welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
fishbang
Colonist

Season 6, Episode 4

The entire series is ruined at the following link.

I really wanted to engage the topic of Mass Effect on our own terms. I imagined we'd compare choices and consequences and how they sometimes failed to materialize, then move on to highlights and lowlights of narrative and character development, losses and gains of affection, plot twists, that sort of thing. We'd wonder why so few words were being written about the multiplayer and why so very many were still being written about the ending. We'd have our own opinions and insights on the travesty, but we'd feel better after having a whine and could focus in the long run on the details of what made the Mass Effect universe a place worth visiting. All I can say is we talked about it. We talked about it and I feel worse.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Doogie2K
Nailed It!

Do the ME3 spoilers run the rest of the episode? Or will I need to fast-forward to some later portion?
Would it be a party without the bionic penis?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeEmBored View Post
Now time to see if the "Dress as Santa and come down your chimney" line works.
Doogie2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Psykoboy2
Enigma Of The Mystical

Send a message via AIM to Psykoboy2 Send a message via MSN to Psykoboy2 Send a message via Skype™ to Psykoboy2
We start the spoilers about an hour in and close the show that way, so once we get into it, you're done unless you want to be spoiled.
Psykoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Abyssion
Every ****ing Day.

Thanks for getting this episode out so quickly! Im gonna listen as soon as the place I work at closes.

Brb, going to Ethiopia to whine about being hungry.

EDIT: They kicked my ass.
3DS: 3523-2187-8878
Abyssion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

James, your comparison of game retailers to movie theatres, flailing around trying to stay relevant while all we want them to do is get out of the way, is spot on - definitely one of those "I wish I had thought to say it that way" moments.

Unfortunately, of course, you're also right that they aren't going anywhere anytime soon; they're too big, too much a part of the ecosystem to just disappear.

I do wonder, though, what the retailers' Hail Mary will be (the parallel to the "everything in 3D!" trend in theatres, I guess) as we move along. I mean, they're obviously struggling, even in a system letting them retain all sorts of unnecessary advantages to try to stay alive. The number of people who choose a physical store over digital distribution (or just ordering from Amazon in their underwear) isn't exactly rising, and I think it'll dwindle faster and faster as the kids growing up on iOS now get jobs and spending money.

The person who wrote in and wished Apple would make a console may not get that specific wish (and who's to say whether that would really be a good thing), but I think it is possible that they're changing the game faster than anyone else has before them, simply by redefining what people expect to be available for their instant gratification.

Portable gaming has already shifted significantly because of it: 2 years ago, Chrono Trigger and Ghost Trick were $30-$35 cartridges you bought in a Best Buy and plugged into your DS Lite. Today, the exact same games are $10 downloads on the App Store, and one of them even has a free trial. The quality of the gaming experience is arguably less on iOS, yes, but that's not really the subject at hand, is it.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there. </Whore>

Last edited by Ravenlock; 04-05-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Doogie2K
Nailed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykoboy2 View Post
We start the spoilers about an hour in and close the show that way, so once we get into it, you're done unless you want to be spoiled.
Perfect. Once ME3 talk kicks up in earnest, I'll be storing that fucker in a cask until 2014, when I finally finish the game.
Would it be a party without the bionic penis?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeEmBored View Post
Now time to see if the "Dress as Santa and come down your chimney" line works.
Doogie2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
diablopath

I'm glad you guys are touching on this. Listening now!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Calgar99
Colonist

Excellent show guys!
Calgar99 is offline   Reply With Quote