welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Nintendo Details the Switch

Nintendo finally gave the public some firm info on the Switch. You can watch the full hour 40 minute presentation if you're so inclined, but here are the salient points:

- The Switch launches Friday, March 3 at a price of $299 USD.

- Nintendo is starting the Nintendo Online Service (NOS), their paid online system. We don't yet know how much it will cost when it launches this fall, but it will be required for online play, voice chat and "monthly game downloads". Online play on the Switch will be free until the fall launch of the NOS.

- Classic Nintendo titles will be sold on the NOS, with online multiplayer added for some games.

- The Switch will incorporate a capacitive multitouch display that outputs a 1280x720 image. The Switch plays in 720p in mobile mode, and up to 1080p while docked. It comes with 32GB of internal storage, but can be expanded via a microSD slot.

- The Switch will have only four games at launch: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2-Switch, Skylanders Imaginators and Just Dance 2017.

- Additional games coming by holidays 2017 include Sonic Mania, Lego City Undercover and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Spring), Splatoon 2 (summer), Skyrim and Super Mario Odyssey (Holiday 2017).

- The accessories for the Switch are a bit on the pricey side: extra docks will run you $90, while extra Joy-Cons are $50 individually or $80 for a pair.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Nintendo did a good, but not great, job here. Promising a new Zelda, a new Mario, Splatoon 2 and an upscaled port of Mario Kart in the first year is a solid lineup. The unified online system is also nice, although I really would have liked to see it at launch rather than six months down the road. The accessories are quite pricey, and will be a big burden for families with multiple players.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Looks good! I can't wait for the new Mario, but will most likely skip launch as I have plenty to play while I wait for the library to fill in.
Young Al Capone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Seeing Mario alongside more realistically rendered humans looked odd. It reminded me, in a bad way, of some of the Sonic games that put him in a real world setting.

Although it did prompt this funny response I saw on Reddit:

Quote:
"It's-a-me, Mario! Get-a-fuck outta the car!"
Old 01-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

I'm more impressed with what they showed than I thought I would be, but the price and accessory price really gives me pause. For what I'd want it to be for the kids and I that's nearly a $600 device (console + full second controller + pro controller + second dock). Yes, I know that's not all necessary, but for how we'd use it that would be a pain without that.

I'm sure we'll probably get one eventually, but it will likely be a Christmas gift for the kids. So far for them there really wasn't much that excited them, and for me there's only Zelda (which is on the Wii U) and Xenoblade, and I (stupidly) still haven't played the first two.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
rein
Colonist

I'm in for 2.

Tay and Hai wanted one and I figured I would have one at my house too. That takes care of the extra controllers and dock because we can just move consoles back and forth between houses without much worry. I know we could accomplish this with a single console but I am sure there will be times that I want to play something Nintendo comes up with. I might was well get on board early this time. I hope the mobility of the Switch will cause me to play more than I did the WiiU.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

I can see myself picking one up after the initial rush. Maybe closer to the holiday season in anticipation of the new Mario title.

All I can say for certain is that all they need to do is release a traditional Animal Crossing game for this and they'll have my money.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Gorvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
I'm in for 2.

Tay and Hai wanted one and I figured I would have one at my house too. That takes care of the extra controllers and dock because we can just move consoles back and forth between houses without much worry. I know we could accomplish this with a single console but I am sure there will be times that I want to play something Nintendo comes up with. I might was well get on board early this time. I hope the mobility of the Switch will cause me to play more than I did the WiiU.
Ya know, thinking about how I'd use it, 2 may make more sense for me. With the accessory prices it would make sense.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
rein
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
Ya know, thinking about how I'd use it, 2 may make more sense for me. With the accessory prices it would make sense.
The added benefit is with two consoles you can do the local lan thing with the kids too.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
Stoke
Act. Like. A. Dove.

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
I was feeling the hype a little bit yesterday, but the event and the news that's come out since then tempered my expectations.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
menage
Praise the sun!

I must live on another planet but I think they just bombed the whole thing again.

The pricing of the system makes it more expensive than a ps4 which actually includes a game. Periphals are way too steep. Mario looked great one moment but terrible in the city. 32g is awful for third partys cause they have a harder dlc sell and updates are going to flood it (basically third part will bail out in a year or so). Performance on Skyrim wasnt that hot, it certainly misses the special edition tag, launch line up is shaky at best, battery life kinda removes the portable bit. The online part sounds terrible, paying Nintendo for a free nes game a month and having to use your phone to actually talk seems like the worst deal I can think off.

Badically, Im better off buying a cheap WiiU with the new Zelda and Bayo 2 for cheap.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
SCREENSHOTS
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
Zero
I do stuff.

I'm extremely salty that all the Breath of the Wild Master Edition preorders went up overnight and Gamestop didn't do any in-store. I have 2 systems preordered though.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
rein
Colonist

I most certainly would not choose the Nintendo Switch over a PS4 or Xbox One but I think it is going to make a good (if not great) secondary console. I see some potential with the mobility and local lan features.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Gorvi

I am still kinda going back and forth. It depends on what Nintendo does with the 3DS down the road, as it would mostly be for the kids. Mine didn't show any interest at all in the stuff Nintendo showed last night.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #15
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Unfortunately Nintendo's version of the PSN+/XBL Gold games will be free rentals; you have the game for free for a month, then it's gone. I sort of see the point from Nintendo's perspective. You try the game, and if you like it, you buy it. But how many people are really going to do that? The hardcore fans of a game are just going to buy it straight away. The casual fans are either going to play it once and put it down, or plow through it and never go back. It sure seems to make the NOS premium plan less attractive.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #16
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. The accessory prices are just plain ludicrous. I've avoided buying Wii U accessories because I think they are overpriced, but the Switch makes Wii U add-ons look like a bargain. I'm also not a fan of paying for online. I had a year of Xbox Gold several years back and didn't use it nearly enough to justify the expense. Nintendo has far fewer online games so it's even worse. A shame too as Splatoon 2 looks like a lot of fun. They also need to announce far more games, as so far only Zelda and Mario are on my must-Play list.

With all that said, I did end up preordering one on Amazon today. I've never preordered a system before, but Amazon makes it easy and I can always cancel it later. The only system I ever bought at launch was the GBA back in 2001. The coming weeks will help me decide if I'll keep it or cancel and wait until next year.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #17
danhoo
My brother is Oscar Mike

Price is a little high, but I can live with that. But the launch line-up is basically Zelda (which I could just get for my Wii U). Definitely will wait a bit on this one. Of course, I probably wouldn't be able to get one at launch anyway.
danhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #18
pomeroy
wtf

I've got one preordered. It'll be a good Zelda machine until something I want comes out. Doesn't hurt that, after trades, I'm going to end up paying less than $100 out of my pocket and I'll be getting Zelda and 1 2 Switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
You're crappy pizza.
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
rein
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
Unfortunately Nintendo's version of the PSN+/XBL Gold games will be free rentals; you have the game for free for a month, then it's gone. I sort of see the point from Nintendo's perspective. You try the game, and if you like it, you buy it. But how many people are really going to do that? The hardcore fans of a game are just going to buy it straight away. The casual fans are either going to play it once and put it down, or plow through it and never go back. It sure seems to make the NOS premium plan less attractive.
I think they are encouraging people to pirate NES/SNES games doing it this way.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #20
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
I think they are encouraging people to pirate NES/SNES games doing it this way.
I'd say the way they handled the NES Classic Mini also is encouraging people to pirate NES games. I swear, Nintendo is their own worst enemy.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote