welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 04-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
bean
Banned

Star Wars: The Old Republic Offers Free Game Time

As part of the promotion to celebrate the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic's second large content update since it's launch last December, they are offering 30 days of game time to subscribers who reach legacy level 6 (the approximate legacy level players will reach leveling one character to 50 or multiple characters to lower levels) before April 22nd. Additionally, they are allowing all existing game accounts a chance to play for free until April 20th with the hopes that many will choose to resubscribe to cash on the offer of a free month.

Active subscribers also get a ridiculous tauntaun pet (who hopefully can be sliced open to provide a gooey, but warm sleeping bag in a pinch).
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Narradisall
Cookies

Interesting, is it just a cool giveaway, or are they trying to bring people back into the fold so quickly?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Pale Ale
Drive By Guest

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
CappinCanuck
Cappin flags since 1990.

Send a message via MSN to CappinCanuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
Interesting, is it just a cool giveaway, or are they trying to bring people back into the fold so quickly?
I think the former but it's still good for everyone anyway.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
bean
Banned

If they really wanted us to come back so much, why haven't they put in a Dungeon Finder?

Also, keep in mind that this basically gives people the month of May for free. .. when they expect a lot of people to be playing Diablo 3.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
If they really wanted us to come back so much, why haven't they put in a Dungeon Finder?
I doubt there's a connection there.

"Free" is exactly the price I was willing to pay to check out 1.2. I was just thinking to myself earlier today, "MMOs are games in which you pay $15 to have the product sold to you." Now that I get a free week, I'll take a crack at it when I get a chance.
Amazon Author Page
Website
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
MagGnome

What are the subscriber numbers like for this game? Has it been bleeding people or is it staying steady? From what I've heard it sounds like they've lost a lot of people over the last few months, at least around COG.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
bean
Banned

@MagGnome - They had the largest launch ever with about 2.5 million. With the free week and the bonus month. According to a friend at Bioware, they saw growth until March when the churn evened out so they are around 3 million, but this promotion will probably help a lot.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Farsight
DON'T FIGHT IT!

They've lost enough customers to have numerous forum threads bemoaning the dead servers and inability to find groups/pvp.

Personally, my own server seems much less active than back when I played. Now even seeing chat outside of the main fleet hub is a surprise. Another person is an (unwelcome, due to the competitive way quests work) shock.

Luckily, the best part of this game (the story) doesn't really depend on population at all. But all shard-based MMOs since WoW have had this problem: they're great during launch, when everyone is a subscriber and all the servers are full. Then the subscription fees start, the population settles back into what should still be a healthy number, but everyone's spread so thin that some servers become barren wastelands.

MMOs should merge servers as a common occurance to keep populations concentrated into sizable, fun communities. But since there's an, "OMG the game is dying!" stigma to merges, most don't do so until far too late.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

It doesn't help that most MMOs have an idiotic unique name scheme for characters, so when you merge servers people get fucked. Ultima Online didn't have unique names, seemed to work fine.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Shjinta
Old Picky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to Shjinta Send a message via MSN to Shjinta
Bah and here I thought people like me who didn't sub passed March 20th would get some free days to try 1.2 I got 2 50s and 30s I'd like to see the 1.2 changes.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
bean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shjinta View Post
Bah and here I thought people like me who didn't sub passed March 20th would get some free days to try 1.2 I got 2 50s and 30s I'd like to see the 1.2 changes.
You do. Everyone who has ever had a game account has it activated until the 20th. Reread the main post and it says that.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Shjinta
Old Picky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to Shjinta Send a message via MSN to Shjinta
Quote:
You do. Everyone who has ever had a game account has it activated until the 20th. Reread the main post and it says that.
Reading fail on my part. Well let's download 1.2 and try it for 5-10 minutes before I get bored lol
Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
ThievesAmongUs
Stealin' da loot.

Quote:

Active subscribers also get a ridiculous tauntaun pet (who hopefully can be sliced open to provide a gooey, but warm sleeping bag in a pinch).
Yes, but does the smell wash out ?
ThievesAmongUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Logged into my server. Completely dead. Legacy didn't offer me anything useful, and it doesn't transfer to other servers, which is what would be required for me to use it at all. I spent more time getting the SWTOR launcher to work with my router this afternoon than I did playing the game, and I think, overall, screwing with the router was less disappointing.
Amazon Author Page
Website
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
bean
Banned

There are things I like about the patch like the adjustable UI and the way your legacy is able to share all the class buffs from characters in the Legacy who have completed Chapter 2 (basically about level 40). My alt is now able to cast 3 buffs at once. The addition of sprint as a level 1 ability is also great. The new battleground is also really fun (as are all of them). They've also stream-lined movement so you aren't wasting time in orbital stations.

However, I'm left wanting really important features like a Dungeon Finder (an LFG tool that allows players to automate grouping to fill empty slots after they've grouped up with friends), and the ability to create macros so I can nest long cooldown powers behind powers I use often in order to take them off my super-crowded action bar.

The downside of Legacy is it seems to be aimed only at people who play all the damn time. I've made multiple characters, but I buy items for them and all their skills, so I don't have millions of credits like the game thinks I do. Thus, even with a Legacy Level of 15, I only have the ABILITY to buy most Legacy items. . . if I was ridiculously rich, so I didn't get that much from the system either (though I don't think they want us buying everything the first month, I'd like to have been able to buy the rocket boots).

@Reverant - I hear you. The finicky patcher and website have plagued them in beta, launch, and continue to do so. It's something I'm able to get past because I really like Star Wars and I really like games with strong narratives, but I can see it turning people off.

As far as population, it's actually slightly up from launch. The problem is that they made enough servers at launch for people who were playing 6-12 hours/day (seriously, there were several in my guild like this) and now these people play every few days for a few hours, so usage has plummeted drastically. This causes a big problem because the game producers look at the numbers and think, "Well, if we have an exciting new feature and everyone is back online 6-12 hours/day, then combining servers would make us be back to needing queues. . . players would get mad." However, the unhappy result is that they don't combine servers quickly enough and people will be upset that they are playing alone. This is especially true since they do not have a Dungeon Finder and/or cross-server battlegrounds.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
bean
Banned

Okay, so anyone resubscribing?

I'm not, and I have a few reasons:

1. Legacy's additions, while good, are not compelling things that would change the game for me. What I really want is Dungeon Finder (or some other LFG tool that works exactly like Dungeon Finder). Also, while they've cut down on the bullshit (like not being able to use speeders in spaceports, not having sprint until level 10 (now available at level 1), etc. there is still a LOT of timesink designed into the game. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't just gotten done playing WoW. . . in WoW there is so much content that they are like an Italian mother that presses more and more of it on to you, but in ToR - even though it already ALSO has a ton of content, they often have you running back and forth between planets or going on long transports just to artificially lengthen the game. They need far more story moments where you are transported to the next story area automatically. . . need to talk to the Dark Council on Dromund Kaas and do NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER ON THIS NOOB PLANET, then it should teleport you there and then teleport you back to your ship after the conference (actually, you shouldn't even port there, you just get the cut scene as if your character moved there and then you are back on your ship). I want them to change their design philosophy to other modern MMOs and fire whatever old school EQ lover wanted timesinks. They should be going MORE MORE MORE, HERE, HAVE SOME MORE! That would keep us playing.

2. The server population seems to be lower. I know it's not much lower, but the usage is so much lower that the servers FEEL abandoned. They need to combine them so that they are crowded again and then open up new ones when they need to do so.

3. The gear is kind of weak in TOR. What I mean by that is that even when I'm wearing purple gear, I don't feel like it's significantly more damage than when I am in quest gear. This is kind of a big deal to me because I like making my characters into badasses as they level. It's fun for me to twink them this way and while I can do it in TOR, the effects are far less than that in other MMOs. They chose to make gear less impactful in the game and this makes it less fun to me than other MMOs that give me the ability make alternate characters overpowered.

4. The patcher sucks and the website server sucks. Their operations team seems unable to correct their issues even when given months to do so. I'd overlook this like I did at launch if the additions were good.

5. It's a small thing, but I have a very high Legacy level, but I chose to be a crafter instead of slicing. As a result of the weird slicing skill that grants free money, there are people out there with tons of credits, and then those of us who haven't even bought our mount speed skills at max level. Due to this, they chose to make only some Legacy things unlock with points. Most of them unlock with your Legacy level AND an enormous credit cost. So slicing just became mandatory if you want the Legacy stuff and that kind of sucks.

Having said all that, I still like the game quite a bit, and I have every intention of returning to it eventually. The story portions while leveling alts are the game's strength. It is a lot of fun to get in the game and do a few missions in the Star Wars universe. It's also a ton of fun to have some light side and some dark side characters as even the non-class quests have different results.

Last edited by bean; 04-19-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

There was an analyst story on Ars today in which a dude suggested based on some figures from fan sites and culling fan feedback that the population over all had dropped to like 1.2 million or something.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote