gorey visuals meets monsters vs. humans a-la L4D meets turn-based-strategy? Sign me up!
Haunts: The Manse Macabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
You can take my anus when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
LordDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Purple Santa
Al Capone's father

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
I thought you were creating your own game Doc. I was ready with the cash.

Cool idea for a thread though.

Just in case you break out with a game, i'll put the cash aside for you

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Panthera
ANUSTART

It's not a video game, but the Book of Jade is an update of a roleplaying game classic. I've played a lot of games and find the Ironclaw system to be one of the finest produced for an RPG. The recent update to its core book was very much a success, and this will bring the chinese-themed, kung-fu sequel up to date.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
AntonThaGreat
I am the law!

Carmageddon is undergoing Reincarnation in our futuristic present and I predict humanity's short-term future is looking grim and grimmer. Especially with the estimated arrival of the latest itaration of Carma-fucking-geddon that's being developed by Stainless Games, the original creator that survives to this day, still independent, and still kicking!

This is the first game that truly caused me to fall in love with all things gaming and taught me to love gratuitous carnage and death-machine vehicles in my video-games. Played it on the computer my parents purchased in 1996. My very own first computer! It was on.

Although they announced the game nearly a year ago, they obviously need help pushing this game out the door nice and polished. This is going to be my first kick-in on Kickstarter and if you have any love for PC Classics and vehicular combat you should consider doing the same.
Just wondering is all.
I'm a lumber jack and I'm okay.
I sleep all day and work all night.
AntonThaGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
biosc1
monoputer

I spent so much time playing Carmageddon when I was younger...I have high hopes for this game.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

I've flagged a few games that I'm not sure I'll be contributing to, but look interesting.

Drifter: A Space Trading Game

Quote:
Drifter is an open-world sandbox space trading game that takes place in a galaxy with thousands of stars and endless possibilities. Live the simple life of a merchant, become a bounty hunter, take on work for hire, become a fearsome pirate, or simply explore the galaxy around you, the choice is yours.

Panzer Pets - Customizable Robots MMO

Quote:
There are three things each gamer likes, collecting stuff, customizing characters and leveling up! That, in combination with our favorite pets, robots, makes Panzer Pets an incredible game.

This is what Panzer Pets is all about, collect items for your robots, build the strongest party in the game and level up to unlock even more amazing items.

SKYJACKER

Quote:
SKYJACKER is a 1st person free-roaming space combat game with incredibly high dynamics and freedom of the gameplay, which you‘ve never seen in any other space combat game before!

Xenonauts

Quote:
Xenonauts is a spiritual successor to the classic X-Com strategy games. We are aiming to take the original mechanics and update them for the modern age, making them easier to use and more in-depth without changing the fundamentals. All the classic features are present and accounted for – things like turn-based combat, destructible environments, soldier permadeath and large squad sizes (you’ll need them)!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Grifter
The Witchiest

Alpha Demo Links for Skyjacker.
For US located recipients:

http://download.devkapi.com/skyjacker_install.zip

http://thewebworks.org/skyjacker_install.zip

http://www.believe.vg/skyjacker/skyjacker_install.zip

For Western Europe: http://188.40.83.198/skyjacker_install.zip

All About Martial Arts / Martial Arts Entertainment / World Wide Dojo

Heatware Profile
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
Trebor
Colonist

Send a message via MSN to Trebor Send a message via Skype™ to Trebor
Squad Wars looks like it will be a good free-to-play team based space combat game from END Games Entertainment. But this game is still way underfunded, only 248 backers pledging $15,135 with only 7 days to go.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
Grifter
The Witchiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
Squad Wars looks like it will be a good free-to-play team based space combat game from END Games Entertainment. But this game is still way underfunded, only 248 backers pledging $15,135 with only 7 days to go.
I'm backing Squad Wars but honestly, I would rather have a couple solid single player space sims than a space based death match game. I also dislike the fact that the devs don't seem to be very involved in their own Kickstarter.

Heatware Profile
Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

I have noticed a few free-to-play games up on Kickstarter that are having trouble getting funded. I wonder if a lot of people are thinking "I don't have to back it, because I can just play it for free when it comes out." Many people see Kickstarter as a way to pre-order a game, and maybe get it for cheaper than it'll be at release. There's no need to pre-order a F2P game.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Grifter
The Witchiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
I have noticed a few free-to-play games up on Kickstarter that are having trouble getting funded. I wonder if a lot of people are thinking "I don't have to back it, because I can just play it for free when it comes out." Many people see Kickstarter as a way to pre-order a game, and maybe get it for cheaper than it'll be at release. There's no need to pre-order a F2P game.
Very true, and a lot of the reward tiers are almost "pay-to-win" style prizes so I can understand peoples hesitancy in those cases. I think Grinding Gear Games is doing the Free-to-Play crowed funding right for Path of Exile. They had a pretty wide closed beta for quite some time then at the end of that beta they opened up a donation shop for people, who have been playing a while, to help fund the game but in return you get various things including beta keys for friends and the equivalent amount of points to spend in their shop. If you haven't been able to get your hands on a key you can choose the $10 donation level and get yourself a key or just wait a month or so for the open beta and donate then if you like it.

IMO, Kickstarter is a way to preeeeeee-order games. You're giving money directly to a developer to make the specific (or as close to as possible) game you want and in return for your investment and trust the developers are giving you that game at a discounted price with bonuses. Sounds like a win/win too me.

Heatware Profile
Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

More like win/win/occasionally lose. Still a good enough bet for me, and I'm very confident I'll win much more often than I lose.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Lekon
Indie Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
It's not a video game, but the Book of Jade is an update of a roleplaying game classic. I've played a lot of games and find the Ironclaw system to be one of the finest produced for an RPG. The recent update to its core book was very much a success, and this will bring the chinese-themed, kung-fu sequel up to date.
Whoa. I thought sanguine went out of buisness. Nice to know their still kicking around. I still have a copy of Ironclaw and Jadeclaw. Really neat mechanics, and an odd little setting.

Also, I could not love this thread more. Great idea to get everything in one place and do occasional front page posts of stuff. Also, the Malevolence guys have a kickstarter up:over here for Sword of Ahkranox. I did an interview with them on CoG awhile ago, and they were pretty eager and seemed to be on a damn good track to completing the game.

Last edited by Lekon; 05-12-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Lekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
MosBen
Colonist

Holy shit. A new Carmageddon game? Sold! I LOVE that series.
MosBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
MosBen
Colonist

BTW, I love this idea for a regular thread. I missed the Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter because I rely on reading about cool projects on other sites and didn't see a link to it until it was almost done.

On the other hand, I hate this idea for a regular thread, because this thread just cost me almost $100.
MosBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Superman's Dead
And Loving Every Minute

Send a message via AIM to Superman's Dead
Backed Skyjacker, downloading the demo now. I hope the community gets fired up, though, because they have like $170,000 left to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm just going to hate everyone, to be safe.
PSN: clarkkentsdead
Superman's Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Rune_74
Colonist

Great thread...just backed Maleviolence.....looks cool.

So far I have backed:

Shadowrun
Wasteland 2
FTL
Kinetic Void: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/kinetic-void
Xenonaughts
Starlight inception

So yeah, I think it is great Now if someone would do a talisman or runebound game for the ipad

Haven'y backed skyjacker due to the videos issue.
Rune_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Grifter
The Witchiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune_74 View Post
Great thread...just backed Maleviolence.....looks cool.

So far I have backed:

Shadowrun
Wasteland 2
FTL
Kinetic Void: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/kinetic-void
Xenonaughts
Starlight inception

So yeah, I think it is great Now if someone would do a talisman or runebound game for the ipad

Haven'y backed skyjacker due to the videos issue.
If you're talking about the lack of in game cut scenes for lower levels of backing they've changed that. Like most Kickstarter projects the reward tiers are constantly changing. You now get the complete game including cut scenes at $20. At $40 you get the full game plus the first expansion and at $50 you get everything (the cut scenes and both expansions). They have been very active on their Kickstarter page... almost too active. There is also going to be some confusion caused by the language barrier and cultural differences between the Russian devs and American backers.

Try out the demo, if you enjoy it and would like to see the full game sooner rather than later (with more polish than if they continued to fund it themselves) support them, if it doesn't grab you then don't.

I'd really like to see this game succeed but unfortunately I only have 3 friends who play games enough to be interested in Kickstarter and am not really active in many other forums so getting the word out to a good amount of people isn't something that I'd be very efficient at so i'm hoping some people here, with a larger online presence can help spread the word on Skyjacker.

Heatware Profile