welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #441
Ondo
Backwards Compatible

So thinking about it more, my main issue is that I've never liked it when game companies say "when it's done", and refuse to give any more info. It bothered me back when id did it for Quake. Pre-purchasing just exacerbates that issue a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
I'm sure they have a general idea of when they expect the game to launch, but announcing a timeframe and then delaying it (if that needs to happen) has the double effect of aggravating the massive talking asshole known as the gaming community and shaking confidence in the title itself.
That's fairly typical reasoning for why talking about a timeframe is bad, but when has this ever actually turned out badly for a company? I can't recall ever seeing a company say anything like "when it's ready, but we expect that to be around June", much less then have it turn out badly for them.

Delaying games doesn't seem to have hurt Valve, so why is it so feared?

And if Guild Wars 2 were to be delayed until, say, September, do you really think they could avoid aggravating the gaming community and shaking confidence in the title by never talking about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
I rather suspect they need the money to keep them going so they can finish up the game as much as possible before release. They built up a lot of hype, but if the launch is bad it will be utterly disastrous for them.
I don't think they need the money; I'd expect it to be fairly easy to borrow money when you can show pre-order money you'll be receiving. But it does reduce ArenaNet's financial incentive to release the game early, and I do like that.

It's all academic for me; my brother bought my the game as a present.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #442
bryan
Colonist

Quote:
I don't think they need the money; I'd expect it to be fairly easy to borrow money when you can show pre-order money you'll be receiving. But it does reduce ArenaNet's financial incentive to release the game early, and I do like that.
You sure you thought that sentence through? The ability to borrow money is ALSO contingent on pre-order money, ergo they need the money hence they open up pre-orders.

Quote:
That's fairly typical reasoning for why talking about a timeframe is bad, but when has this ever actually turned out badly for a company? I can't recall ever seeing a company say anything like "when it's ready, but we expect that to be around June", much less then have it turn out badly for them.

Delaying games doesn't seem to have hurt Valve, so why is it so feared?
Valve also don't announce release dates so not sure sure what you're trying to illustrate here. The fact is not having a release date frees them. By stating one they paint a target on themselves.

Also though I am not a lawyer I am pretty sure if they take your money now and promise you a release date and they miss it that opens them up to a class action, looking at the number of people who will be buying the game.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #443
Ondo
Backwards Compatible

Quote:
You sure you thought that sentence through? The ability to borrow money is ALSO contingent on pre-order money, ergo they need the money hence they open up pre-orders.
That sentence was a mess - while they may need to allow pre-orders, I don't think they need pre-purchasing.

Quote:
Valve also don't announce release dates so not sure sure what you're trying to illustrate here. The fact is not having a release date frees them. By stating one they paint a target on themselves.

Also though I am not a lawyer I am pretty sure if they take your money now and promise you a release date and they miss it that opens them up to a class action, looking at the number of people who will be buying the game.
Portal 2 was announced for late 2010, then delayed to February 9th, then delayed to April 18th. That was the only one I really followed, but I assume from the jokes about Valve Time it wasn't the first time that happened.

And I'm not suggesting they promise a specific date. I'd like a vague window; something along the lines of when it'd be released if everything in beta goes smoothly, and some idea of their contingency plans if issues need fixing. NCSoft talked about seasonality affecting the release timing - is there any chance of a July release, or would they push it back rather than release in the summer? Things like that.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #444
bryan
Colonist

Actually you're right I think HL2 was delayed a few times.

Yeah a release date would nice. But in the meanwhile we could be playing Diablo 3 and Max Payne 3! That's what I'm looking forward to anyway.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #445
c0m3d14n
Orbital Deathray Operator

well since nobody else posted it till now ^^
the first BWE is 27-29
can't wait!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #446
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

How could I have forgotten! ROLL CALL!
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #447
DiBiddilyBop
Extraordinary Prick

Send a message via AIM to DiBiddilyBop Send a message via MSN to DiBiddilyBop Send a message via Yahoo to DiBiddilyBop
I'm in but I'm also magic pre-releasing it up, so it's going to be a busy weekend.
DiBiddilyBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #448
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

ANet's blog post for the BWE:

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-beta-w...vent-is-coming
Current Projects
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #449
LordDon
Terrible Yet Refined

I'm this close || to pre-ordering this.
Edit: And I just read they'll have WvW open for the beta event on the 27th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
You can take my anus when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Last edited by LordDon; 04-19-2012 at 08:40 PM.
LordDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #450
DiBiddilyBop
Extraordinary Prick

Send a message via AIM to DiBiddilyBop Send a message via MSN to DiBiddilyBop Send a message via Yahoo to DiBiddilyBop
Client is available for download today. Can't log in until this weekend, but at least I can look at an icon on my desktop until then.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #451
digitalErich
Mathematical!

I'm curious to see how gear dependent (and thus time dependent) the PvP is in this game. I'm looking forward to hearing reports from you guys after this weekend.

I really want to play a good WvW/RvR game, but I just don't have the want or desire to sink hours and hours into an MMO right now.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #452
Farsight
DON'T FIGHT IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
I really want to play a good WvW/RvR game, but I just don't have the want or desire to sink hours and hours into an MMO right now.
You might try support skills then. You don't need as good of gear if you're not supposed to get hit.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #453
Grifter
Cognified

Just pre-purchased it. I'll now be eating Ramen for the next week, thanks ArenaNET.

All About Martial Arts
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #454
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

The folks running the Guild Wars 2 Twitter feed must be saints. I can't believe the insanity they put up with. I guess if I were paid to be cordial to savages I could hold my tongue... for a bit.

PvP Gear: In competitive, match based PvP, gear has no meaning. Everyone has same gear/weapons, it's all about how you customize your talents and loadouts and how well you play. In WvWvW, gear does have an affect. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like in TOR or WoW where max-level players who've farmed PvP gear are invincible juggernauts compared to everyone else. We won't know until we actually play, though. We've heard that a level one at least stands a chance next to a gear 80... not a good one, but the outcome isn't determined completely by gear before the fight even starts.
Current Projects
Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #455
Farsight
DON'T FIGHT IT!

So, someone has learned from others' mistakes:

GW2 will have paid character transfers from the start, but you can also PvE on any server you like, it's only the server-v-server pvp that locks you into your "home" server. Auctions are also cross-server. So basically, the game is nearly population-imbalance-proof out of the gates.

Yay!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #456
bean
Banned

Quote:
The folks running the Guild Wars 2 Twitter feed must be saints. I can't believe the insanity they put up with. I guess if I were paid to be cordial to savages I could hold my tongue... for a bit.
I've worked in community support for an MMO. What happens is you get a sense of humor about it. We used to share around the worst ones. Then there is a process that you go through for the response.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #457
Squidbot
Schrödinger's vet

Quote:
Try working as CS for Blizzard. It's an eye opener.
Squidbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #458
Squidbot
Schrödinger's vet

Is anyone actually able to DL anything? I have a 20 meg file that just keeps looking for updates. Cheked my firewall, etc, it just doesn't do anything.
I'm assuming there isn't anything happening at ArenaNet's end yet.
Squidbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #459
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Yes, I actually have the entire client done. Did it last night. It automatically launches the client once it's done downloading, so that's how you'll know if everything worked out.
Current Projects
Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #460
DiBiddilyBop
Extraordinary Prick

Same here. I just get to stare at a login screen for the next couple days.