welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > PC Gaming Sanctuary

Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Arphahat
AR-FA

Bad computer is being bad and making me sad

So, I've started having some computer troubles and am wondering if anyone here would have a guess about wtf is going on.

When I turn on the computer, after a increasingly short duration of time, windows becomes unresponsive. Open apps work mostly, unless they access the hard drive, e.g. saving. Once it gets in a snit, it doesn't come back and requires a push of the reset button.

I've scanned with Panda anti virus, grabbed malwarebytes and scanned with that as well as Spybot and have turned up nothing suspicious.

I've give through the process of disabling services via msconfig and got down to just panda anti virus and still saw the problem. BUT, unplugging my network cable seems to make this problem go completely away. What is causing this? Did my network driver go bad and need to be reinstalled? Or, is the network adapter bad? Or, is it a red herring and something else is going on?

Help?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Anything worrying in the event logs? What version of windows do you have?
A. Yes.
Q. Let the record reflect that I am making little air quotes with my fingers around the word 'confession.'
Judge: So noted.
Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Arphahat
AR-FA

Windows 10. I even rolled back the creator's update. There were some errors in the event log, but I went down the services route first. Of course, I'm away from the puter now and won't be back until tonight sometime. I'll take a look tonight.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Troggles
Nice shot!

I had similar problem a long, long time ago. The network port on my motherboard went bad and I had to buy a network card to fix the problems.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troggles View Post
I had similar problem a long, long time ago. The network port on my motherboard went bad and I had to buy a network card to fix the problems.
With the amount of lag he deals with, this is probably a nice cheap purchase anyway.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
Arphahat
AR-FA

This sounds like an easy thing to try. Any network cards you guys would recommend?

Additionally, I had been posting elsewhere instead of bugging you guys right off and had posted what I found in the event viewer. Please find the excerpt below.

There are some issues in my event viewer, but I am unsure what to make of them or if any of these could be part of the problem:
Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188
The print spooler failed to regenerate the printer driver information for driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer for environment Windows x64. Win32 system error code 1797 (0x705). This can occur after an operating system upgrade or because of data loss on the hard drive.
Installing printer driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer failed, error code 0x0, HRESULT 0x80070705. See the event user data for context information.
The MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS service terminated with the following service-specific error:
WARNING: You have until MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS to logoff. If you have not logged off at this time, your session will be disconnected, and any open files or devices you have open may lose data.
The log scan number (524:272:1) passed to log scan in database 'master' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.
The NetTcpActivator service depends on the NetTcpPortSharing service which failed to start because of the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error: The request is not supported.
App Container profile failed with error 0x800700B7 because it was unable to register the AppContainer SID.
Windows cannot load the extensible counter DLL MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the Windows error code.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
biosc1
monoputer

Could your HDD just be dying? Have your run CHKDSK?

This is the card I threw in mine once I figured my onboard one was garbage - http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-pro...t-ab-15706.htm
Old 04-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

A good question here, why do you have SQL installed on your box? Office install or Visual studio do that for you? Before buying a new card, try new drivers as well, and when is the last time you've run memtest86?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Send a message via AIM to Dukefrukem Send a message via Yahoo to Dukefrukem
First thoughts is the hard drive. Do you have a boot drive and other drives? Or 1 drive to rule them all?
PSN: Dukefrukem XBL: Dukefrukem Steam: Dukefrukem Battlenet: Dukefrukem#1729

Currently Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
Arphahat
AR-FA

I do have visual studio installed and it is probably from that, since I recall not being selective when I installed.

My setup is an SSD as my primary and my two old terabyte HDDs as storage or for less intensive games / apps.

I've not run chkdsk or memtest86 in a long while. I'll give then a run. I'll also try grabbing a new driver for the network.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
jpublic
Threadslayer

Does your SSD have a utility you can use to check its health? For example, my Samsung EVO has a utility called Magician which can tell me all sorts things about it and my other drives.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
Arphahat
AR-FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
Does your SSD have a utility you can use to check its health? For example, my Samsung EVO has a utility called Magician which can tell me all sorts things about it and my other drives.
Yes, I am using the Samsung EVO and Magician says that drive condition is "Good".

I grabbed the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller diagnostic tool and ran it in a loop and it always reported that everything was fine. Stopping it, however, the ethernet driver got stuck trying to reload and I needed to reset again. After, I downloaded the latest driver from Reaktek and installed it, so we'll see shortly if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Arphahat; 04-22-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Arphahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
Arphahat
AR-FA

So, after updating driver, I'm still getting to a non-responsive state. Running the diagnostics doesn't indicate that anything is wrong with the network adapter, but running with all the services re-enabled last night and unplugged for hours seems to indicate to me that it has to be the network adapter.

Amazon has this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-1000M...etwork+adapter

I haven't messed with computer internals in a bit, so I'm kinda rusty. My P6T SE motherboard user guide indicates that I have a PCI1 and a PCI2 slot unused, but when I look at them, they only have two slots, a long and a short one, which the picture on Amazon shows that the adapter has three pluggy-things, a short, followed by a longer one, then a short one again. Is this really going to fit, or is something screwy here?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphahat View Post
So, after updating driver, I'm still getting to a non-responsive state. Running the diagnostics doesn't indicate that anything is wrong with the network adapter, but running with all the services re-enabled last night and unplugged for hours seems to indicate to me that it has to be the network adapter.

Amazon has this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-1000M...etwork+adapter

I haven't messed with computer internals in a bit, so I'm kinda rusty. My P6T SE motherboard user guide indicates that I have a PCI1 and a PCI2 slot unused, but when I look at them, they only have two slots, a long and a short one, which the picture on Amazon shows that the adapter has three pluggy-things, a short, followed by a longer one, then a short one again. Is this really going to fit, or is something screwy here?

Looks like you're good. The PCI one will fit.

Quote:
3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x4 mode)
1 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI
Is your x1 PCIe slot free? You can always get something like this instead, if you're unsure: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigab...k+adapter+pcie

Though, I still prefer Intel - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit.../dp/B001CY0P7G

Last edited by biosc1; 04-22-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

How old is the setup/parts?
What is your resource monitor telling you?

Dying hard drive or failing mother board functions sounds about right but alas we arrive in the test each part portion of the discussion.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #16
Arphahat
AR-FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
Looks like you're good. The PCI one will fit.

Is your x1 PCIe slot free? You can always get something like this instead, if you're unsure: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigab...k+adapter+pcie

Though, I still prefer Intel - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit.../dp/B001CY0P7G
The PCIe is obstructed by the video card. Intel one is more than 2x the cost, is it really that much better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
How old is the setup/parts?
What is your resource monitor telling you?

Dying hard drive or failing mother board functions sounds about right but alas we arrive in the test each part portion of the discussion.
In the Long Long ago, in the Before Time, a computer was assembled in 2009.

Quote:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 4870 DirectX 10.1 HD-487A-ZHFC 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80601920 Processor
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ
2x Western Digital Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
SAMSUNG 22X Half-Height DVD Writer Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support
In 2015, I added:
Quote:
XFX Radeon R9 380 R9-380P-4255 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Double Dissipation XXX OC Video Card
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM
In 2016, I added more memory:
Quote:
1 x G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop
Running Resource Monitor, for Processes, 5% CPU usage, but 94% Maximum Frequency. Memory at 45% Used Physical Memory.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #17
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphahat View Post
The PCIe is obstructed by the video card. Intel one is more than 2x the cost, is it really that much better?
I've always just used Intel cards. Always seemed to work for me in the past for work and home. Brand loyalty yada yada. It's a moot point if your PCIe ports are covered.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #18
Arphahat
AR-FA

I am in the beginning of the non-responsive state now. CPU is at 16% Usage, 103% Maximum Frequency. Everything else is pretty low. 17 Kbps Network I/O, 45% Used Physical Memory.

EDIT:
Whoa, Network Jumped to max I/O, Disk is at Max. Memory at 12 Hard Faults/sec.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
jpublic
Threadslayer

Hmm. Next time this happens, see what process is eating the disk and network I/O in resource monitor.

I'm wondering if it's some process like Windows update trying to do a task.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #20
Troggles
Nice shot!

You could also disable the network port in the device manager for extra testing of that.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote