welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #81
Cyndair
Warrior of Light

Ugh... poison is stupid. I didn't like it in 1992 and I don't like it now.
Cyndair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #82
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndair View Post
Ugh... poison is stupid. I didn't like it in 1992 and I don't like it now.
One of the reasons my mage is primarily earth magic--you eventually gain resistance for your whole party as an advanced skill.
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #83
jpublic
Threadslayer

Those death mushrooms (the herder caps with the poison clouds) are prime candidates for fighting with great mobility. If you spend too much time in the cloud you will die.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #84
Gwinny
Adventure!

Trying to get this to install on my laptop, but I keep running into an "XAudio2create" error when I run set-up. Blargh.
Gwinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #85
Narradisall
Cookies

I need something to keep me busy for a month, didn't know this was only going to be £10! Picking it up now, although I have not played a game like this in a very, very long time.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #86
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
I need something to keep me busy for a month, didn't know this was only going to be 10! Picking it up now, although I have not played a game like this in a very, very long time.
I don't think I've ever played a real PC dungeon crawl. It's very easy to pick up and play.

I'm on floor 5 now and still really enjoying it. I'm not sure why this thread and this game seems to have dropped off in attention. I'm pretty addicted to it.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #87
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
I don't think I've ever played a real PC dungeon crawl. It's very easy to pick up and play.

I'm on floor 5 now and still really enjoying it. I'm not sure why this thread and this game seems to have dropped off in attention. I'm pretty addicted to it.
Same goes for me. After hearing Notjeff and a few others rave on about it in the IRC thread, I decided to give it a whirl. Having no old school dungeon crawling experience whatsoever, I will say that I am definitely enjoying my time with it, even though I've had to walk away several times in frustration because of the puzzles.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #88
Narradisall
Cookies

Well, it certainly is addictive. I'm only down to level 5 (just got there and saved) and it's been damned good fun so far. I think I've picked up most of the secrets and some are quite puzzling and rewarding, but none have proved frustrating or annoying yet.

I was seeing the Game over screen a lot at the start, mainly because my mage and archer were pretty weak at the start, but once I got some spells and a bow they started pulling their own weight. My warrior and rogue at the front are doing well.

I think this should keep me happy for a week or two and it looks like they plan to add more dungeons in perhaps?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #89
EternalGamer
Colonist

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MY SAVE FILES?

Had about 30 or so saves.

Turned off my PC for the day.

Turned it back on tonight.

No saves in the file folder.

What the hell happened?

Last edited by EternalGamer; 04-15-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #90
Libuke
Elephant Bug

Got caught in a corner by lightning fliers lived about 3 seconds.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #91
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Downloaded a program to test and see if I can run this aaaaaaand... I PASSED! WHOOHOO! Bought, downloading now! Hopefully this program isn't a lying whore and I'm not telling you all about the Grimrock slide show later.

Edit: Just goofed around with this for a few minutes, and I love it. It runs well too, although I may or may not be having some slowness going on, or maybe it's the control scheme. But anyways, I found a big slug, couldn't figure out how to kill it and called it good. I will try harder later after I get some sleep.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619

Last edited by Wolvie; 04-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #92
Cyndair
Warrior of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
One of the reasons my mage is primarily earth magic--you eventually gain resistance for your whole party as an advanced skill.
Yes, I was going for fire, then I picked up a couple poison spells and noticed the resistance farther on down the earth ability tree. Switched right over.
Cyndair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #93
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
So. Fighter's Challenge.

FUCK. YOU.

Seriously...it's a secret you find on Level 6 I believe that sends you to a room down on Level 7, which then teleports you to your death. Literally. It's a Level 11 room filled with those green bug things that remind me of The Brood from X-Men. A LARGE room. FILLED with them (ok, maybe only 10-13) and you're teleported right in the middle of it. It took me an HOUR last night to finally overcome it, and ironically enough with everyone alive at the end. Ha!

My advice? GET TO A CORNER. There are so many that even if you get a good chunk dead, they will still be able to get you down and the run and gun tactic just won't work. In a corner, ONE of your party members will be protected. SAVE YOUR MAGE. Equip him with bombs (fire and shock work well) for when his mana goes, and invest enough (3) for the ice spell that hits multiple foes. Then just pray and watch people's health. I gave my front line 3 potions each, my rogue 2, and the mage none because as long as the front was alive, he would be safe from attack.

Still, the reward is awesome. So worth it. And the feeling of conquering such a difficult challenge (at level)...was great.

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #94
jpublic
Threadslayer

My response to fighter's challenge:

Yes, it does suck. What I did was clear up enough to get to the back of the pillar, and then ran to open the lock and get the hell out of there. Then I came back after hitting a crystal and got revenge.

The real problem with that area is the damn Herders that generate those poison clouds. You have to play the attack-n-move game with them. If you don't, and get stuck in a cloud, you're dead.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #95
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
I had no poison clouds in mine.

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #96
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Pray you saved some frost bombs, or fight your way to the frost bombs in the challenge. (I want to say there were 2 in there)

They played a big part in letting me freeze the bigger groups while letting me focus attacks on the single bugs, so I could route myself to a corner and fight while protecting my mage at the back right of my squad.

It was easily the toughest battle for me so far in the game, and I had to use several potions (health and energy) to stay in it.

I'm on level 8 now and I have to say that MinneyT and MightyT (my twin Minotaur brothers) are badass. One is an axe swinging murder with heavy armor and the other is an unarmed powerhouse who almost never misses. I pray that their excessive food requirements don't start to take their toll on these last couple levels...
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.

Last edited by Wackman3000; 04-16-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #97
roboninja
Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackman3000 View Post

Pray you saved some frost bombs, or fight your way to the frost bombs in the challenge. (I want to say there were 2 in there)

They played a big part in letting me freeze the bigger groups while letting me focus attacks on the single bugs, so I could route myself to a corner and fight while protecting my mage at the back right of my squad.

It was easily the toughest battle for me so far in the game, and I had to use several potions (health and energy) to stay in it.

I'm on level 8 now and I have to say that MinneyT and MightyT (my twin Minotaur brothers) are badass. One is an axe swinging murder with heavy armor and the other is an unarmed powerhouse who almost never misses. I pray that their excessive food requirements don't start to take their toll on these last couple levels...
Two Minotaurs? Now you have to split the skulls.
roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #98
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
I didn't take that perk.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #99
Narradisall
Cookies

Met my first Orge, died.

I knew level 6 would be a trap!

Still having good fun though, this seems such a well balanced game. I can dip in for a few hours, do a level and I'm always on the cusp of running out of arrows, etc during combat.

I have tons of food though, I went hungry a bit at first, but I seem to be ok about 5 hours in and starting level 6.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #100
c0m3d14n
Orbital Deathray Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
my party has 3 minotaurs 2 fighters, the first one also going full armor, the second unarmed and a ranged rogue, only the rogue has headhunter

Last edited by c0m3d14n; 04-16-2012 at 03:39 PM.
c0m3d14n is offline   Reply With Quote