welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > P&R Arena

Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
Narradisall
Cookies

Arizona will fall to wave after wave of dirty foreign internet trolls, and their is nothing they can do to stop them.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
ShivaX
Extreme Moderate

Send a message via Yahoo to ShivaX
Once this law gets passed I'll be sure to annoy and offend everyone I can in Arizona. I'd like to see them come get me, though it would pretty hilarious to get pulled over for a traffic violation and have the cop come back and tell me I have a warrant for my arrest in Arizona - a state I've never been to.

Well hilarious until they strip search me for no reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox View Post
To answer your question, I'm not sure if I could be more pretentious. Maybe if you prove me right a few more times, I might reach new heights.
ShivaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
Shieldmaiden
Fights With Panache

Do you think I'll get extradited if I annoy or offend anyone in Arizona? If so, do you think they'll let me stay for an extra few weeks before going home?

AAAIIIIIAAAAAAAAHH, AHH!
Shieldmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
Narradisall
Cookies

No Jonno, for non US citizens it's much less red tape for them to just send a hit squad.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
bean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
The intent, of course, is to curb cyber-bullying, something that's become a major concern in the news the last few years... but this feels like declaring martial law to clamp down on jay-walking.
A law against this isn't necessarily bad, but there isn't any language about persistence, intent, or severity. Plus, the last bit of it is "annoy or offend". If they wanted to limit this to threats and harassment (repeated and intentional obnoxious behavior), then they might have a point.

Not all speech is protected, but because we value freedom of speech (and should value it), any legislation regarding it should be extremely specific.

I have to wonder if they wrote it to be overly broad in order to get a quick and easy judgment that it is not constitutional in order to prevent other states from pursuing legislation against cyber-bullying.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #26
Shieldmaiden
Fights With Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
No Jonno, for non US citizens it's much less red tape for them to just send a hit squad.
There's a reason that my circle of friends includes many people trained in the use of firearms, martial arts and medieval weaponry. Plus one guy who spent years in the military or working for the government in an unspecified capacity and knows far too much about killing people.

AAAIIIIIAAAAAAAAHH, AHH!
Shieldmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #27
Narradisall
Cookies

Do you all live in an abandoned tenement somewhere?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #28
jeffbax
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
The intent, of course, is to curb cyber-bullying, something that's become a major concern in the news the last few years... but this feels like declaring martial law to clamp down on jay-walking.

What happens when people go on their local news sites and criticize the incompetence of their elected officials? There's a small town in Arizona called Quartzite that's been in the news for its tyrannical city council and sheriff- It's easy to imagine such people using this law to harass their critics.
This.

Also, everyone saying AZ is being a dumb right-wing state also overlooks that the anti-bullying push largely all gained traction in blue states (particularly NY, NJ, MA, and WA) largely linked to a few cases of gay students committing suicide. There is movement for these types of laws everywhere - you probably just haven't paid attention to them yet and AZ was simply of the first.

We live in an age of the bully epidemic according to politicians and news media, despite the fact that statistically bullying has been declining drastically over the past decades.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...105746848.html
Quote:
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, between 1995 and 2009, the percentage of students who reported "being afraid of attack or harm at school" declined to 4% from 12%. Over the same period, the victimization rate per 1,000 students declined fivefold.
At the same time, statistics on bullying are having their methodology changed to inflate these numbers, much like poverty statistics.

God forbid parents and teachers simply take a stand and do their jobs. No, let's just get more dumb, overly broad and costly to implement legislation to take responsibility instead.
jeffbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #29
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Well, that's not exactly a new trend either. The "zero tolerance" weapon laws in schools were leading to kids getting expelled for having a swiss army knife in their backpack or wielding a pencil in a threatening manner years ago. It was just as stupid an abdication of parent / teacher responsibility then. This is just the newest version.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there. </Whore>
Ravenlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #30
ShivaX
Extreme Moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
Well, that's not exactly a new trend either. The "zero tolerance" weapon laws in schools were leading to kids getting expelled for having a swiss army knife in their backpack or wielding a pencil in a threatening manner years ago. It was just as stupid an abdication of parent / teacher responsibility then. This is just the newest version.
The difference here is that it goes well beyond the school, which traditionally is treated as a special place. The law as written cannot possibly survive any sort of legal challenge. "Annoy and Offend" is protected by the First Amendment. If they had left that off they might have a hope in hell, but with that there they might as well just throw the bill in the garbage because it can't possibly stand on its own.

I mean... its pretty damned easy to annoy or offend someone. Hell you don't even have to try really. All it takes is one Atheist/Theist saying pretty much anything about religion and someone can cite that clause and call in the authorities.

Look, I'll break the law in Arizona.
"Flying Spaghetti Monster."
Oh shit, I just offended someone in AZ, better alert the cops.
I'll do it again.
"Homosexuality is a sin."
Oh fuck, now I'm in for it. Better send SWAT.
Quote:
To answer your question, I'm not sure if I could be more pretentious. Maybe if you prove me right a few more times, I might reach new heights.

Last edited by ShivaX; 04-05-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #31
Doogie2K
Nailed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaX View Post
The difference here is that it goes well beyond the school, which traditionally is treated as a special place. The law as written cannot possibly survive any sort of legal challenge. "Annoy and Offend" is protected by the First Amendment. If they had left that off they might have a hope in hell, but with that there they might as well just throw the bill in the garbage because it can't possibly stand on its own.

I mean... its pretty damned easy to annoy or offend someone. Hell you don't even have to try really. All it takes is one Atheist/Theist saying pretty much anything about religion and someone can cite that clause and call in the authorities.

Look, I'll break the law in Arizona.
"Flying Spaghetti Monster."
Oh shit, I just offended someone in AZ, better alert the cops.
I'll do it again.
"Homosexuality is a sin."
Oh fuck, now I'm in for it. Better send SWAT.
I would be in favour of this law if Godwinning (and similar such argument-murders) were punishable by being shot in the street.
Would it be a party without the bionic penis?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeEmBored View Post
Now time to see if the "Dress as Santa and come down your chimney" line works.
Doogie2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie2K View Post
I would be in favour of this law if Godwinning (and similar such argument-murders) were punishable by being shot in the street.
That's the kind of law Hitler would pass.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
ShivaX
Extreme Moderate

Plus can you imagine the hilarity for the police force?

"Hello, police? I've been offended by something on the internet."
Yeah, THATS going to end well for everyone. I mean if you call in now and do that they'll laugh at you or possibly threaten you with wasting their time. Once the law is passed they'll have to respond to that call. And all calls like it. You'd need whole departments to deal with it.

If I was from AZ, I'd set up a Facebook group to call the police non-stop about the internet. Extra points for calling the cops on the Governor every time she says anything (because God knows I'm annoyed and offended by her constantly).

Edit: Even better just go to every Facebook post in existence. Call the police and say you were annoyed by it. Who cares if you had coffee? Fuck thats annoyingly illegal.
Quote:

Last edited by ShivaX; 04-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #34
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Arizona lawmakers can like my taint, because they are all simple-minded shitbags.

COME AT ME, AZ!
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
Doogie2K
Nailed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
That's the kind of law Hitler would pass.
Don't make me call Jan Brewer and have her put a hit out on your ass.
Would it be a party without the bionic penis?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeEmBored View Post
Now time to see if the "Dress as Santa and come down your chimney" line works.
Doogie2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #36
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

Also, don't bring your laptop to Canada.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #37
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaX View Post
Once this law gets passed I'll be sure to annoy and offend everyone I can in Arizona. I'd like to see them come get me, though it would pretty hilarious to get pulled over for a traffic violation and have the cop come back and tell me I have a warrant for my arrest in Arizona - a state I've never been to.

Well hilarious until they strip search me for no reason.
We are all doomed. -_-
Old 04-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #38
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbax View Post
God forbid parents and teachers simply take a stand and do their jobs. No, let's just get more dumb, overly broad and costly to implement legislation to take responsibility instead.
It's hard for teachers to do their jobs and stop bullying when conservative parents and conservative groups scream about any attempt to address homosexuality in the classroom. Suicide rates among gay teens are much higher than that of the general population, and bullying is a big part of the reason why.

Right-wing religious groups contribute significantly to the hostility faced by gay teens in the United States. It would be nice if more Republicans would tell these groups to piss off. Instead some of the leading presidential candidates actually join in on the anti-gay rhetoric.

I know you are not a Republican, by the way.

Last edited by MagGnome; 04-07-2012 at 02:06 PM.