welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #21
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
Molyneux gets knocked because he constantly promises the moon, and delivers... mediocrity. I don't think he's ever done a bad game, but the ed product never, ever lives up to the picture he paints pre-release. If he'd just wait until they're closer to a final product to start touting features I would respect him more. Lots of developers have pie in the sky hopes for a game, but they generally wait until they know that something is in a game before they start talking it up.
Which is also something I hate. The big veil of secrecy that surrounds a games development.

I like that Molyneux gets excited and shares his dreams and ideas with everyone. I love that he has that much passion and enjoys his work so much. He literally can't wait to show people what he's doing. I don't believe that's the kind of thing we should be attempting to stifle.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #22
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Are you sure? Do you want to hear tons of possibilities about a game you're excited about only to have it come out and lack most of those features?

I'm all for post-mortems that talk about how a game was developed, as long as they're released after the fact.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #23
Narradisall
Cookies

I have no problem with Molyneux, sure he fails to deliever on his promises a lot, but people are well aware of that by now.

I'm with the others, the levels of hate people level at the guy for being passionate about making games is just sad. I've personally found myself disliking gamers more and more in recent years for the way some/many do to nigh every aspect of gaming.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #24
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Ed Wood was passionate about making movies.

You guys are way too serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #25
MagGnome

Quote:
Molyneux gets knocked because he constantly promises the moon, and delivers... mediocrity. I don't think he's ever done a bad game, but the ed product never, ever lives up to the picture he paints pre-release. If he'd just wait until they're closer to a final product to start touting features I would respect him more. Lots of developers have pie in the sky hopes for a game, but they generally wait until they know that something is in a game before they start talking it up.
Exactly. I have a lot of fondness for the games he worked on in the 90s at Bullfrog, but his output since then has been very mediocre, yet he hypes them to the moon and back. He's basically a liar, or the modern-day equivalent of a snake oil salesman.

I'm all for having dreamers in the game industry, and we have many of those. What we need less of, however, is the kind of hype machine that people like Molyneux build up and then never attain. I don't "hate" Molyneux (that would be silly), but I tend to ignore everything he says, as he's shown by now that he can't live up to his ideas. Everyone has ideas, it's executing them that's the hard part.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #26
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Molyneux is amusing to watch, but I sure as hell don't take anything he says seriously.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Legend of Dragoon, nice.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #28
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:
Molyneux gets knocked because he constantly promises the moon, and delivers... mediocrity.
He delivers mediocrity when he is on his A game. Any other time what he pushes out is shit. Fable III, both Black & White games, The Movies, the vast majority of Fable II DLC... all of this falls squarely into the realm of shit. He basically made two mediocre/good games while working with Microsoft: Fable and Fable II. That is the best he managed to do. That is why people mock him. He is a poor developer of video games. Forget about big promises and look at the games that he has actually put out, they're mostly terrible.
Follow me on Twitter!

Last edited by Widgetcraft; 04-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #29
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
Molyneux is amusing to watch, but I sure as hell don't take anything he says seriously.
Exactly this.

Heck, Molyneux the person can oft be more interesting and amusing than the product he sells.