welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
Cit Phil Cit
Clockwork Horror

I remember a doom .wad that had star trek sound effects and boobies - that was a good ST game.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
There was also 25th Anniversary, another point-n-click adventure game.

And yes, it has been a while. That one would now be called 45th Anniversary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigballistic View Post
That is the only one I can think of that I enjoyed. I am probably in the minority tho.
I was going to mention 25th Anniversary as well (also the sequel Judgement Rites.)
TheKeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
There was a DS9 based game as well that I enjoyed quite a bit. Forgot the name. And the TNG based Adventure game was one of my faves.

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #24
menage
Praise the sun!

This looks allright, but yeah, it's hard to see any Star Trek in there.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #25
JayVe
Kamalot at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
There was also 25th Anniversary, another point-n-click adventure game.

And yes, it has been a while. That one would now be called 45th Anniversary.
Yup. That game instantly sprung to mind as the best Trek game to date.

Hot damn. How can you argue with graphics like that?

S'like I'm right there... on the bridge!
Steam: Kamalot
JayVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #26
Narradisall
Cookies

I enjoyed the first Armada, Elite Force 1 and STO. They were all solid fun games. Not AAA or anything, but not terrible.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #27
Stmfuller
Actually Graduated

Star Fleet academy I enjoyed (the one based on the TOS series). I also didn't hate the Elite Force 1 game. I remember it being good and that was about it.
Always wanted to play Star Trek: Borg, but I couldn't get it running on my system.
The Klingon game was awful.
Star Trek Online was fun but I got burned out on it...much in the same way I burned out on SWTOR.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #28
CES
Colonist

JJ, why do you have to fuck everything up that you touch? The franchise should have stayed dead after Enterprise instead of becoming Generic Sci-Fi IP No.5.

Seriously, you want to make a good ST game that's true to the source? Make it like X3.
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
bean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CES View Post
JJ, why do you have to fuck everything up that you touch? The franchise should have stayed dead after Enterprise instead of becoming Generic Sci-Fi IP No.5.
I could not disagree more. Star Trek 2009 was an awesome movie. I'd be happy to see another thoughtful, character driven sci-fi show about space exploration, but I'm also happy to see such an awesome, adventurous re imagining of the original show as film.

Having said that, while I'm super-excited to see the next Star Trek, I am not that excited to play Star Treak: the movie, the game.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
CES
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
I could not disagree more. Star Trek 2009 was an awesome movie. I'd be happy to see another thoughtful, character driven sci-fi show about space exploration, but I'm also happy to see such an awesome, adventurous re imagining of the original show as film.
As a summer popcorn flick it ticked all the boxes it had to but as a Star Trek fan, it was like watching someone piss on my childhood. Part of the issue is that what made ST great doesn't translate well to film. People going to the cinema usually don't want to see moral arguments designed to make you think wrapped up in a shiny sci-fi bubble.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #31
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Sure people do. People who make such things just don't want to do it within the context of a franchise.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
bean
Banned

Quote:
Part of the issue is that what made ST great doesn't translate well to film.
Well, I think you're right; however, I think you aren't giving Star Trek (2009) enough credit. They had so much Trek goodness. . . Spock's time as a child on Vulcan, turning down his admittance to Vulcan academy, the very cool Star Trek academy, the meet-cute of Kirk and Bones, making O'hura a central character that is interesting, the Kobiyashi Maru, time travel that links events in Universe 1 with this universe while also wiping the slate clear, the rather silly (but excellent) introduction of Scotty as a brilliant insubordinate marooned on a prison world, and Spock's loss and subsequent loss of control being central to Spock and Kirk's antagonistic relationship developing into friendship. It provides a bed for further love/hate which was always what was great about them.

I know one of my Trek-head fans hated the ending scene because the implosion would not look like that at all (which I found as silly as saying a dragon wouldn't look like the Chinese dragons), and I agree that they overdid it with the light bloom. . . but I can forgive those things. They delivered a really exciting, fun Star Trek movie that was DEFINITELY a Star Trek movie. It had an action movie's pace, but they did not skimp on cool Trek stuff for fans.

Also, I live in Austin, and we have very well known awesome theaters in our town (Alamo Drafthouse). These theaters sometimes play old movies for free (you are expected to buy some beer, dinner, or something, though you don't have to) and my best friend and I went to see the Wrath of Khan on the big screen. You can imagine our surprise when at the beginning of the movie, the manager introduced Leonord Nimoy and said that he hoped that we wouldn't be upset if we did not see the Wrath of Khan tonight because they planned a surprise screening of the new Stark Trek movie instead.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #33
CES
Colonist

They had me interested right through the first half. Spock's early life, Kirk's father dying and his general jackassery through the Academy and even the time travel is standard Trek fare. The moment Kirk steps onto the Enterprise he becomes the biggest Gary Stu I've seen in years. He couldn't be more infallible if he was a fanfic character.

Purely from a Trek nerd standpoint, I have issues with parts of the plot too. I fully admit this is pathetic nitpicking so it's enclosed within a spoiler.

Red Matter is even by Trek standards hilarious. Vulcan is gone (hey, remember those guys, the ones who, oh I don't know, helped found the biggest fucking faction in the entire setting?). The Narada being six miles long (the fuck is this, Star Wars?) and looking for all the world like a dried out acorn because it was "retrofitted with Borg technology", because in the late 24th century Borg tech is lying around like scrap.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
Wasson_
The Last Starfighter

yeah the red matter was stupid as fuck...

but the movie did a good job of sexying star trek up. It needed it pretty damn bad.
I mean, I thought the last thing I'd hear in a Star Trek movie was Sabotage
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
Panthera
ANUSTART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
There was a DS9 based game as well that I enjoyed quite a bit. Forgot the name. And the TNG based Adventure game was one of my faves.
Harbinger! That one was really rather unique. I think it was the only adventure game I played where you couldn't go through the same talk trees over and over.

Only I got stuck on this part where some retarded alien kept talking about Citadel.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Panthera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #36
bean
Banned

Quote:
The moment Kirk steps onto the Enterprise he becomes the biggest Gary Stu I've seen in years. He couldn't be more infallible if he was a fanfic character.
Kirk is not a Gary Stu character at all. He's a hothead, has no regard for authority, and is overconfident. These flaws get in his way frequently.

The writers did a lot to point out these flaws (kid stealing and destroying stepdad's car, getting into a bar fight where he is vastly outnumbered and getting beat down for it, cheating at the Kobiyashi Maru and nearly getting kicked out for it. He's still likeable despite all this because his heart is in the right place and he' funny, but he's deeply flawed. Spock provides the counter-balance to his flawed character just like he did in the old shows (whereas Kirk provides some courage and boldness).
Old 04-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #37
CES
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Kirk is not a Gary Stu character at all. He's a hothead, has no regard for authority, and is overconfident. These flaws get in his way frequently.

The writers did a lot to point out these flaws (kid stealing and destroying stepdad's car, getting into a bar fight where he is vastly outnumbered and getting beat down for it, cheating at the Kobiyashi Maru and nearly getting kicked out for it. He's still likeable despite all this because his heart is in the right place and he' funny, but he's deeply flawed. Spock provides the counter-balance to his flawed character just like he did in the old shows (whereas Kirk provides some courage and boldness).
The fact that he's a gigantic dick to just about everyone, cheats at every possible instance and is a generally unlikeable, untalented idiot yet he gets instantly promoted from academy reject to captain of one of the most advanced vessels in Starfleet is pure Gary Stu worthy of a Shatner novel. His flaws were never really addressed (namely his childish problem with authority and his overwhelming arrogance) but maybe they're keeping something in reserve for the sequel.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #38
bean
Banned

Quote:
The fact that he's a gigantic dick to just about everyone, cheats at every possible instance and is a generally unlikeable, untalented idiot. . .
You were watching a different movie or are you trolling me?

First, everyone likes him aside from a handful of bullies. He's exceedingly funny and charming. Also, they make it very clear that his aptitude charts are off the charts when his deceased father's old friend recruits him and that he is an exceptional cadet during his hearing for cheating on the Kobiyashi Maru.

He only cheated once and it was on the test that could not be beaten. He has a philosophical problem with the idea of an "unbeatable" situation due to the fact that his father was forced to lose his life when faced with a similar choice.

Are you you just messing with me? First you say he is an infallible Gary Stu and in the next post you say he is a wretched bufoon. You've put him at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Finally, his childish problem with authority gets him marooned on an ice planet, so there are consequences from his flaws; however, they are also just a part of him. Kirk doesn't respect authority ever.

Last edited by bean; 04-18-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #39
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

It's not like they really rewrote Kirk, this is all the same shit from the original. I do prefer Old Kirk from the TOS movies, though.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #40
Narradisall
Cookies

I didn't mind the 2009 movie at all. Although I'll admit that era of Trek is my most disliked and I found I could not make it through the TV series or all the films, but the reboot was watchable.

Hell, the parts with Bones were worth it alone.

I would say Kirk is not my most liked character, but then he did seem to be like his previous version, the being promoted to Captain seemed a bit weird, given the circumstances it may have happened, but I'll be interested if they leave him as captain of it in the next film, I mean it is their flagship and unless the leadership got wiped out (which I don't think it did) it would seem weird for them to leave it with him, regardless of how well he did saving earth.