welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #7381
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgoodwin View Post
I just know a lot of Amazon ebooks say "Price set by publisher" on them and cost more than a new paperback edition.

Because it costs more to have a book made of magic.
Did not know that was a thing. Went to look it up and there it is with a cheaper paperback. Interesting.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #7382
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

My present level of medication.

And racism.

And discussing racism with gamers.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #7383
Panthera
ANUSTART

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
My present level of medication.

And racism.

And discussing racism with gamers.
Did you know racism doesn't count if they're zombies?

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #7384
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

In this particular instance it was "Wanting more non-white non-male art in D&D books means you're part of a PC liberal conspiracy to lock up D&D artists for being insufficiently multicultural."

Or some such nonsense like that. It's hard to summarize when so much knee-jerk, batshit idiocy floods your inbox all at once.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #7385
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

That's funny J Arcane. I guess I don't know any black(or multicultural) D&D players. I think that was Vin Disel said he use to play back when he was bouncing. I can imagine him now saying that as the typical black phrase, "Yo, why it ain't no black dudes in these D&D books."

Cause black folk always notice when they ain't included in something.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #7386
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Did not know that was a thing. Went to look it up and there it is with a cheaper paperback. Interesting.
Yeah, that's actually the case quite a bit of the time, which is annoying. As a result I haven't bought many books for my Kindle. Not when I can order a paperback cheaper or just go to one of the local book stores and pay less for a used copy.

Used, oh noes!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #7387
Thanasimos
The Flattest Fish

Send a message via AIM to Thanasimos
"Salsa".

In this context, it's a shitty programming language implemented on top of java (it is "compiled" to moderately obfuscated java source code, and then compiled by java to .class files as normal, but then must be run with salsa on the java classpath and just general weird shit.)

It's designed for easy distributed computing, which is fine, but the sheer number of hoops jumped through to use it. . . it's a hassle in any other setting. One of my professors designed the language, and as such it pops up in his class's assignments. I am reasonably certain that the vast majority of its use is in his own courses.

I wish he'd just masturbate normally instead of dragging all of us into it.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #7388
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Rotten Tomatoes.

It's like concentrated film douchebaggery, where somehow the "non-professional" reviewers seem to think douchebaggery is what makes a pro a pro, so they take things to comical heights.

Basically useless as a result.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #7389
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanasimos View Post
"Salsa".

In this context, it's a shitty programming language implemented on top of java (it is "compiled" to moderately obfuscated java source code, and then compiled by java to .class files as normal, but then must be run with salsa on the java classpath and just general weird shit.)

It's designed for easy distributed computing, which is fine, but the sheer number of hoops jumped through to use it. . . it's a hassle in any other setting. One of my professors designed the language, and as such it pops up in his class's assignments. I am reasonably certain that the vast majority of its use is in his own courses.

I wish he'd just masturbate normally instead of dragging all of us into it.
I thought you were shitting on salsa for a second, as in the delicious mexican dip, and I was going to drop a virtual beat down!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #7390
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Review aggregation is useless? Well I'm shocked sir!

Though RT actually has an algorithm besides just taking the mean rating like Metacritic. Also, I bet Serapth is pissed because a movie he liked has a low rating. Or the other way around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #7391
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
Rotten Tomatoes.

It's like concentrated film douchebaggery, where somehow the "non-professional" reviewers seem to think douchebaggery is what makes a pro a pro, so they take things to comical heights.

Basically useless as a result.
I usually just click through to "Top Critics" and do a glance, or look on Wikipedia to get a general summary.

Beyond that I really don't care what regular movie goers have to say unless they're people I know.

Quote:
I thought you were shitting on salsa for a second, as in the delicious mexican dip, and I was going to drop a virtual beat down!
One of my favorite things about this town, one of the few really, is that there are a shockingly large number of quality salsa makers locally, so I can get really fresh, really yummy salsa pretty much anywhere.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #7392
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
Review aggregation is useless? Well I'm shocked sir!

Though RT actually has an algorithm besides just taking the mean rating like Metacritic. Also, I bet Serapth is pissed because a movie he liked has a low rating. Or the other way around!
Actually, it was reading this portion of a review that made me realize just how useless they can be:

A very complex and jaw dropping indie,foreign,art house, and drama film. Those are all the best genres so this should have been better. Although it lacks character development and depth[sic] it's still a pretty decent film. It's rather dull but that's one reason why it's so good.

It's like hearing people defend The American again.

It was epic fucking shit, but that's what made it so great!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #7393
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
I usually just click through to "Top Critics" and do a glance, or look on Wikipedia to get a general summary.

Beyond that I really don't care what regular movie goers have to say unless they're people I know.

By this point in time I have exactly one friend whose opinion on films I listen to.

It used to be two, until that fucking bastard recommended I go watch "Law Abiding Citizen".

... He also liked Avatar. That's two strikes I simply cannot defend.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #7394
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Quote:
Actually, it was reading this portion of a review that made me realize just how useless they can be:

A very complex and jaw dropping indie,foreign,art house, and drama film. Those are all the best genres so this should have been better. Although it lacks character development and depth[sic] it's still a pretty decent film. It's rather dull but that's one reason why it's so good.

It's like hearing people defend The American again.

It was epic fucking shit, but that's what made it so great!
That quote makes me want to kill whoever originally said it and then myself.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #7395
torrefaction
Returning video tapes.

Quote:
By this point in time I have exactly one friend whose opinion on films I listen to.

It used to be two, until that fucking bastard recommended I go watch "Law Abiding Citizen".

... He also liked Avatar. That's two strikes I simply cannot defend.
Law Abiding Citizen was a great movie you sonofabitch.
torrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #7396
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrefaction View Post
Law Abiding Citizen was a great movie you sonofabitch.
You forgot the pink right?

Jamie Foxx as a brilliant attorney... hard to buy.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #7397
diablopath

I skim through the opinion section in my local paper for the lolz. There are really never any relevant letters, it's usually just old people bitching about Wal-Mart or something. This letter I just read today made me really think of Mags and his sufferings of automobiles. The guy's "Fuck you, I'm a car." attitude is quite offputting.

Quote:
I am writing in reference to rules of the road as applicable to bicycles in the state of Kentucky.

Some bicyclers got permission to ride on roads. They apparently thought this gives them the right to just go out on highways and streets and ignore all the rules of the road. If they get hit by a car, which by the way is bigger than they are, they whine that drivers are not being fair.

Rules are defined in the Kentucky Administrative Regulations (601 KAR 14:020). “Bicycles shall be operated the same as motor vehicles.” This means that bicyclers are REQUIRED to ride their little bikes in the right lane not the left; they are REQUIRED to stop at stop signs and stop lights.

Do they do this? No they do not. Many bicyclers I have seen come to an intersection and go right on through regardless of traffic stopped. Bicyclers need to understand that the road is being shared with them but they are not sharing the road with cars.

Bicycles are unlike motorbikes in that bicycles go much, much, much slower than motorcycles, and they are smaller than automobiles that these bicyclers want to share the road with. These bicyclers want drivers in those big bad cars to have more respect and see them. These bicyclers need to learn just like motorcycle riders that cars are much, much bigger than they are. They need to have more respect for the cars and themselves.

Cars go a lot faster than they do — a lot faster. If a car hits them or if they hit a car, the hurt is going to be on them just like it would be on a motorcycle rider. A bicycler can whine, if he or she lives, but the hurt is still going to be on them.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #7398
Serapth
Reigning on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablopath View Post
I skim through the opinion section in my local paper for the lolz. There are really never any relevant letters, it's usually just old people bitching about Wal-Mart or something. This letter I just read today made me really think of Mags and his sufferings of automobiles. The guy's "Fuck you, I'm a car." attitude is quite offputting.
Not sure why you are in opposition to that piece, he is fundamentally right.

a) right or wrong in their attitude, if a bike dances with a car, the guy on the bike is going to be in a world of fucking hurt.

b) a number ( the majority? ) cyclists *DO NOT* follow the rules of the road. This means a) stopping for lights and b) not weaving through traffic that has stopped for a light. Almost every cyclist I have ever seen has violates both these rules.

c) if you are a cyclist that runs a red light and gets schmucked by a car, tough fucking luck.

I am not anti cyclist... I am anti- light running. If you run a red light in your car and get schmucked, tough fucking luck.

For the record, I rode motorcyles for years too, and so many motorcyclists are at fault here too, where the light turns red, and they start riding the line. Again, if you are doing this and get schmucked, tough fucking luck.

Also, the first thing you learn when you ride a motorcycle is exactly what this guy is saying... cars ( "cagers") don't see you, and right or wrong, if you are hit, unlike someone in a car, there is a very good chance you will be hurt. One of the biggest defences you have when riding on a motorcycle is speed and agility, something lacking on a bicycle. You need to ride defensively.

TL;DR. Follow the rules of the fucking road, they are there to protect everyone, cyclists, pedestrian, driver and motorcyclist. Also, all the "rightness" in the world doesn't change the laws of physics. It's like rock, paper scissors, except it's car, motorcycle, bicycle... and car wins every time.

Last edited by Serapth; 04-15-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #7399
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
You forgot the pink right?

Jamie Foxx as a brilliant attorney... hard to buy.
That was the believable part. Gerard Butler was were it fell apart for me.
ArmoredXerxes

Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #7400
Thanasimos
The Flattest Fish

Send a message via AIM to Thanasimos
Quote:
I led you on intentionally. I knew the implications.

In retrospect, I should have spoilered the rest of my post.