welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 01-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Deus Ex Franchise Goes Back on Shelf...For Now

I hope you enjoyed Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, because it's likely the last big budget installment in the series in the foreseeable future. Eurogamer reports that poor sales of Mankind Divided, combined with developer Eidos Montreal's full plate - they're supporting on the upcoming Avengers game and leading work on the next Tomb Raider - mean the series is likely dead.

Square Enix announced a rebirth of the Deus Ex nearly a decade ago, and the first installment - Human Revolution - was a critical darling. The revival did well enough to warrant a sequel and even a 'Deus Ex Universe' initiative, but the sales never matched the critical acclaim. They could continue the series in alternate channels - the Deus Ex Go mobile game did fairly well - but we've likely seen the last major release for the series in the near term.

Source - Eurogamer
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

This is the big problem with gaming now, and I've been harping on it for a decade. If you aren't an ultra hit - a Call of Duty, and Uncharted, a Pokemon - then you're probably not profitable. The industry contracts creatively - at least in terms of packaged releases - a little bit more every year. And few studios have managed to really crack the code of mid-range releases that could sustain creative variety at retail.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

That's a bummer. I enjoyed the first one. I bought the second but haven't made time for it. I actually wanted to go back and play the first again. I played the original with the original bosses and I heard they had revamped them all for the second release. I didn't mind the fights at all in the first. Didn't even have much of an issue with them.

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
This is the big problem with gaming now, and I've been harping on it for a decade. If you aren't an ultra hit - a Call of Duty, and Uncharted, a Pokemon - then you're probably not profitable. The industry contracts creatively - at least in terms of packaged releases - a little bit more every year. And few studios have managed to really crack the code of mid-range releases that could sustain creative variety at retail.
Yeah, AAA games are just so expensive to make. I'm finally getting around to playing the last AC game and I was marveling at just the sheer amount of detailed art assets I just sprinting past without even noticing 90% of the time.

It's been said by ppl that know what they're talking about, like Carmack, that most of the work in a AAA game these days is asset generation.

I know that asset outsourcing is already a thing as are pre-build asset packs, but I'm curious to see if the industry can solve this issue, either by leveraging those two concepts more heavily or some other creative solution, maybe automated asset generation based on photos or something. I know tech like that already exists, but I'm guessing is still in early stages.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Good night, sweet Jensen.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Philonious
Colonist

But what will I do without the sweet sound of Elias Toufexis!? I really enjoyed the first game, and the second was off to a pretty great start... Sadly Destiny came along and robbed me of a few more months of my life, so I haven't finished it yet. Hopefully the series isn't on hiatus for too long.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
muddi900
Chinese Mummy Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits View Post
Good night, sweet Jensen.
He never asked for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Fubl
Colonist

Well square enix has always had issues knowing what they list as a sales objective. If I remember right the following games were targets to sell at least 1.5 million if not more first week not lifetime:. Tomb raider reboot (came closest to it's target I believe it was 2.5 million copies first week. Was like 2 and some change.). Deus ex,. Sleeping dogs, and hitman absolution.
Goodreads: fubl
origin: lpaluch18t
Twitch.tv/lpaluch18t
Ds freind code: 0447-9659-8498
Switch Freind code sw-1728-4424-3116
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
He never asked for this.
Well played.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I've been saying for years now that the "AAA" side of the gaming industry is in big trouble. Sales are largely stagnant or declining while budgets climb higher and higher. We've seen the results with studio closures and barely any risk taking from the large publishers. I pointed this out again when folks were criticizing the Switch for not being comparable to the PS4 or Xbone specs-wise. I'd rather see Nintendo and other developers focus on strong mid tier games rather than bankrupting themselves in the pursuit of more and more polygons and 4k textures.

I find the most enjoyment with indie and mid tier titles on the PC and 3DS, so that's where my gaming dollars are spent these days.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
He never asked for this.

This is why I keep you alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #12
johnperkins21
Colonist

This is a bummer. Although I'm partially to blame as I still haven't picked up Mankind Divided as I'm waiting on a good sale, plus I have a huge backlog. The first game was very good, and I've heard great things about this one, but Fubl makes a great point about how terrible Squenix is at forecasting sales.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:10 AM   #13
Narradisall
Cookies

I enjoyed the first and picked up MD but haven't played it yet.

Shame as it does sell well but they've evidently moved onto things that will shift serious mega numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 07:04 AM   #14
Philonious
Colonist

The five year gap, delays, and release date probably didn't help. Might have done better had it capitalized more on the (mostly) good word of mouth from the first game and not dropped right before the rush of bigger titles.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #15
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Why is everyone referring to Human Revolution as "the first game"? Isn't it the third? Does it retcon 1 and 2?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:21 AM   #16
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Why is everyone referring to Human Revolution as "the first game"? Isn't it the third? Does it retcon 1 and 2?
I think it's supposed to be a prequel to DE and DE:IW I believe.

I guess we are thinking like the 1st in the revamped series of games. If this goes on the shelf too long... they'll be a new first.

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
I do the same thing with the Tomb Raider reboot. It's not technically correct, but I think most people understand what we mean.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
Philonious
Colonist

Quote:
Because I consider them to be more spin-offs or spiritual successors set in the same universe rather than direct sequels. The 'Jensen Saga' or something?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:19 AM   #19
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Fair enough. I was just really confused at first. I thought some folks were referring to the original, which didn't make sense in the context of their posts.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #20
Fubl
Colonist

So what's the over under on how many copies SE says they need to sale of the avengers game to make it successfully. I'm putting my number at 5 million first week copies
Goodreads: fubl
origin: lpaluch18t
Twitch.tv/lpaluch18t
Ds freind code: 0447-9659-8498
Switch Freind code sw-1728-4424-3116
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote