welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
BLeeP
Damn Good Pie

Best place to buy digital video?

Lately, I have noticed that I've mostly been able to cut all digital piracy out of my life. I subscribe to Spotify and consume all of my music through their service. I subscribe to Netflix for things to watch on my TV, I buy all of my books through Amazon Kindle, and I buy all of my comics on Comixology. Sometimes, though, Netflix doesn't have what I need and I am forced to d/l a TV series or random film (hardly ever film, though).

What are my options for buying digital video, and what do you guys think is the best place to do so? I would like to stay away from iTunes, would like the ability to d/l my media again and again, and the ability to throw it on a thumbdrive and watch it on my 360. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Grifter
Cognified

Have you looked at Amazon's streaming service?

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
BLeeP
Damn Good Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
Have you looked at Amazon's streaming service?
I have, and if I was going to pick up a new streaming service, I would PROBABLY go with Hulu Plus. As stated, being able to watch it on my television is pretty important. I also find streaming to be annoying sometimes, what with having a bad internet night making the show buffer and rebuffer and sometimes it is just easier to throw a file on a removable drive. Plus, don't you have to pay the 80 bucks to be in on Amazon's streaming?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Stmfuller
Actually Graduated

Don't most movies come with digital copies now? That'd probably work..right?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
Deimos
Formerly Furtive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeeP View Post
I have, and if I was going to pick up a new streaming service, I would PROBABLY go with Hulu Plus. As stated, being able to watch it on my television is pretty important. I also find streaming to be annoying sometimes, what with having a bad internet night making the show buffer and rebuffer and sometimes it is just easier to throw a file on a removable drive. Plus, don't you have to pay the 80 bucks to be in on Amazon's streaming?
It's still streaming but isn't Amazon's $80/year cheaper than Hulu's $8/month with the added benefit of free 2day shipping?

Also if you have a PS3 Amazon's prime streaming is now an app on there. (I haven't tried it myself yet) I really wish Amazon would release a remote friendly HTPC type app for streaming.
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Suave Peanut
don't let's start

Send a message via AIM to Suave Peanut
The benefit to Amazon Digital Video over Hulu (if you are picking one over the other) is that all of the things that aren't steaming for free with Prime, you can rent or purchase digitally. This is especially advantageous if you have a PS3 which now has an Amazon app. However, if you're stuck with just an Xbox, you can download purchased videos with their Unbox program on your PC. While you can't just throw them on a thumb drive to your Xbox, you can easily stream them. I know I've done it with Doctor Who (in HD) in the past and it worked just fine.