welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #121
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Damn, nice rig, Kel. I was damn near expecting to see "SSD" for your hard drive.
DananRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #122
Kelegacy
All Around Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic Machine View Post
Send me a PM with your Steam name and I'll send Portal, The Ship and an invite to Super MNC your way. None of them are worth much, but what the hell? You may also want to ask people on the Deals & Trading forum if they have any spare coupons they don't want.

I ordered mine from this place: iBuyPower back in November, and I've been really pleased with the performance and the price.
I am getting mine from ibuy as well. I bought through Amazon so I could have an out if I hate it since they have the best customer support ever. Prime shipping means overnight for $4.

I have heard good and bad from them so this is the ultimate test. If I get any DOA shit I will be pissed.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #123
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
I got a good deal. Only $6000.

Overboard would have been having you come to my house to set it up an then rewarding you with a backrub in the bathtub.

I will need steam friends now. I am Kelegacy on there.
Only $6000? What a deal!

Oh, a backrub would have been nice.

I went ahead and added you on Steam.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #124
jpublic
Threadslayer

Yeah, so Death Knights of Krynn is NOT happening at this time. I'll be damned if I'm going to slog through another Gold Box at this time. I like them, but I'm at my limit.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #125
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Whew! Our dog survived the heart surgery just fine, though it took an extra hour on account that it enlarged even more than they thought. It's only been a couple hours, but her heart has already begun to shrink. She'll come home tomorrow or Saturday, and won't be back to full strength for another 10 days. We're out a couple grand, but we've (hopefully) more than doubled her original life expectancy.
Amazon Author Page
Website
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #126
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic Machine View Post

I ordered mine from this place: iBuyPower back in November, and I've been really pleased with the performance and the price.
Yep Ibuypower really is the place right now.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #127
MagGnome

Reverant, that is wonderful news. I'm glad she is doing well.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #128
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
The MP in ME3 is pretty fun, Purps. At least, on the PC it sure is. And that's coming from me.
Yeah, you harped enough niceties about the MP so I thought I might try it. Besides, ADD is getting her TV tomorrow and her own cable/DVR box on Saturday. I'll have more time to game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Got offered sex.
Declined...STD's in Fallout is a scary proposition.
You didn't want the happy ending?

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #129
Spigot
Turn Me

I'm at a minor league hockey game with my son right now. Got tickets from my comic shop since I was the only nerd to reply to their tweet for free tickets!

Looking forward to going home soon and playing some ME3. I'm loving the Quarian missions.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #130
Kelegacy
All Around Nice Guy

Made my first real Steam purchase tonight. Trine is only $2 so I said what the heck. Maybe I'll grab the sequel too.

Would anyone recommend GOG over Steam when I buy Witcher 1? I want to play that before the sequel. GOG has no DRM, but is there a more compelling reason in favor of Steam?

Nothing big is on sale right now, and the console games I own I got much cheaper than what they are selling for on Steam right now (Space Marine, Batman AC, Human Revolution, etc. ) so hopefully some nice sales happen in the near future so I can stock up. I want to try something that will really show me the glory of the new machine, so I might have to download a demo or something.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #131
jpublic
Threadslayer

Most of my games that appear on both platforms I have on Steam simply because I bought it on Steam long before GoG offered it.

On newer games (ie Trine) I go with the cheaper. On old games I go with GoG, simply because they make an effort to make their copies work.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #132
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
Would anyone recommend GOG over Steam when I buy Witcher 1? I want to play that before the sequel. GOG has no DRM, but is there a more compelling reason in favor of Steam?
That's the version I purchased and the lack of DRM is fantastic.

Thanks to you Gorvi, I now own Riviera for PSP. You and your hype machine.

PSN has a lot of Atlus RPGs on sale right now.
Xydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #133
MagGnome

Quote:
Made my first real Steam purchase tonight. Trine is only $2 so I said what the heck. Maybe I'll grab the sequel too.

Nothing big is on sale right now, and the console games I own I got much cheaper than what they are selling for on Steam right now (Space Marine, Batman AC, Human Revolution, etc. ) so hopefully some nice sales happen in the near future so I can stock up. I want to try something that will really show me the glory of the new machine, so I might have to download a demo or something.
The GOG version of The Witcher comes with lots of extra goodies, including the soundtrack, and of course it doesn't have any DRM. Since it's a single-player title it really doesn't matter which one you go with - it all comes down to personal preference. If you plan on buying other games from GOG in the future (and you should!) then you might as well snag it there, since the price is the same and the GOG version has some extras.

If I recall correctly you are a fan of adventure games, right? You should check out Machinarium. It's ridiculously charming.

You should also check out the free games on GOG. Go here, then click on Price on the far right and select "Free". I've heard great things about Treasure Adventure Game, which is a newer release, and there are some classics in there as well, including Beneath a Steel Sky. You don't have to download them right away either. I "purchased" all of them recently, so they are sitting in my library.

Last edited by MagGnome; 03-29-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #134
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xydarc View Post
That's the version I purchased and the lack of DRM is fantastic.
100% agreed.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #135
Pale Ale
Drive By Guest

Quote:

I bought it for 5 buck on sale?

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #136
Bad Buddha
Windburnt wildman

I haven't been gaming all week, except for Tiny Towers on my work iPhone. The week has been consumed by my new job. That, and interacting with my wife and son. Talked with my youngest daughter today and gave her some instructions that fixed the dead screen on her laptop.

Just finished reading The Constant Gardener (Unsatisfying in a poignant way) and picked up a book about the great influenza pandemic of 1914.

I've been riding my motorcycle to work for the last week. It's an hour each way in the car but riding the bike I can cut that in half by cruising the HOV lane. On the way home I usually take the back roads through the forest and Cascade foothills and take the full hour or more. It's a nice break from work and a zen moment before I get home. It's been raining like hell all week and it's kind of fun being out in the elements. Having the right gear makes it much easier to enjoy it.

I keep forgetting that I work in Redmond: I've seen more Bentleys, Aston Martins, Lotuses and Lamborghinis this month than I've seen in the previous year. Shiny, pretty!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #137
Pale Ale
Drive By Guest

Silly Shadowrun! I always think of Redmond as Mogadishu without the charm.

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #138
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

Quote:

Well, you have the daily deals everyday, you have the weekend deals, and then midweek madness. The next major sale, however, will be the summer sale (I believe). Unless they do a spring sale this year.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #139
jpublic
Threadslayer

Anyway, I decided to followup Champions of Krynn with Wasteland, which I never actually finished, and follow Demons Winter with Dragon Wars.

If you liked Bard's Tale, you really missed out if you never at least tried Dragon Wars, because according to the creators, it's basically BT4.

You create four characters using a point-based skill system. For me I made two fighter types (Meatshield and Wally) and two mage types - one focused on the bureaucracy skill called Smarmasaur, and one focused on the bandage skill called Medic. I did make site everyone had the basic magic skill.

You start the game with nothing, thrown into a prison city. First thing I did was get a companion called Ulrik. Then we went to the arena, and abused the free wrappings and the easy ability to run to repeatedly sell the free weapons and get tier-3 armor and basic weapons for everyone.

We then find a basic magic trainer who gives us some basic spells for free. Then it's off to defeat a nasty for the thief king, win in the arena, and finally bust out of this prison.

Fun game, but I can't wait to start Wasteland!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #140
MagGnome

I played a bit more Undying tonight. That game feels really dated, and the main character comes off as a total moron.

"Well my friend says this creepy house is haunted, but I think he's just losing his mind, even though I've seen a ghost several times now and shot five or six demons. Yeah, seems pretty non-haunted to me!"