Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #81
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeEmBored View Post

Although I combined two coupons and ended up ordering Enslaved (I remember that it was liked around here) for $1.79 out of my pocket from Gamefly. I'll get that much entertainment out of it, I'm sure.

Otherwise, I have a calculus test on Thursday. I'm trying to keep my hopes up, but I dunno. Maybe I could throw a trash can at my instructor while praising Blue Dragon?
You got Enslaved for under 2 bucks? Yeah, you received way beyond a steal. What a fun game that was.

I love you trashing your professor while talking up Blue Dragon. Spigot would be proud.

@Xydarc:

Someone was crazy enough to let me look at their laptop to see if I can purge the virus off of it. My co-worker claims it runs slow. I've been using it for the last hour. I haven't seen anything funny. I'm running the MS anti-virus and Malwarebytes. Any other suggestions to check this laptop out will be appreciated. She said if I couldn't fix it I could have it. I wish I was a dishonorable soul. I could use a laptop right now.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #82
Spigot
Turn Me

Heh. Yeah. I usually just get paid to talk to people until they can't stand to listen to me anymore and change their ways so as not to get lectured anymore

This new place is much more... physical... than the other places I've been working at over the past decade. The upside is that as the manager, I'm not expected to actually wade into the fray most of the time. Today it was a total sucker-punch kind of move. I had no idea it was coming until BAM... garbage can to the spine.

It still aches but I don't want to bother going to the doctor or anything until at least tomorrow. My wife had a look at it and there is no bruise, but man, it hurts. I'll see how it feels tomorrow. The upside is that I now have a new story to tell when I'm working at my old place where garbage cans are NOT projectile weapons.

Now, on to Xenoblade while the kids are in bed and my wife is at a meeting!

I've got some commentary on Legend Of Grimrock and my purchasing of it to offer up later, but I want to type it up on a proper keyboard, not the iPad one.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #83
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
Crazy work stories go hand in hand with the MH field.
When I was in high school, my mom and I lived on this tiny ranch in New Mexico adjacent to the home of an elderly upper-class socialite from New York. She'd fled Long Island for the majestic beauty of the desert or some such nonsense. She once told me she had a job as an ambulance driver for mental health patients, and one evening, while she was delivering someone, they broke out of their restraints and attacked her. That caused the ambulance to go out of control and flip over.

She was an odd lady. Her home was covered wall to wall on both floors with unpacked boxes, and she was determined to get Oprah to build her a new house and buy her a pony. I know this because in return for the favor of cleaning our house, my mom made me help the lady write dozens of letters to Oprah asking for such gifts.

"I tell ya, Christopha!" she'd say with her raspy, New York accent. "This will be the one! Oprah's always helpin people out on her show. She's gonna read this one and there's gonna be a pony, I know it!"

Anyway, Utility Vehicle Simulator is MINE. They finally got back to me. Apparently, they thought I'd ordered the boxed copy (it says DIGITAL on the invoice!) so they sent me a boxed copy... from Europe. Great. They gave me the download link, but now I should have a hard copy arriving. I'm going to offer to ship it back if they pay for it.
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #84
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Pre-ordered Legend of Grimrock with some money a friend owed me. Spreading the love on Facebook.

I'm seriously considering Pinball Arcade on PSN, since I could play it on both my Vita and PS3. At the same time, Zen Pinball 2 is supposed to come out soon, which will support all of the existing tables from the first game, the Marvel tables, the new Avengeers tales, and of course brand new tables. It will also support Vita and PS3 play with a purchase on PSN.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #85
Spigot
Turn Me

Speaking of PSN, P3:FES is going up for $9.99. Talk about a sweet deal! I can dream about it working on my Vita, can't I? I know I can just get P3P but it would be lovely to have a version on the Vita that had all of the anime cutscenes and VO.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #86
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
When I was in high school, my mom and I lived on this tiny ranch in New Mexico adjacent to the home of an elderly upper-class socialite from New York. She'd fled Long Island for the majestic beauty of the desert or some such nonsense. She once told me she had a job as an ambulance driver for mental health patients, and one evening, while she was delivering someone, they broke out of their restraints and attacked her. That caused the ambulance to go out of control and flip over.

She was an odd lady. Her home was covered wall to wall on both floors with unpacked boxes, and she was determined to get Oprah to build her a new house and buy her a pony. I know this because in return for the favor of cleaning our house, my mom made me help the lady write dozens of letters to Oprah asking for such gifts.

"I tell ya, Christopha!" she'd say with her raspy, New York accent. "This will be the one! Oprah's always helpin people out on her show. She's gonna read this one and there's gonna be a pony, I know it!"
A question or two for you: If she was a socialite, why would Oprah need to buy her a new home? If she was a socialite, what was she doing driving an ambulance? Possibly she married into the money...never know... Honestly, I think you had it pegged when you said she was "odd". My gut feeling is she might of been one of the mental patients But as a MH professional...you always go with the persons story. That doesn't mean I don't think about it to see how far from reality it probably is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Speaking of PSN, P3:FES is going up for $9.99. Talk about a sweet deal! I can dream about it working on my Vita, can't I? I know I can just get P3P but it would be lovely to have a version on the Vita that had all of the anime cutscenes and VO.
If I had my PS3 I would buy P3:FES and play it again.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #87
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
Aye - If you want some advice on Enslaved, don't get the Piggy DLC. It's crap, IMO.

So I'm having a hard time getting into Drakensang: RoT. The combat system keeps on irritating me, and the control scheme for my compatriots sucks. I've been spoiled by Dragon Age.

Can't wait for freaking Legend of Grimrock.
Man first time I have ever read that comparison in the reverse. To me Drakensang is a damned godsend compared to Dragon Age.

Then again getting shot in the dick with a 12 gauge is better than playing that game...so I might be a bit jaded.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #88
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
A question or two for you: If she was a socialite, why would Oprah need to buy her a new home? If she was a socialite, what was she doing driving an ambulance? Possibly she married into the money...never know... Honestly, I think you had it pegged when you said she was "odd". My gut feeling is she might of been one of the mental patients But as a MH professional...you always go with the persons story. That doesn't mean I don't think about it to see how far from reality it probably is.
In the Hollywood version of this story, it would turn out that she was the patient that flipped the ambulance. I had the story wrong- she wasn't the driver. It's been years since I thought of this, so the memory is slowly returning. She was a psychiatric nurse that rode in the ambulance with patients, which fits better. She was riding when the guy broke out and attacked the driver, which led to the accident. Her dad was pretty rich, but I guess she didn't have direct access to that money as long as he was living. Once she moved to New Mexico, she lost money on her house because of an unscrupulous developer, which is why she wanted a new home... with a pony.

I definitely remember that I wrote letters to Oprah for her. That was ten years ago, and now I'm starting to wonder if my brain is just making this wacky memory up or even if it's one of my odd dreams.
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #89
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post

I definitely remember that I wrote letters to Oprah for her. That was ten years ago, and now I'm starting to wonder if my brain is just making this wacky memory up or even if it's one of my odd dreams.
That would make a great story.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #90
Kelegacy
Hairy and Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
$12 with a bunch of extra goodies and a steam key from their website.

Great, now I have to spend another $11.99 I don't have to spend. Thanks Kel.
If it turns out good, you'll thank me.

I'm a fan of the old school dungeon crawlers. Had to have this. And the puzzles look great. You can't find something like this being made anymore. Hail the PC. I hope console budgets just keep getting bigger and bigger so more developers will come to the PC instead.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #91
Spigot
Turn Me

On Day 5 of Lone Survivor. I've almost explored all of the second floor of the apartment building and have found many gross, disgusting and creepy things. Blech.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #92
AyeEmBored
He is bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
Aye - If you want some advice on Enslaved, don't get the Piggy DLC. It's crap, IMO.
I stay away from DLC almost all of the time, just out of general principle. (Grumbles that a game should be a complete experience when shipped. Knows that ship sailed years ago.) Except when I'm on a Rock Band kick, then all bets are off. About the only DLC that hasn't made me feel dirty after buying it has been the Mass Effect 2 DLC.

Last night didn't kill off my garden, but tonight might. I've covered the cucumbers that are up again tonight and I'm hoping that the rest survives. If not, I know that I was being dumb and optimistic when I planted as early as I did.

Oh, and my in-laws are mumbling that they want to go down to Prairie Meadows next Sunday to watch the horses, since they start next weekend. They race afternoons on Sunday, making it easier for them. Me, I'll be broke. No craps for me, unless I get staked.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #93
Pale Ale
Drive By Guest

Quote:
Someone was crazy enough to let me look at their laptop to see if I can purge the virus off of it. My co-worker claims it runs slow. I've been using it for the last hour. I haven't seen anything funny. I'm running the MS anti-virus and Malwarebytes. Any other suggestions to check this laptop out will be appreciated. She said if I couldn't fix it I could have it. I wish I was a dishonorable soul. I could use a laptop right now.
I would double check to see how many programs are loaded at once. Both my sister and my cousin had every program they installed in the system tray when windows loaded.

For bonus points my cousin had installed every toolbar a program would ask her about one.

'Simpsons' creator: Real Springfield is in Ore.

This means the Simpsons isn't showing you anything bizarre, this par for the course!

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #94
EWolfmanD
Investigation Team

I got a Geth Infiltrator earlier tonight in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, and I'm really enjoying it. So I'm probably going to change my gaming plans for the week. I'll probably just play Mass Effect 3 multi mostly so I can buy as many premium spectre packs as possible before the special goes away. Now I'm hoping for a better sniper rifle, Asari Justicar, or some type of Krogan still.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #95
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
On Day 5 of Lone Survivor. I've almost explored all of the second floor of the apartment building and have found many gross, disgusting and creepy things. Blech.
Shhh, quiet you!

I just got home from having drinks with two friends of mine (a married couple). I had a wonderful Russian Imperial Stout from local brewery Fulton, as well as a delicious whiskey stout. We chatted and laughed for two hours while enjoying our drinks. I am truly lucky to have such wonderful friends.

Last edited by MagGnome; 04-10-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #96
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Ale View Post
I would double check to see how many programs are loaded at once. Both my sister and my cousin had every program they installed in the system tray when windows loaded.

For bonus points my cousin had installed every toolbar a program would ask her about one.

'Simpsons' creator: Real Springfield is in Ore.

This means the Simpsons isn't showing you anything bizarre, this par for the course!
I always did consider Oregon to be the "Learn to Fart" state. :P
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #97
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Man first time I have ever read that comparison in the reverse. To me Drakensang is a damned godsend compared to Dragon Age.

Then again getting shot in the dick with a 12 gauge is better than playing that game...so I might be a bit jaded.
You might be a bit biased there, K.

I like Drak a lot, I just wish I could trust my party to fight intelligently. Having a NPC mage run into combat and get killed against some peons is irritating after the third time.

And the way the combat system works, you can't have tanks, because if more than 1 or 2 guys attack anyone they're doomed.

Edit: oh, and which brain decided to let a party only have one summon active at a time?

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #98
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:

Run chkdsk, CCleaner, and Defraggler on the boot drive. Also run msconfig and disable any startup items for apps like iTunes, anything Adobe, anything Office. As Pale said, uninstall any and all toolbars.
It's just as you said, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Xydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #99
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

So why is AssBro so popular? Parts of the game are fun, like the bro guild, the Borgia towers, and the Romulus levels. But the main missions are terrible. I mean, they are the worst gameplay I have played in a while. It's so awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #100
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

I've been playing the heck out of Hack, Slash, Loot; Shoot Many Robots; and Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Hopefully tomorrow I can get cracking on Legend of Grimrock when it comes out.
Lint of Death is offline   Reply With Quote