Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #81
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
I've had the Game Of Thrones theme running through my head all day. Why did I wait this long to watch the show?
I am surprised you haven't been following the series on HBO. Why did you wait?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
I admit you have caught me
I think of you "gaslighting" anyone it must have two components: a flammable substance and fire. I can't see you bothering any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydarc View Post
Well I guessed wrong

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #82
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

Well, so far Sword and Sworcery is a load of awkward pretentious twaddle.

I was really looking forward to this one. The gameplay I watched back before release was all mysterious and subtle and intriguing, this is just a bunch of awful shite. The visuals are still neat looking, and the music's good, but the writing, and the controls, ugh.

Oh well, it was cheap at least, though now I wish I'd gotten it on my iPad where it was cheaper.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #83
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

I think I mentioned it when I played it; the writing is rather bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #84
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
I am surprised you haven't been following the series on HBO. Why did you wait?
I don't have HBO and I'm too lazy to download shows these days. I have had the blu-rays since the set came out but I've been so crazy busy I just haven't carved out the time to watch it until now. I've been reading the books since the first one came out, so I know the story, so there wasn't as big of a burning desire to see what happens, but damn, it's a great adaptation. And those opening credits are phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
I think I mentioned it when I played it; the writing is rather bad.
It's intentionally clunky. Most of the game is a meta narrative about games and tech anyway. I actually dig it.

Analogue is getting interesting now that I've opened up a lot of the text logs and have administrative access to the ingame OS. Did I mention that this game plays like a Korean drama take on Uplink? It's also nice that a lot of the mysogynist stuff that makes up the initial portion of the story is being questioned and pointed out as being out of place and very odd.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #85
Spigot
Turn Me

Damn it, Xydarc. Another Kairosoft game? I love them but I've become gun-shy about firing them up when I buy them because they consume me for a good week or so at a stretch and I don't get anything done
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #86
rein
TEAM BLUE

Xydarc, which one of those two do you like best? I'm on the road so much at work I need a good time killer I can play in bursts. The iPhone is great but the screen size is killing me. I think I am going to start doing more "gaming" on my flashed Nook Color until I decide what my next portable purchase will be. (Vita? New laptop? tablet? all three?)
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #87
Shieldmaiden
Social Justice Cleric

I have been thoroughly enjoying a weekend spent at home. I can't remember the last weekend I had that wasn't spent away at a LARP event or visiting friends and family (I just used Facebook to check previous weekends. My last free one was the 17th and 18th of March.)

I went to the pub with one of the guys from work on Friday night. That turned into a few beers, followed by a really nice meal at an Indian restaurant and more beers at my local that had a pretty decent classic rock and metal covers band playing. It was slightly weird noticing that I was the youngest person in there and that I had someone asking me what the song was after the band played Walk by Pantera. When the crowd doesn't know 20 year old songs, you really feel young. I had a good time and ended up staying on my own after my friend had to head home. I chatted to a few people and I'm probably going to head in there more often.

The rest of the weekend has been dedicated to watching movies and gaming. I caught up on Supernatural and Community, seriously enjoyed the Sniper Elite V2 demo and I'm about to watch the latest episode of Legend of Korra.

Also, William Fichtner is probably my favourite actor whose name I can never remember.

Put the sexy back in large wholesale slaughter!
Shieldmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #88
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Quote:
I don't have HBO and I'm too lazy to download shows these days. I have had the blu-rays since the set came out but I've been so crazy busy I just haven't carved out the time to watch it until now. I've been reading the books since the first one came out, so I know the story, so there wasn't as big of a burning desire to see what happens, but damn, it's a great adaptation. And those opening credits are phenomenal.
I know you were a big fan of the books. I think it was you who were talking aout them with Kelegacy I believe ways back. That's when I started hearing of the series. I really should pay attention to what you read more. I probably would read a good portion of what you read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
Xydarc, which one of those two do you like best? I'm on the road so much at work I need a good time killer I can play in bursts. The iPhone is great but the screen size is killing me. I think I am going to start doing more "gaming" on my flashed Nook Color until I decide what my next portable purchase will be. (Vita? New laptop? tablet? all three?)
I vote all three If you have to choose i'd say tablet first. You love the games you find on your iphone so access to more iOS games or droid probably would be a good fit. Then I say Vita because you are closet handheld gamer. And you would get use out of it.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #89
MagGnome

Quote:
Likelihood of no hangover? Birthday weekend? There is no statistical word that would describe that impossible probability.

I thought your final project for that class was interesting. I'm curious to see how it turns out. I'd love to read it if you will let me.
Yeah, I'll let you check out my project when I'm done with it. I make no promises as to the quality of it, however.

You were right about the hangover. First of all, I worked for 8 hours on Friday. I had my hands in the dirt all day, as myself and two others potted up around 3,000 plants. I only sat for 30 minutes, so by the end of the day my legs and back were quite sore. It was fun though!

I came home and took a quick shower before meeting friends for dinner. I had a giant margarita at dinner. The waitress also brought out a large sombrero for me to wear and a flaming shot that I drank. After dinner we headed to a nearby bar, but we weren't feeling it so we ended up at one of the gay clubs. I had three whiskey sours while we were there, and then we headed to another gay club. I had several more whiskey sours (lost count...), danced, kissed a girl, kissed a guy, proposed to a female friend of mine, ran into several people I hadn't seen in ages and had silly drunk talk with them, and woke up in a friend's bed the next morning - he was sleeping on the couch though, thankfully. I had an awful hangover, and I came home and spent the whole afternoon in bed. My friends all had a blast, so it was a success, even if I wish I had drank about half as much as I did.

By 4:30 I was feeling better, so I took a quick shower, got dressed, and headed to my birthday dinner with the Game Night crew. We had a nice dinner, although my food was a little disappointing. Normally the food at The Bulldog is great, but my veggie burger was overcooked and the fries were limp. Still, it was fun, and afterward we headed to a friend's place and played a few games. I had two beers at dinner, and nothing but water after that as I was still feeling a little off.

Now today I have to get that entire final project done...ugh.

As for birthday presents (actual birthday is tomorrow), I've gotten some money from relatives, and from friends I got a bottle of 2 Gingers whiskey, a bottle of Glenfiddich scotch (I think that's the one, she's giving it to me later this week), a paper voodoo doll kit (to curse my enemies, hehe), and a little cross-stitched sign with a joke about vacuuming on it that I can hang up in my new place.

Quote:
Mags has a deep voice? I always read his posts with the voice of the Travelocity gnome in my head.
Har de har har.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #90
pomeroy
FREE DISGUSTIPATED

FUCK OFF ACCOUNTING.

Anyway, I'm taking a break from that stuff and browsing the CoG and probably going to play some vidya gamez before doing some more studying. Blech.
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #91
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
Xydarc, which one of those two do you like best?
That's like asking me which niece I love best. I give a slight edge to Dungeon Village because it's more RPG than Astro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
kissed a girl,
And you liked it?
Xydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #92
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
FUCK OFF ACCOUNTING.
I started my college career as an accounting major. Man that was so many careers/years ago. Thankfully I can laugh now at those career goals. Back then...just lots of crying over accounting sucking.
Quote:
And you liked it?
Mags is straight when drunk. Who knew.

@SombreroGnome: You know I am going to need that pic of you in the sombrero. I know one exists.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #93
MagGnome

Quote:
And you liked it?

Quote:
@SombreroGnome: You know I am going to need that pic of you in the sombrero. I know one exists.
A friend took a few pictures, but they are terrible.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #94
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

I never get to kiss anyone at a bar.

I think I'm doing it wrong.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #95
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Just finished episode 1 of The Walking Dead. I loved it. I will gift this to a few adventure loving people around here when a Steam sale hits.

I can't wait till ADD plays this to see her choices.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #96
rein
TEAM BLUE

Quote:
I started my college career as an accounting major. Man that was so many careers/years ago. Thankfully I can laugh now at those career goals. Back then...just lots of crying over accounting sucking.
I think a lot of people started out in Accounting. I did too. I didn't have a problem with the classes other than they were boring. Very boring. As for Accounting classes, I took Accounting I, II, Cost and one other that I can't remember now (Tax?). I'm sure they get harder past the Sophomore level though.

Bleh. I've been internet window shopping all morning. I've decided I am going to get Hai an Amazon Fire for her Birthday. Yes, she will only be two but it will accomplish two things. One, I can see if I want one or if I just want to stick with my Nook Color. Two, we can start purchasing all of her kids e-books and some movies on it. She plays with the iTouch a lot right now so I figure the Fire is at least a bigger screen. Poor kid is going to have eye strain before she gets school age.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #97
Shieldmaiden
Social Justice Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post

Last time I kissed anyone in a bar that I wasn't already in a relationship with was the night I lost my virginity and that was so easy that I reckon it was a fluke, or she was really a hooker paid for by the friend that introduced us.

Put the sexy back in large wholesale slaughter!
Shieldmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #98
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Well, took two days off to relax, played some SWTOR, and now I have to finish school.

First, though, gotta make some Tortilla Soup to eat on for the rest of the week. My friend who runs the sandwich truck (the very same one that my obsession works at) had to go back to Rhode Island for a funeral. He's had a bad year, honestly, so I try to buy from him every day I can (since it's located conveniently close to my school AND is in my bar's parking lot). As such, it will be closed until next Tuesday.

One week left. 3 papers and a presentation. This week is going to suck, because it has to. And then they will never suck again.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), FFXIV (PC), FFXIII (PC), Theatrhythm: Curtain Call (3DS), Fire Emblem (3DS)
FFXIV: Assyndra Siafu on Hyperion (US)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #99
MagGnome

I really need to get off of the internet and get that project done. Why am I so lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post

You just need to find the right people.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #100
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
I know you were a big fan of the books. I think it was you who were talking aout them with Kelegacy I believe ways back. That's when I started hearing of the series. I really should pay attention to what you read more. I probably would read a good portion of what you read.
Have you read Patrick Rothfuss' books, "The Name Of The Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear"? They're great new(ish) books and a very refreshing take on fantasy. I just read a great book about wrestling (cue Mags groaning) that really got into the history and behind the scenes stuff of the 'sport' as a whole. Given how obsessed my son is about WWE (and how much I'm watching by proxy) it was really cool to read stuff that got into the business side of it and how much it has changed since the 80s.

Well, time to go dig out my lawn mower, trim the lawn and maybe finish this game of Pokemon Monopoly that my son & I started two weeks ago.