welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
JayK47
Colonist

Risen 2: Dark Waters

Risen 2: Dark Waters comes out soon on Xbox360, PS3, and PC. April 27th seems to be the big day in North American, and PC gamers seem stuck with digital releases only. I pre-ordered on Steam for the free DLC, which also seems to be available on Amazon.

Look here for more screenshots and here for videos. Also check out the Steam storefront.

I enjoyed Risen well enough. I am looking forward to what Piranha Bytes can do with a pirate theme. I do not like to pre-order anymore, but I am bored and developers like PB I am more than happy to support.

So who else plans to get some digital scurvy?
JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Narradisall
Cookies

I'm going to wait on reviews, I enjoyed Risen, but it was very much a game to keep me occupied for a while and nothing to write home about.

I do have a month to keep busy till D3 though, but I want to wait what people think of it first.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
JayK47
Colonist

I just read the preview in gameinformer. Sounds like the setting and characters will be a lot of fun, while the combat could use some work. Piranha Bytes games have always had sluggish and awkward controls. So I guess I would expect it while hoping for improvement.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Blah gonna have to wait. All gaming reserves are being stored and awaiting the diablo 3 fest to ensue...

and Max Payne
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
JayK47
Colonist

The COG review is here. The game seems to be locked on Steam until this Friday. Sounds like the game really needed a cloth map to be included with the disk. Hard to do with a digital only US release.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
AntonThaGreat
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
The COG review is here. The game seems to be locked on Steam until this Friday. Sounds like the game really needed a cloth map to be included with the disk. Hard to do with a digital only US release.
Apparently it's still just as much shit as the first one. So disappointing.
Just wondering is all.
I'm a lumber jack and I'm okay.
I sleep all day and work all night.
AntonThaGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
JayK47
Colonist

Well lucky for me I had fun with the first one. Well at least as long as I went the bandit route. I could never get past a certain point going the mage route.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
JayK47
Colonist

Well, it loaded up just fine. No crashes in the first few minutes. I did notice some console related lameness. The vertical mouse movement seems to be very limited while the horizontal mouse movement is very sensitive. The only thing you can adjust is the horizontal movement. In the first area, the camera actually doesn't allow you to look all the way up or down. I hope that is not the case the whole way through. Otherwise the graphics on PC look much better than they did in screen shots. It looked rough around the edges, but now that I have seen them, they are more than good for me. Probably won't get to this any time soon to be honest. I am in the middle of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood that will most likely be interrupted by some sniping in Sniper Elite 2. I'm hoping in a few weeks there will be a patch or two and some decent tweaks.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
SonofSeth
Seeker

Am I just really bad at RPG think or this game really fucking hard on normal? I hate pigs, people, sand devils and there's a special dark place in my soul reserved for crabs and ghouls, and that's just the beginning.

Enjoying everything but the combat though, feels really meaty and dense with some of that old adventure logic to it.

And I think one quest bugged out for me so I'll never be able to get that 1000 gold from Largo that he promised.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSeth View Post
Am I just really bad at RPG think or this game really fucking hard on normal? I hate pigs, people, sand devils and there's a special dark place in my soul reserved for crabs and ghouls, and that's just the beginning.

Enjoying everything but the combat though, feels really meaty and dense with some of that old adventure logic to it.

And I think one quest bugged out for me so I'll never be able to get that 1000 gold from Largo that he promised.
Reviews have said that combat just wasn't made for fighting monsters or something along those lines. Difficult intentionally?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
SonofSeth
Seeker

Fuck it, I'm going guns all the way, too bad I spent points in blades already, but what can you do, It's all part of the learning experience.

This looks like it will be my guilty pleasure game of this year. It's like a B grade witcher, graphics, voice acting, combat, plot, it's all extremely cheesy, but this game got soul and I can appreciate that.

Did I mention I got that 1000 gold from Largo, it wasn't a bug, but there's was a whole new direction I could come at the problem and get what I need. AWESOME! Also drinking another pirate under the table to get his treasure map, haha, what's not to like? (except the combat that is)

P.S.
As a child, I was made to walk the plank. We couldn't afford a dog.

Last edited by SonofSeth; 05-03-2012 at 10:36 AM.
SonofSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Its pretty damn cool. Spent about an hour with all the .ini fixes and changes and have it running really well with fixed controls. Almost done with it. So far I would give it a 7 or 8. The combat is a bit wonky but once you are leveled up a bit it sort of takes off from there.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
JayK47
Colonist

This game is a slow starter. But some pretty decent conversations. Funny too. Hopefully it picks up some steam soon.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
SonofSeth
Seeker

So, what build are you going for, in the end I decided to stick with blades, and now I'm a voodoo thief, have a monkey that can steal stuff for me and I control peoples minds with my little "action figures". It got better once I got a crew member that can heal me.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
SonofSeth
Seeker

I just want to add, finally a game where it makes perfect sense to rob the shit out of every house, tomb and cave I get to.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
JayK47
Colonist

A monkey? I thought that guy was joking. I'm totally getting a monkey.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
JayK47
Colonist

Finally got enough money to buy some low level skills. Was getting my ass whooped by everything one on one. I have been relying on Patty to do all of the dirty work while I run away from everything only striking in the back like a wimp. Should do better now though.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #18
SonofSeth
Seeker

Yeah, Patty. I made the mistake of going to the pirate camp right away and talking to her dear dad. He said if I want to be a pirate, I need to prove myself, but I had to do it alone so Patty left me and I almost cried.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #19
JayK47
Colonist

The latest patch made several improvements. In particular, it added a dodge move and cleaned up the vegetation animations. The vegetation was essentially broken but now looks good. Combat seems better too. Warthogs are much tougher as well. Died for the first time from a group of them. But they taste great
Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #20
JayK47
Colonist

Life is pretty great when you have your own crew and ship.