welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #101
Philonious
Colonist

I spent a lot of time in the sacred lands of the Nora, did everything I could there, and then made a B Line to Meridian (mostly sticking to the roads) to get the best gear and explored out from there.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #102
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philonious View Post
While I am usually mildly charmed by your struggles, Stormbirds (along with Thunderjaws, Behemoths and *Spoilers*) are endgame enemies... Just stay away until you have better gear (e.g. stuff you buy in Meridian).

Both bird types spam elemental damage, so wear the corresponding armors (with corresponding mods) when you fight them, they also fall out of the sky when they're on fire (mod your bow to do more fire damage), which makes them more manageable (especially after you've done all the cauldrons).
Then why force me to deal with one so early on? Guerilla Games is just mean for doing that.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #103
Philonious
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Then why force me to deal with one so early on? Guerilla Games is just mean for doing that.
Running away is ALWAYS a solid strategy... Also, think about how satisfying it'll be to comeback and murder that thing to death. Or to hack it, and have it murder stuff for you. But if it makes you feel better, that exact bird got me the first time too. I beat my first Thunderjaw though, even if I was by being super cheap about it.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #104
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philonious View Post
Running away is ALWAYS a solid strategy... Also, think about how satisfying it'll be to comeback and murder that thing to death. Or to hack it, and have it murder stuff for you. But if it makes you feel better, that exact bird got me the first time too. I beat my first Thunderjaw though, even if I was by being super cheap about it.
Well, it is nice to know that it's not just me sucking.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #105
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Technically, you didn't need to. That thing, if I'm guessing correctly, is just after Daytower. They told you to stick the road and not stray off it
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 AM   #106
civil_dead
1% Prick.

This game, at night. Man, walking through the forest at night is exactly what I'd always hoped a LotR game would be like. The sense of tension, the sounds, the sights.

It's fantastic--for the first time I can recall, I get excited when the sun goes down in a game.

Sent from a phone so please forgive any errors and factual misrepresentations.

- Zeal
civil_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #107
jpublic
Threadslayer

I wandered up to the way North in search of a Vantage point. After conquering various enemies, including a Stormwind, I get the point and then continue exploring, when I come to a dead end.

Apparently that was a late game plot area? Whoops.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #108
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Motherfucking Glinthawks. I hates them!!! I especially hate the ones in the boss fight - I had to quit calmly before I rage-quit.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #109
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits View Post
Motherfucking Glinthawks. I hates them!!! I especially hate the ones in the boss fight - I had to quit calmly before I rage-quit.
I'm with you, but if you can blow up their freeze sack under their beak it will usually cause them to drop to the ground where you can perform a critical strike. I've gotten to the point where they're not a huge deal for me, but they can still be a total pain in a group when you're busy fighting tougher machines.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #110
jpublic
Threadslayer

I just hit them with fire arrows.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #111
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
Technically, you didn't need to. That thing, if I'm guessing correctly, is just after Daytower. They told you to stick the road and not stray off it
I'd usually agree with you since you're given a ton of cover to skulk and skitter around in. But, the game threw that NPC woman with three bandits chasing her right into my hiding spot.
This not only happened once, but TWICE after I died the first time! And if you were gonna suggest try a different spot, I did. I tried to go sneak around the whole mess the second time, but in what had to be a pre-scripted moment, she comes running at me with her unwanted suitors in my new hiding spot! I get attacked and quick killed in the same way in different spots TWICE!

The third time this happened in a row was when I high tailed it and lost most of my health. It's like the game wanted me to fight there. I thought it was just a unavoidable moment in the game.

The fourth time I skulked around the ridge of the area crossing the river and rolling between cover trying to avoid the area where the woman gets attacked completely. One weird thing I noted was that the Stormbird didn't know I was there but the AI was totally pretending to not know. It follows you! Seriously the damn thing hovers near you in that entire area no matter where you go. So one fuck up and it's all "AH HA! I FOUND YOU! YOU'RE DEAD!"

So it's not as easy to just stick to the roads and be fine. I tried that my first time going down the hill on my Strider while riding on the winding road and got lightning shoved up my ass for my trouble, then killed when I hit the ground.

Add in the death from the Glinthawks in the hunting ground and you got a series of events that frustrated me to the point I almost rage quit the game permanently.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #112
Philonious
Colonist

What difficulty are (or did) people playing on? I went with hard, and liked it (mostly) until later in the game where everything got a little too manageable.

Also, no spoilers, but I quite liked the story.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #113
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Normal. It's been a mostly smooth ride. Well except for the beginning because I wasn't expecting stealth gameplay and died a lot figuring out how to hunt.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #114
civil_dead
1% Prick.

I found my biggest beef with the game: endless spawning enemies. I fucking hate that in games, and there is one area that just gave me one hundred billion enemies, ruining my strategy.

- Zeal
Old 03-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #115
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_dead View Post
I found my biggest beef with the game: endless spawning enemies. I fucking hate that in games, and there is one area that just gave me one hundred billion enemies, ruining my strategy.
How else are you supposed to farm them? I'm not a fan of them spawning so many of them right next to a few of the campfires though, that's kind of a pain and seems illogical. Why would you set up a campfire right next to a group of machines that could easily kill you in your sleep? They paid a lot of attention to how the world would actually work, but this part makes no sense. Wouldn't you build a campfire at least out of the sight-line of most enemies?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #116
Philonious
Colonist

It's been almost a week, but I *think* most of my experiences with swarming were either with Hunting Grounds and a couple of the boss battles... In both cases they made sense in the context of the game, and it was done very deliberately to amp up challenge.

If it's an issue in the open world, then maybe you need to take out the Watchers first? I think that they draw surrounding enemies when alerted.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #117
civil_dead
1% Prick.

Oh! Should have clarified. I meant humans. The cultists. They swarm like bees!

- Zeal
Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #118
Philonious
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_dead View Post
Oh! Should have clarified. I meant humans. The cultists. They swarm like bees!
Yeah, I'm not a fan when games randomly throw in something different out of the blue. One mission just requires you to run away, even though I'm pretty sure Aloy could handle it. Otherwise, when in doubt, I just hacked the closest Ravager.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #119
Zagrash
3 ducks in a man suit

Send a message via AIM to Zagrash Send a message via Yahoo to Zagrash
Broke down and bought a PS4 yesterday and spent a couple hours in Horizon, stopped just before the proving. Definitely a very pretty game, though child Aloy is very awkward looking. Really, most all video game kids are awkward looking... I also still want to call her Alloy, which I am constantly reminded is wrong. Looking forward to playing more of this tonight and not at all looking forward to the time that the Silent Strike no longer one-shots stuff.
Zagrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #120
menage
Praise the sun!

My bigest gripe with the game. Grass in front of the camera when fighting air enemies. I get a grassy mountain and fuck me I just couldnt see a damn thing while three of them were attacking.

Says a lot though thats the only thing really. I didnt expect them to really knock it out if the park like this after the last mediocre Killzone

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
SCREENSHOTS

Last edited by menage; 03-22-2017 at 01:46 AM.
menage is offline   Reply With Quote