welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #121
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Damn, this game... It has singularly restored my wavering faith in video games. Is it flawless? Nope. What it is, though, is exceptionally well realized and a ton of fun.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:11 AM   #122
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

After a week off from this, I had forgotten I had turned this down to easy. After taking down three Glinthawks I checked and remembered turning it down to easy. That's the perfect difficulty for this game IMO. If you turn it up higher the enemies are just annoying OP arrow sponges. Having every larger enemy basically be a mini-boss just feels like a waste of time honestly. Dying repeatedly on the same damn enemy, after using every tactic and skill I have just to have the bastard win out in the end due to one mistake and losing a ton of progress is just a waste of time. And When I start feeling like that, I start questioning why I'm playing something.

On easy I am having fun, and on easy it will stay.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #123
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
After a week off from this, I had forgotten I had turned this down to easy. After taking down three Glinthawks I checked and remembered turning it down to easy. That's the perfect difficulty for this game IMO. If you turn it up higher the enemies are just annoying OP arrow sponges. Having every larger enemy basically be a mini-boss just feels like a waste of time honestly. Dying repeatedly on the same damn enemy, after using every tactic and skill I have just to have the bastard win out in the end due to one mistake and losing a ton of progress is just a waste of time. And When I start feeling like that, I start questioning why I'm playing something.

On easy I am having fun, and on easy it will stay.
We agree to disagree. I still think you are trying to bite off more than you can chew (is that the saying?) when you're on normal difficulty. I have no problem taking down a small or medium bot on normal. Start throwing in multiples, though, and it can get really messy really quickly.

Having said that, experience really matters in this game. Knowing what armour to put on, what weapons to have at the ready before even attacking.

Yesterday, I was on a mission for a Bellowback Heart so I could buy some sweet sweet armour. I killed probably 12-15 of them. They didn't take long to take down at all (though I got killed quit easily when 3 of them were on me. Just 2 I could handle...as long as they were the same elemental type). Anyway, some tear arrows to knock off armour, some hardpoint arrows to blow up their fuel sack and they were done. Each took less than a minute to bring down.

On a side note, I took down my first Stormbird last night. Now that fight was pointless (well, I did get some nice rare modules out of it), but I wanted to try it. I roped it down, took out some it's modules, etc...it took about 15-20 minutes, but it was an epic fight (especially when those to long legs joined in :/).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is keep playing, it'll all start coming together.

Pro-tip: Play the Hunter Lodge missions. You learn a bunch of techniques and you get huge XP gains.
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #124
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
We agree to disagree. I still think you are trying to bite off more than you can chew (is that the saying?) when you're on normal difficulty. I have no problem taking down a small or medium bot on normal. Start throwing in multiples, though, and it can get really messy really quickly.

Having said that, experience really matters in this game. Knowing what armour to put on, what weapons to have at the ready before even attacking.

Yesterday, I was on a mission for a Bellowback Heart so I could buy some sweet sweet armour. I killed probably 12-15 of them. They didn't take long to take down at all (though I got killed quit easily when 3 of them were on me. Just 2 I could handle...as long as they were the same elemental type). Anyway, some tear arrows to knock off armour, some hardpoint arrows to blow up their fuel sack and they were done. Each took less than a minute to bring down.

On a side note, I took down my first Stormbird last night. Now that fight was pointless (well, I did get some nice rare modules out of it), but I wanted to try it. I roped it down, took out some it's modules, etc...it took about 15-20 minutes, but it was an epic fight (especially when those to long legs joined in :/).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is keep playing, it'll all start coming together.

Pro-tip: Play the Hunter Lodge missions. You learn a bunch of techniques and you get huge XP gains.
Oh I won't argue that I might be playing the game wrong. It's just what this game is about isn't good for an impatient person. Stealth hunting and strategy aren't my favorite things. So when you combine that with bullet sponge enemies I start wondering why am I even playing this thing.

That said, I do have a tendency to jump first and think second. Three Glintwhawks? I can take em! Two Snapmaws? Shouldn't be too bad. Then when things go south panic sets in and... well you get the idea. You're right, I wanna kill every baddie I see now. Waiting and leveling sucks for me.

What I'm saying is I want the cool toys and the strong badass heroine now! Because impatience and bullheadedness.

Old Today, 12:36 PM   #125
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Oh I won't argue that I might be playing the game wrong. It's just what this game is about isn't good for an impatient person. Stealth hunting and strategy aren't my favorite things. So when you combine that with bullet sponge enemies I start wondering why am I even playing this thing.

That said, I do have a tendency to jump first and think second. Three Glintwhawks? I can take em! Two Snapmaws? Shouldn't be too bad. Then when things go south panic sets in and... well you get the idea. You're right, I wanna kill every baddie I see now. Waiting and leveling sucks for me.

What I'm saying is I want the cool toys and the strong badass heroine now! Because impatience and bullheadedness.
I don't think leveling helps as much as just actual experience. Three glinthawks aren't bad at all if you have some good frost armour. A couple of fire arrows brings one down, a silent strike followed by a heavy strike should take it out. It's just the routine you need to get used to. Of course, if a pack of scrappers or a sawtooth joins the fray, things will go south quickly so you really do have to pick your battles.

I'm not a big stealth fan either, but this game does click with me...I've sat in a bush for minutes waiting for machines to separate or plotting their paths so that I don't have to take them all on at once. Culling the herd, if you will
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #126
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
I don't think leveling helps as much as just actual experience. Three glinthawks aren't bad at all if you have some good frost armour. A couple of fire arrows brings one down, a silent strike followed by a heavy strike should take it out. It's just the routine you need to get used to. Of course, if a pack of scrappers or a sawtooth joins the fray, things will go south quickly so you really do have to pick your battles.

I'm not a big stealth fan either, but this game does click with me...I've sat in a bush for minutes waiting for machines to separate or plotting their paths so that I don't have to take them all on at once. Culling the herd, if you will
Actually, I can see what you mean. A few minutes I started working on a hunting quest for trophies. Somehow I managed to take down TWO Sawtooths. Just by using armor destroying arrows and a combination of fire arrows regular arrows and trip wires. It was insanely fast. I was like, did I just do that!? Holy shit, maybe I don't suck.

Old Today, 02:25 PM   #127
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Actually, I can see what you mean. A few minutes I started working on a hunting quest for trophies. Somehow I managed to take down TWO Sawtooths. Just by using armor destroying arrows and a combination of fire arrows regular arrows and trip wires. It was insanely fast. I was like, did I just do that!? Holy shit, maybe I don't suck.
That's it! I actually only just did the second set of trials and was like "How can this be done in under 40 seconds"? Lo and behold, it tells you too shoot the heard animal with fire arrows and it does a violent explosions killing all around it.

Just little tips like that help. Now, if I can only work on not falling to my death, I may be nigh invincible.
Old Today, 02:32 PM   #128
civil_dead
1% Prick.

Quote:
Dammit. I've been avoiding those. I hate timed missions. You know, old age and all that. I don't need a videogame reminding me of my impending doom!

But when I get back home from my visit I'll try a few. Can't wait to spend more time with this game, looking forward to farting around for a couple of hours.

Sent from a phone so please forgive any errors and factual misrepresentations.

- Zeal
civil_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #129
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_dead View Post
Dammit. I've been avoiding those. I hate timed missions. You know, old age and all that. I don't need a videogame reminding me of my impending doom!

But when I get back home from my visit I'll try a few. Can't wait to spend more time with this game, looking forward to farting around for a couple of hours.
If an old man like me can do them, you can as well. You can get thousands of XP from them. I went up like 3 levels doing one lodge.

The issue isn't necessarily the time, it's figuring out what to do. For example, I needed to know 3 little canisters off the bottom of a shocked Bellowback. Took me a few tries to actually figure out what they were...then I had to make sure they were still shock stunned...then it was super easy.
Old Today, 03:53 PM   #130
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Dude, there's a huge difference between three glinthawks and two snapmaws. Heck, I can take six glinthawks without half as much trouble as two snapmaws.

I can understand the impatience, which is why I fast travel quite a bit so that I don't have to deal with taking down all of the random machines on my route. However, what biosc says is right, make sure you've got the right armor and know what their weak spots are and what they're weak to.

Nock three fire arrows (hopefully you've leveled that up, and your bow with the fire arrows is loaded up with fire and damage mods) and shoot down a glinthawk then move to the next one doing the same thing. Glinthawks are very weak to fire, and usually three fire arrows will burn them long enough to kill them. If not, one more fire arrow or a precision arrow will take them out.

I hardly ever stealth kill anymore, just know what type of machines you're going against, lay down a few trip wires if they're big and you can lure them into them, then go to work using the element they're weak against while aiming for their weak points. Make sure you have one of every armor loaded up with mods that increase its effectiveness and quickly switch to the armor most suited to what you need.

It really is all about practice, although I still get beat up if I try to dodge roll into a tree or boulder because the camera is absolute trash. Once I stopped being afraid to use my healing potions and herbs, even that wasn't a huge deal. And at this point I just buy replacement potions because hunting the animals is too much work.
Old Today, 04:41 PM   #131
biosc1
monoputer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
And at this point I just buy replacement potions because hunting the animals is too much work.
...but I still need 1 racoon skin and 1 boar skin to complete my mods
Old Today, 06:06 PM   #132
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
...but I still need 1 racoon skin and 1 boar skin to complete my mods
Yeah, keep hunting them until you upgrade all of your pouches. After that the rich meat is just too uncommon to be worth it.