welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > P&R Arena

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #61
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World
 
Ink Asylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,833
I'm using "you" in a general, hypothetical sense.
__________________
blog ~ twitter ~ flickr ~ daily sketch
Ink Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #62
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,902
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingOrc View Post
I'm...pretty sure that, cigarette for cigarette, marijuana is worse for you than industrially-created tobacco. The trick is that very, very few people smoke the equivalent of two packs a day of marijuana.
Yeah, you're right. Took it up with the ol' pharmacist (aka wife), and we tried to look up some information. What I read was that a joint is about as bad as 2.5-5 cigarettes in terms of airway obstruction. The problem seems to be the lack of filter on joints and the fact that smokers hold in marijuana smoke longer than regular cigarette smokes
__________________
XBL: The Reverant
Steam: johneldridge
Origin: TheReverantOne
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #63
MagGnome
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingOrc View Post
As a white southern christian, this is ridiculous. Some people are far too rude to others, but forcing others to deal with your addiction (if the problem is addiction, use a nicotine patch when
you're in public) by walking through your smoke? How is that possibly good manners?
I know we all love analogies around here, so I've come up with a good one.

Let's say that I'm addicted to masturbation. I want to masturbate all the time, everywhere, and if I don't masturbate at least one per hour then I get antsy. How rude are the people who take offense when I rub one out on the bus, or in a doorway? I have an addiction! Is the sight of my penis really so offensive that they can't just hurry past and/or avert their eyes?

I think, by bean's logic, that it would be rude of people to chastise me for choking the chicken in a way that might make others uncomfortable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
MagGnome told you just how bad it could be...
Oh no, it could certainly be much worse. I may get the sniffles, watery eyes, and sometimes have a little trouble breathing (mainly through my nose), but I've seen people have far worse reactions. My reactions are generally somewhat mild, at least compared to some other people I've met.

The worst experience I ever had was when I stayed the night in a hotel room that allowed smoking. My friend and I didn't smoke, but it was obvious that people smoked in the room frequently. One night there and I was literally sick for a few days. It was awful. If that situation ever arises again I'll probably just sleep in the car.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #64
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,902
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I know we all love analogies around here, so I've come up with a good one.

Let's say that I'm addicted to masturbation. I want to masturbate all the time, everywhere, and if I don't masturbate at least one per hour then I get antsy. How rude are the people who take offense when I rub one out on the bus, or in a doorway? I have an addiction! Is the sight of my penis really so offensive that they can't just hurry past and/or avert their eyes?

I think, by bean's logic, that it would be rude of people to chastise me for choking the chicken in a way that might make others uncomfortable.
This is serious. Masturbation addiction kills millions of men between the ages of 9 and 37 ever year.
__________________
XBL: The Reverant
Steam: johneldridge
Origin: TheReverantOne
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #65
bean
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,940
@MagGnome - As I've said before, but I think it was ignored by the flame warriors who prefer outrage to discussion, your position on this made me reconsider it. I'm allergic to cats, and if people were jumping up and down with cats in the air to spread their dander about so that I couldn't pass without getting a runny nose and itchy eyes, I'd have a real problem with it too.

However, that doesn't make my other statements less true. You know there are people out there that are just rude, selfish authoritarians who feel entitled to punish smokers because it's a nasty habit. Douchebags who are incapable of empathy rub me the wrong way, even when their bullshit isn't directed at me.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #66
Ultima Thulian
Apostate
 
Ultima Thulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Martinsville, WV
Posts: 4,104
Send a message via AIM to Ultima Thulian
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
stuff
Wait a minute. So you're saying that, by bean's logic, we would be living in a society in which people could masturbate without fear of reprimand? How is this a bad thing, again?
__________________
Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare The truth thou hast, that all may share; Be bold, proclaim it everywhere: They only live who dare. - Voltaire

Ultima Thulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #67
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World
 
Ink Asylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,833
Quote:
However, that doesn't make my other statements less true. You know there are people out there that are just rude, selfish authoritarians who feel entitled to punish smokers because it's a nasty habit. Douchebags who are incapable of empathy rub me the wrong way, even when their bullshit isn't directed at me.
Most non-smokers aren't like that, though. The behavior of asshole non- smokers does not make nice non-smokers rude for wanting smoke free environments.
__________________
blog ~ twitter ~ flickr ~ daily sketch
Ink Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #68
bean
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,940
@Ink Asylum - I wasn't talking about rational, normal non-smokers. What gave you that idea?
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #69
Slack3r78
Doctor of Journalism
 
Slack3r78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 3,483
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via AIM to Slack3r78
Standing by a door smoking is a dick move.

Going out of your way to walk past a smoker that's made a point of standing well away from the general flow of traffic to make a point of coughing and "shaming" them is an equally dick move.

I see both far too often.
__________________
Jesus, these are the pigs who run the country. Nixon/southerners/Big Business
Slack3r78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #70
Matthias
is trying to post more...
 
Matthias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,837
While we're complaining about people smoking in doorways/highly trafficked areas, can I whine about people putting their cigarettes at waist level just as someone passes by? I know it's unintentional, but I've been burned on my hand easily half a dozen times because I've been walking through a crowd or crowded doorway and someone lowered their hand as I passed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman's Dead View Post
Also, I wish everyone I didn't like in Real Life turned out to be Schnoogs too. That would bring a rather charming and hilarious symmetry to things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasson_ View Post
Plasma cannons are just tops. Stupid demons and their gay-ass hell-magic. lol.
Twitter: payco | Impulse: payco | Steam: Matthias [CoG]
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #71
MagGnome
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
@MagGnome - As I've said before, but I think it was ignored by the flame warriors who prefer outrage to discussion, your position on this made me reconsider it. I'm allergic to cats, and if people were jumping up and down with cats in the air to spread their dander about so that I couldn't pass without getting a runny nose and itchy eyes, I'd have a real problem with it too.
The image of people waving cats through the air in such a manner made me laugh, but yes, that's a good analogy, even if it's something that isn't going to actually happen. I was allergic to cats when I was younger, but thankfully it's abated quite a bit. Some of them still bother me, but not all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Thulian View Post
Wait a minute. So you're saying that, by bean's logic, we would be living in a society in which people could masturbate without fear of reprimand? How is this a bad thing, again?
I'm quite sexually liberal, and even I don't think people should be allowed to masturbate on the bus, the street corner, or other such public places. I do think people are too paranoid about nudity, but a bus or sidewalk is not one of the places where anyone should be rubbing one out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
While we're complaining about people smoking in doorways/highly trafficked areas, can I whine about people putting their cigarettes at waist level just as someone passes by? I know it's unintentional, but I've been burned on my hand easily half a dozen times because I've been walking through a crowd or crowded doorway and someone lowered their hand as I passed.
I haven't been burned, thankfully, but there have been times where I ended up with a streak of ash on my clothing. Yuck...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #72
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World
 
Ink Asylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
@Ink Asylum - I wasn't talking about rational, normal non-smokers. What gave you that idea?
Because this was your first post on the topic:

Quote:
I have no problem with smokers smoking outside - even near doors. That's rude of them, but few places have created a safe area for smokers that is out of the wind.
I was under the impression we were comparing the desires of smokers with the desires of the general, non-smoking public. You've only brought up excessively rude non-smokers occasionally as a side point.

If you just want to compare rude smokers to rude non-smokers what's the point?
__________________
blog ~ twitter ~ flickr ~ daily sketch
Ink Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #73
bean
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,940
@Ink - Then you ignored a lot of discussion between that starting point and what I think now after having considered MagGnome's allergic viewpoint.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #74
Ultima Thulian
Apostate
 
Ultima Thulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Martinsville, WV
Posts: 4,104
Send a message via AIM to Ultima Thulian
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I'm quite sexually liberal, and even I don't think people should be allowed to masturbate on the bus, the street corner, or other such public places. I do think people are too paranoid about nudity, but a bus or sidewalk is not one of the places where anyone should be rubbing one out.
I was just yanking your chain (punny!), but I do think it would be funny to live in a society where masturbation can happen at any time. I bet people would get used to it after awhile. Society would adapt to it.
__________________
Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare The truth thou hast, that all may share; Be bold, proclaim it everywhere: They only live who dare. - Voltaire

Ultima Thulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #75
MagGnome
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Thulian View Post
I was just yanking your chain (punny!), but I do think it would be funny to live in a society where masturbation can happen at any time. I bet people would get used to it after awhile. Society would adapt to it.
I figured (hoped?) that you were joking. Yes, that would be an interesting world indeed. Sort of like college dorms, but on a mass scale?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #76
National Kato
Surfer Rosa
 
National Kato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sun & Sand
Posts: 9,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
@J Arcane - Right. I agree about the hemp part. However, I have to wonder about the one point that remains. Are pharmaceutical, alcohol, and tobacco companies opposing the legalization of marijuana in order to prevent competition?
PhRMA, for sure. The medicinal application of marijuana, instead of buying OTC and prescription medicines, would hurt the pharmaceutical companies on their bottom line. Add alcoholic beverage manufacturers/distributors and tobacco companies to cover recreational usage and you have a lot of lobbying power against legalization.
__________________
360: National Kato
PSN: National_Kato
Steam: NationalKato
Origin: NationalKato
Now Playing: Destiny / Just Cause 2 / Hearthstone / GTA V
[twitch.tv]
[smith.ink]
National Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #77
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX
 
Xerxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: HTX
Posts: 22,302
Blog Entries: 8
I normally don't partake but if legal I'd probably go hog wild.
__________________
360:
Xerxes
PSN/Steam/Origin:
ArmoredXerxes


Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #78
bean
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I normally don't partake but if legal I'd probably go hog wild.
I still think I wouldn't because I'm not a fan of "being high". It just seems like wasted time and money to me.

That's not a judgment of those who do it. I don't think they are "time-wasters" anymore than they should think that my playing video games or drinking with friends is a waste of time. It's just not how I want to spend my free time or money.

However, I still think the benefits of legalizing it out weight the cons.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #79
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan
 
evilgoodwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,600
Blog Entries: 1
I'd just like to enjoy independent films for once.
__________________
PSN/Steam: evilgoodwin
The Nonsensical Prose of a Lunatic
Currently Watching: American Horror Story - S02, Angel - S03, Buffy - S06, Continuum - S02, Deadwood - S01, Mad Men - S06 Rome - S01, Sons of Anarchy - S06
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #80
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press
 
J Arcane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 17,247
Blog Entries: 1
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/0...ne-to-survive/
__________________
Bedroom Wall Press - Games that make you feel like a kid again.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
// Google Analytics - Must remain as a separate script // External Source Executed