welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > Screen, Page and Song

Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
MalReynolds
Demon of the North

Send a message via MSN to MalReynolds Send a message via Yahoo to MalReynolds Send a message via Skype™ to MalReynolds
anyone know when the next episode will air?
MalReynolds#1834

"It's so hard to play Halo 4 and masturbate at the same time."---Squidbot
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
anyone know when the next episode will air?
If I had to guess, I'd say a week after the current one.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
BLeeP
Damn Good Pie

I love the vibe from the first two episodes. The original Avatar was the embodiment of American animation embracing the Japanese movement and creating something truly unique and special. With this new series, I am seeing so many flashes of grown up brilliance that comes from letting these things mature. The entire chase scene with Korra and the police? Classic Cowboy Bebop greatness, complete with eastern jazz infusion! So good.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #24
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Loved the first two eps. It was a little jarring not to see more of her development, but I think it lends it self to the more mature faster paced show that it is versus the original. Which is fine.

Personally, it will be interesting to see what Tenzin will be like when he needs to fight. We did not get a lot of chance to see a more mature Air Bender fight.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #25
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

It's definitely weird to see her bending all three elements from the get go, but for anyone who's watched the original series, it would be hard to retell that story without feeling like deja vu. We're getting a different kind of story this time around.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #26
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
It's definitely weird to see her bending all three elements from the get go, but for anyone who's watched the original series, it would be hard to retell that story without feeling like deja vu. We're getting a different kind of story this time around.
This is true, I think bending all three and no signs of air was weird though. It wasn't even like it was poor bending either. Sure it was small in size, she had complete moves. Great first words for the character though. "I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it."
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
the original Game Boy was the size of a VCR -pronounconnoun
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Tenzin explains that every avatar has a difficult time with one element. It isn't necessarily the opposite to the one you were born with, but the one that's the opposite of your nature. Airbending is spiritual, and Korra is a very physically grounded person. She acts more like Toph than Katara.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
And that's why I really like it because it lets you fill in the blanks for yourself, imagine it how you want to see it.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #29
Thanasimos
The Flattest Fish

Send a message via AIM to Thanasimos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
And that's why I really like it because it lets you fill in the blanks for yourself, imagine it how you want to see it.
I wonder if that will actually last or if we're going to run into flashbacks. . .
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #30
Mashidar
<3 for Dal Dal

There will be flashbacks, but you know there is not too many shows in the avatar series that I disliked.
Mashidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #31
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanasimos View Post
I wonder if that will actually last or if we're going to run into flashbacks. . .
Considering she'd learned three elements by the time she was a little kid that looked to be half Aang's age, I don't think there will be many flashbacks to her original discovery process. Maybe flashbacks to her early teen years, but it sounds like she hadn't traveled much. I think we're more likely to get flashbacks from the adults, to fill us in on what happened over the 70 years since the original series.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #32
bryan
Colonist

Yeah it looks to be she's been in controlled supervised training all these years, wouldn't be very interesting.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #33
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Interesting episode. This episode made me think about a few things.

What are the regular Bending Nations doing now? Are they living harmoniously?
And it will be interesting to see Korra go Avatar. Aang was bald and had an arrow on his head that lit up. I wonder how it will look for Korra.

I am liking the contrast between Korra and Aang. He could fight, haphazardly, but he could fight. She apparently was only ever taught mechanics, but lacks fighting skills. That, or she totally was beat down by that ONE chi-blocker.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #34
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

I think it's mostly the difference in style. Aang was all about evading everything, even the fight entirely, if possible. Which is useful in every situation. Giving yourself time to see what your enemy is up to is a good idea.

Korra seems to approach everything like a blunt instrument. So when something she can't immediately smash into the ground shows up, she's caught flat footed. It's a nice balance to what would otherwise make her way to powerful to be entertaining to watch.

I also liked the nice touch of making the villain's theatrics take place... on a stage, fog generator and all. Hopefully they keep up that theme and leave out a couple of the more annoying villain tropes.
ClannerDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #35
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

-_- I don't know. It's like the benders have poor Kung Fu,. Mako is an ok firebender, but Bolin is rubbish. And they all lack creativity.
ArmoredXerxes

Bitch, please. I've gone through the alphabet with more girls than a kindergarten teacher. -Ox
My life requires busting faggoty assed bitches like yourself in the fucking face. -Zeal
Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #36
Thanasimos
The Flattest Fish

Send a message via AIM to Thanasimos
One of my favorite things is that so far they have done a good job creating a sympathetic villain. His family was killed by benders (Note: I suspect that will later come out as untrue), and there is indeed a crime problem related to benders -- moreover, when removing individuals' powers, he started with criminals. Thus far the dude is a clear vigilante figure.

This could lead to some fun moral qualms later in dealing with him.

We only know he's evil so far because we have been told as much, and also because his costume/imagery is evil to a t (that stands for trope). I mean, I only see him getting more evil, but until then. . . .
Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #37
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

I'm spending way too much time trying to figure out if/how new characters are related to old ones. They've given us obvious ones (Aang's son, Toph's daughter), but I can't shake the feeling that the Equalizer guy has to have some connection to the original series. It's probably because they gave him a mask. Ty Lee, the gymnast girl, was the only person we saw use chi-blocking last time, so is this person related to her? Learned from a school she taught? Or do they just want me to think that?

I can't help but think that some of the villains from the last series will have influenced the new plot somehow. Ozai was powerless but he was still a deposed leader with loyal followers. Azula was locked away and crazy, what happened to her? And, of course, what about Zuko's mom?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #38
Pale Ale
Drive By Guest

Quote:
I'm spending way too much time trying to figure out if/how new characters are related to old ones. They've given us obvious ones (Aang's son, Toph's daughter), but I can't shake the feeling that the Equalizer guy has to have some connection to the original series. It's probably because they gave him a mask. Ty Lee, the gymnast girl, was the only person we saw use chi-blocking last time, so is this person related to her? Learned from a school she taught? Or do they just want me to think that?

I can't help but think that some of the villains from the last series will have influenced the new plot somehow. Ozai was powerless but he was still a deposed leader with loyal followers. Azula was locked away and crazy, what happened to her? And, of course, what about Zuko's mom?
Yeah, but I'm hopeing for a twist.

Not attached to anybody, instead of X's unloved son!

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #39
Xerxes
ONE FUCKING BOX

I'm not relating the villain to any one although I do wonder how Ty Lee's style is everywhere. Thanasimos I should be sympathetic but watch him take away people bending was very much like watching them be violated. I'm told the triads are bad news but I guess I need to see that in action. No to mention Bolin was up there.

I imagine the Avatar will be able to reverse it. The turtle lion did say it was just bending energy. It most likely won't be for the triad member though. I can see someone important like Tenzin or one of his kids getting depowered. Housing the Avatar probably doesn't win him any support from the Anti-benders.

Him claiming to have spoken with the spirit world does make me think Korra needs to get her ass to Mars the spirit realm. Aang and others from the spirit realm could clear this up.
ArmoredXerxes

Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #40
Mashidar
<3 for Dal Dal

See the thing is that this series takes place way in the future where Aang and his friends more or less rebuilt what was broken. I'm really happy to see non benders go toe to toe with benders. Not just the chi blockers who's only goal was to stall them or catch them. All there moves were just to take them down to a state of capture so the others could get away.

Ty Lee without a doubt became an important person in the Avatar after series with the help of Suki's group. She joined them, and odds are taught them how to Chi Block as no doubt they became protectors in the kingdom. Time passed and the style and abilities could of been passed down and taught to others.

The guy with the lighting sticks was neat as well and watching the brothers work together was nice. I'm not to shocked that they got beatdown. They are pro bender players, not fighters. The guys they were against are trained against benders and almost all bending I'm sure has for the most part the same general motions so creating a defense has to be possible. I mean even before Ty Lee could go toe to toe with most folks.

I look forward to see the decedent of Zuko and Mai. Odds are some bender with a taste for knives.
Mashidar is offline   Reply With Quote