welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #41
Kelegacy
Hairy and Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
I have a 25" Dell IPS and it's pretty great. I prefer gaming on it as opposed to my 52" Panasonic plasma TV, actually.

I used to think that I preferred couch gaming, but man, there is something really intimate about being at a desk in an upright position up close to a screen. The experience can be far more immersive and intense than slouched back on a couch staring at a TV 5 or 6 feet away. Also, there are (obviously) a lot of game types that simply don't work on a couch whereas all games can be played at a desk easily.

You definitely need a controller, though. A controller + a good pair of headphones is what made me love PC gaming.
Yeah, I've heard it described as a more intimate experience, gaming on a smaller screen up close. I suppose that's the case. I don't mind it really, as the games look fantastic. I realized tonight though that I'm already getting used to the PC eye candy. I fired up Witcher, the first game I played on the rig, and I wasn't impressed like I was the first time. It's not the best looking game as it's fairly dated, but I was impressed by the framerate and smoothness more than anything. But now I'm getting jaded already!
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #42
National Kato
Surfer Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
Did you make lots of money?
Let's just say I didn't lose a lot of money. Sometimes that's just as good.
Origin: NationalKato
Now Playing: inFamous SS / Skyrim / Hearthstone
[twitch.tv]
[smith.ink]
National Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #43
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
A decent platform, you say? You won't believe what we have in store for you!
I thought someone around these parts (maybe you) was having trouble getting the Xenoblade disc to read in their PC's DVD drive. I'd actually be pretty tempted to try this if I had the energy. I feel kind of bad that my Wii has been so neglected of late, so I'm going to do my part to make it feel loved before its replacement shows up later this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Ale View Post
You don't have to pre-patch fugue like everyone else?
Again, I haven't played it in a while (since at least late February or early March)... plus I haven't come close to capping out my class.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #44
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Lets be honest if I was in front of a judge it meant I did what I wanted to do and when asked how I plea I would say, "I don't plea you fucking monkey fool. I do. Go make me an english muffin you dress wearing fuck. I am going to take the gavel and knock some heads!" The only thing I would recite is from my book of Grudges.
The Book of Grudges. I see the potential. Games, movies, books. You could be the next multi-media star. The tabloids would love you.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #45
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
The Book of Grudges. I see the potential. Games, movies, books. You could be the next multi-media star. The tabloids would love you.
My favorite part about the Book of Grudges is when Samuel kills all the Philistines with an ass jaw.
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #46
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Yes they would. I am in.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #47
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
A decent platform, you say? You won't believe what we have in store for you!
Except for the bit where I have to hack my Wii or download a game off the web* to get images.

*Which, in fairness, is not illegal in Canada if I own a copy.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #48
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
Yeah, I've heard it described as a more intimate experience, gaming on a smaller screen up close. I suppose that's the case. I don't mind it really, as the games look fantastic. I realized tonight though that I'm already getting used to the PC eye candy. I fired up Witcher, the first game I played on the rig, and I wasn't impressed like I was the first time. It's not the best looking game as it's fairly dated, but I was impressed by the framerate and smoothness more than anything. But now I'm getting jaded already!
That's a good thing because once you get over the eye candy or performance of a particular game, that is when the game part begins to shine. And Witcher 1 is a pretty solid example of that. Stick with it. The combat is a little weird at first (timed hits like mini-game) but once you upgrade Igni and learn a few good potions, it becomes pretty great.

Even aside from the graphics there are no console RPGs like The Witcher. It's not overly long either. Even for completionists.

Witcher 2, however, is going to blow your socks off no matter how jaded you think you are.

Last edited by EternalGamer; 04-09-2012 at 09:29 PM.
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #49
jpublic
Threadslayer

The problem I have with the Dell monitors is it's sometimes tricky to know if a monitor is IPS or not.

You'd think all the U-series (Ultrasharp) would be, as opposed to the lower-end P- or E-series, but nope.

Mine's a G2210, one of the first LED out there, and a TN. Not bad, but I'd like to upgrade.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #50
MagGnome

You guys need to stop talking about The Witcher. I'm feeling bad that I didn't finish that game. I'm still only on the first or second chapter.

I really wish I had more time to game. I know I say this a lot, but it's true. I guess I should just try to make more time. I want to get back to Undying soon...jpublic has finished at least 5 games since I started playing that one. That man is a machine!

I need to either play more games or stop posting on a gaming site, lest I incur more wrath from certain cranky posters.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #51
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
You guys need to stop talking about The Witcher. I'm feeling bad that I didn't finish that game. I'm still only on the first or second chapter.

I really wish I had more time to game. I know I say this a lot, but it's true. I guess I should just try to make more time. I want to get back to Undying soon...jpublic has finished at least 5 games since I started playing that one. That man is a machine!

I need to either play more games or stop posting on a gaming site, lest I incur more wrath from certain cranky posters.
If you just played a game for 10 minutes between every post on COG you'd clear out your Steam library by the end of the month.

Get started: http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogfor...ad.php?t=26299

Last edited by EternalGamer; 04-09-2012 at 09:56 PM.
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #52
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
My favorite part about the Book of Grudges is when Samuel kills all the Philistines with an ass jaw.
It really is well written in that particular scene.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #53
Spigot
Turn Me

I'm playing the Clear Out The DVR game at the moment. Had a The River marathon tonight and now that show is off the drive.

I also just had the best hummus ever. Edamame hummus with a hint of cilantro & jalapeño with bagel chips to dip in it. I think that's my new favourite munchie.

And I got 20th place in the second course on Hot Shots Vita. Ug. I suck.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #54
Vigil80
Colonist

I've started playing Red Dead Redemption. Again. It's just so damn good.

Funny enough, my last saves were almost exactly a year ago.
Vigil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #55
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

RDR is the most quotable game in history, and it feels almost prophetic in the light of the Tea Party and the Occupy protests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #56
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
It really is well written in that particular scene.
Ugh, I meant Samson! Bible joke RUINED.

Guild Wars 2 pre-purchased! Now all I have to do is wait for the sweet, sweet beta to drop into my hands.
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #57
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post

I had some more bran this morning. I will be less cranky. Maybe not toward you but less cranky overall

Not that I needed actual evidence but I really do suck at sports games. I couldn't even beat the NBA 2k bot controlled player last night. At least I was making a decent run at winning until my defense fell apart.

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #58
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

I started Costume Quest; Searching for costumes, fun. The rest, not so fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #59
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
If you just played a game for 10 minutes between every post on COG you'd clear out your Steam library by the end of the month.

Get started: http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogfor...ad.php?t=26299
Most of my COG posts are made while I'm eating breakfast, eating dinner, or in between classes from my phone, but I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps I should play more Chuzzles on my phone between classes?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #60
Spigot
Turn Me

Sigh. Nothing starts your day off right like getting sworn at for 10 minutes and then, as you're walking out of the room, getting a garbage can to the small of your back. Good morning to you too, sir!

Doesn't help like I feel like I have been on a 3 day bender without actually having a drop of alcohol in quite a long time. I think whatever was going around before Easter has started to take root in my gut. I'd just go home but I have to hang around here for a least a while longer to make sure some of the renovations get started.

Ug.