welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #121
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

Seems to me that, more than anything else, Clark, you forgot what the DotA playerbase is like!
Lint of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #122
Clark
I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint of Death View Post
Seems to me that, more than anything else, Clark, you forgot what the DotA playerbase is like!
Yep. You may have nailed it.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #123
Libuke
Elephant Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
I recently got an invite and played a game. I've played a TON of DOTA back in the day and knew that while I'd be rusty, I certainly will know what I'm doing.

I got called a noob almost immediatly after going into the middle lane with another player. I apologized and said that 2 players in the middle was quite common when I played DOTA. I was basically called more names and told I'm full of shit.

It was a sad first go at this. Getting called a ton of names in a beta while explaining to all that it was my first go in a long time plain sucked. I wasn't feeding the other team by any means.
Ya I remember those days. It phased out a long time ago. But the dicks sure didn't.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #124
Clark
I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libuke View Post
Ya I remember those days. It phased out a long time ago. But the dicks sure didn't.
I'm very curious as to why....

Did the game change or just play styles?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #125
Libuke
Elephant Bug

Quote:
I'm very curious as to why....

Did the game change or just play styles?
I think it is mostly a filter down from Pro/Higher level play. They started running one middle and were successful as it allowed you to a get a higher level and gank the side lanes.

At the same time 2 middle is not un-heard of in pro games. In pup games it is pretty much totally out.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #126
RandoM51
Peripheral Visionary

Dual mid is making a comeback, Na'Vi been doing it a lot lately with crazy stuff like venomancer+vengeful spirit.

It will never fly in pub matches because that is the ego lane. Can't have two alpha dogs, after all.

"SOLO MID OR I FEED!!!!!!"
Old 03-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #127
Clark
I would.

Either I suck against Axe, he is crazy powerful, great players have been using him against me, or some sick combination of the three is occurring to me each time I play.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #128
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Either I suck against Axe, he is crazy powerful, great players have been using him against me, or some sick combination of the three is occurring to me each time I play.
GTFO noob.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #129
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

Axe isn't too bad if you can survive his taunt duration without going below the threshhold for Culling Blade. I play him quite a lot and I've had games where I'm unstoppable, but other games where I'm about as deadly as a knife made of butter. If he can get a few early kills then you're in trouble, but without the early feed you can just ignore him in team fights because he can't hurt you.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #130
Clark
I would.

Holy SHIT I don't remember the DOTA community being such DBs. I swear it was rare that I saw this level of dickishness back in the day.

I played as Drow Ranger. Wanted to try a build I read about that sounded like a match to my playing style. I bought wraith bands.

RIGHT AWAY FROM TEAMMATE: "Hey Clark, welcome to your first game of DOTA."

Rest of team chimed in with smart ass remarks as well. Because I didn't buy mana regen item.

Really? There is ONE way to build characters? One? Or I'm a noob?

I really want to play the hell out of this game. I love it. But man, there are times the community just sucks. In another game my team got pounded on. We were crushed and it was over. The other team just stood near our spawn point and killed us over and over and over instead of ending the game. Making our team quit instead of finishing the game.

Reasonable requests by our team to end it resulted in "Hurr...this is funny though!"

Ugh.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #131
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

I hope you reported everybody! People were pretty bad in dota 1, but the real difference is the ability to report/rate your "fellow" players. I do that all the time in LoL and I sure would in Dota 2 if I played it more.
Lint of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #132
torrefaction
Returning video tapes.

I'd love an invite if anyone has one.
torrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #133
Libuke
Elephant Bug

Quote:
Holy SHIT I don't remember the DOTA community being such DBs. I swear it was rare that I saw this level of dickishness back in the day.

I played as Drow Ranger. Wanted to try a build I read about that sounded like a match to my playing style. I bought wraith bands.

RIGHT AWAY FROM TEAMMATE: "Hey Clark, welcome to your first game of DOTA."

Rest of team chimed in with smart ass remarks as well. Because I didn't buy mana regen item.

Really? There is ONE way to build characters? One? Or I'm a noob?

I really want to play the hell out of this game. I love it. But man, there are times the community just sucks. In another game my team got pounded on. We were crushed and it was over. The other team just stood near our spawn point and killed us over and over and over instead of ending the game. Making our team quit instead of finishing the game.

Reasonable requests by our team to end it resulted in "Hurr...this is funny though!"

Ugh.

Mana regen on Drow what? I don't know why they would think that. Health regen is required on any character (don't care what guide you read) at the beginning. That sounds elitiest but if I can force you out of the lane in the first 30 seconds because I have health regen means I will win the lane. Which can cost you the game. Mana is much more dependent on your character.

Also they really need to put in a concede function if they are going to punish people for leaving games for reasons like you just mentioned.

Last edited by Libuke; 04-04-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Libuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #134
Clark
I would.

Libuke you are correct. It was health regen. My rage-filled typing should have said as much. I can see the point of health regen at the start for sure.

For long ranged characters, I never used to go that route right away, but maybe I should have been. I am going to bite the bullet and get some more games in today.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #135
RandoM51
Peripheral Visionary

Quote:
Axe is a pubstar who excels at 1v1 engagements. Battle Hunger keeps you weak, berserker's call prevents you from running away, culling blade 1-hits you once you're at 300/450/625 HP or lower from Battle Hunger spam(cooldown as low as 5s for fuck's sake).

Basically a nightmare to lane against. To add insult to injury people like to put him in a dual lane with Warlock. Really, really nasty pair to face off against.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #136
SonofSeth
Seeker

I just wish matchmaking worked better, as it is now, I get into games against people with far more experience and knowledge than me and mostly end up feeding the enemy. It's not fun for me, it certainly isn't fun for my team and nothing good ever comes out of it.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #137
RandoM51
Peripheral Visionary

I haven't had that problem, even as a complete noob. When it asked you at the start what your experience was did you pick the wrong choice?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #138
SonofSeth
Seeker

No, it's just that it can't get much more noob than me.

I played LoL to level 6 or 7, mostly vs AI and that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge. I got bored with that very fast but this just feels more fun, I can't really say why.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #139
torrefaction
Returning video tapes.

Who do I have to kill to get a damn beta invite?
torrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #140
Libuke
Elephant Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrefaction View Post
Who do I have to kill to get a damn beta invite?
I'd send you one if I had one but I am pretty sure I don't.