welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #41
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

The new LLe emulator for N64 is great.

The holy grail of emulation is OG Xbox. There has been very little progress for that system.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #42
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
Some of the games that sold out are more obtainable than others. I just grabbed a sealed Vita version of Lone Survivor on eBay for $37 shipped. Not bad considering they're generally $31 from LRG when you factor in shipping. Others are inflated to an insane degree. Breach & Clear is going to be one of the last games in my collection for sure.
$37 for Lone Survivor? That's a great game but man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
One game I will never own in cart form is Earthbound. $250+ dollars is just nuts. It saddens me to think I owned it, then sold it. I wish I could go back and stop myself from selling it. Probably one of my bigger regrets.
I used to have a decent number of NES, SNES, and N64 games with boxes and manuals all in great condition. I sold the NES stuff for nothing at a garage sale when I was a teenager, and gave the SNES and N64 stuff to my younger sister. She still has them and still plays them. Well she plays the N64 anyway, the SNES is in a box somewhere but she won't give it back. The games and boxes are all beat to hell though.

There's a little used game store near me that I stop in from time to time, but the good stuff is usually picked clean the day it arrives. They do have wall of mint in box classics behind glass though, and the price on some of those is insane. Mario RPG for example is $300, and they have Earthbound for around the same price.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #43
Dav Slinker
stay woke

I've got a bunch of cartridge games back in Canada, myself. Once it gets to disc-era I don't care but 8 and 16 bit consoles? I got those.

For some more expensive titles like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG I got the Japanese cartridges. Considerably cheaper and since I use a Retron 5 I can apply translation patches when I play them.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #44
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I'm thinking about going to Tokyo next winter. I'll have to exercise a lot of willpower there.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #45
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I'm thinking about going to Tokyo next winter. I'll have to exercise a lot of willpower there.
Just stay out of the game shops entirely, man. They are not a place where willpower thrives.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #46
jpublic
Threadslayer

While in a local game store today, I discovered a repro translated copy of Megami Tensei: Old Testament, and picked it up on a whim.

Doesn't work on my Retron, but does on my real SNES, which days to me it's a problem with the Retron emulator. I wonder if one of the recent patches will fix it.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #47
Dav Slinker
stay woke

How much you pay for the repro? Also, when did hi-tech game traders start stocking repros?

Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #48
jpublic
Threadslayer

I paid $40, which seemed okay since it's $32USD from the production company.

They've been carrying them for a while, but they only make occasional orders.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #49
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Ah, that's a fair deal then.

I got a copy of Chrono Trigger in box with manual for the super famicon for about three bucks today.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #50
jpublic
Threadslayer

Nice.

Tooshort
Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 AM   #51
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Quote:
$37 for Lone Survivor? That's a great game but man...
At that point it's far less about the game and much more about the collectability. I already own LS digitally.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #52
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
Just stay out of the game shops entirely, man. They are not a place where willpower thrives.
Well that's no fun.

Gorvi, as long as you are collecting purely for fun and not because you think you will sell your game collection someday and retire. I have acquaintances who spend most of their money on "collectibles" (FuncoPops, amiibo, games, etc.) and think that they are going to be worth a fortune someday. Apparently they haven't heard of Beanie Babies.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #53
Gorvi

Quote:
Gorvi, as long as you are collecting purely for fun and not because you think you will sell your game collection someday and retire. I have acquaintances who spend most of their money on "collectibles" (FuncoPops, amiibo, games, etc.) and think that they are going to be worth a fortune someday. Apparently they haven't heard of Beanie Babies.
Oh, yeah, for me it's all about personal enjoyment. Sure, I could sell them one day, it's always possible, but I'm not buying them for that. I'm not going to lie, when I see that I have a game that's worth a lot of money it does make me smile, but that's more because I have it and won't have to pay that to add it to my collection rather than me thinking I can turn a profit.

I like randomly popping in old discs or cartridges and just taking a nostalgia trip, or looking through old manuals. I wish I had more space, I used to have a massive collection of old game magazines that I'd thumb through from time to time, but they took up too much space and I had to get rid of them.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #54
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I used to have a few boxes of old gaming mags that were fun to flip through, but like you I decided they were taking up too much space so I recycled them.

Thanks to this thread I tidied up my game shelf in my room last night. I have all of my GameCube, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, and Switch games on display along with a few figurines and other knickknacks.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #55
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Well that's no fun.

They don't keep their value for long, they are more like penny stocks. Right now some of the Zelda amiibo are worth quite a bit. I have no intention of selling mine though, I love those stupid little things.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #56
Gorvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
They don't keep their value for long, they are more like penny stocks. Right now some of the Zelda amiibo are worth quite a bit. I have no intention of selling mine though, I love those stupid little things.
RPGs tend to keep their value pretty strongly, as do shmups and quirky Japanese games, most other genres do not. I have more than a few PS1 games that are in the 3 figures in terms of value.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #57
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Oh, I meant the silly little trinkets.

Games are largely the same though, which works fine for me. I don't have to pay much for a huge stack of games when I go out hunting, and I don't really worry about them getting stolen like I might if I was into collecting something more valuable like art or guns.

Some games though are ridiculous. I have some games here that are worth $100+ and some that are worth several hundred.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote