welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #41
JayVe
Kamalot at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
The Grimrock looks great hence the need for something better than a suped up tablet CPU.
That is why the iOS version is coming soon, right?
Steam: Kamalot
JayVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #42
Panthera
ANUSTART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbear View Post
I'm willing to bet you can run it. Though I am not sure what it's price, lack of publisher and it being downloadable has anything to do with it having to run on lower end machines.
I'd bet that as well, CPU speed isn't usually critical when it comes to minimum requirements and this doesn't look like a CPU-heavy game.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #43
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Actually the ipad GPU is quite a beast, Kama. I also don't know where you got that 1.7ghz info. My Asus came with 2.3 i7, it also cost twice as much. The M11x was never meant to last.

EDIT: But I think it would run just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #44
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbear View Post
I'm willing to bet you can run it. Though I am not sure what it's price, lack of publisher and it being downloadable has anything to do with it having to run on lower end machines.
Seriously, I hope no one tells him about ARMA 2 or 3.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #45
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Send a message via AIM to Tayaya Send a message via Yahoo to Tayaya
I shut up, the developer took my money. They gave me a steam key for my troubles!

Really excited about this. Old school dungeon crawling with no more need for imagination...it's so pretty!
Tayaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #46
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVe View Post
Shit! It looks like I can't run this game

I'm on an Alienware M11X gaming laptop, which is running an Intel U7300 at 1.3ghz. The game requires Dual Core 2GHz Intel.

What the fuck?

Way to limit your install base.
You know you can overclock the m11x to 1.6GHz in the BIOS, right? It helps a LOT. I played all the way through Portal 2 at decent settings AND Crysis Warhead on an m11x, and had very few issues. Starcraft II runs surprisingly well.

I have a buddy with one. I'll load it up when the game comes out in a few weeks and let you know how it runs. Some games run fine even if the CPU is below the requirements. Others, like SWTOR or Black Ops, though, are very choppy.

The m11x is a unique little machine. With the right games, it's amazing. Don't let the other commenters bring ya down. Turn the overclock on - it helps a ton, and my buddy's m11x has been going for almost 2 years, and he never disables the OC.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #47
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

What, Kamalot buying an underpowered computer and then whining because it can't run PC games? Why does that seem familiar? *coughOQOcough*

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #48
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
What, Kamalot buying an underpowered computer and then whining because it can't run PC games? Why does that seem familiar? *coughOQOcough*
You guys are SO MEAN! Not all CoGers are made out of money, you know! I myself am quite poor these days, which is why I'm living at home and had to sell the Evo. Shit happens...

However I did at least scrape up some cash to build a badass gaming rig a few weeks back, and it's fuckin' awesome.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #49
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayaya View Post
You guys are SO MEAN! Not all CoGers are made out of money, you know! I myself am quite poor these days, which is why I'm living at home and had to sell the Evo. Shit happens...

However I did at least scrape up some cash to build a badass gaming rig a few weeks back, and it's fuckin' awesome.
The M11x starts at $900, and goes up from there.

Something tells me affording it is not the problem here.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #50
MagGnome

Quote:

To be fair, Jayve's reaction was just a little over the top.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #51
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

Quote:

Hi, I'm Colony of Gamers, have we met? We're hardly being mean, we just have a low threshold for shenanigans.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #52
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
The M11x starts at $900, and goes up from there.

Something tells me affording it is not the problem here.
My buddy got his for $475 after I showed him how to stack coupons on the Dell site. But yeah, $900 is insane given the specs of the m11X.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #53
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

My six year old laptop is just below the specs for this game. All I really would need would be a better gfx card in it.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #54
CptTripps
Colonist

Send a message via Skype™ to CptTripps
Quote:

Gaming laptops are "nice" to have but people not made of money would be better off buying a desktop that runs faster, costs less, and has more longevity.

You for instance scraped and managed to build a "fuckin' awesome" gaming rig for I assume a very nice price. You don't price out gaming laptops when your hurting
Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #55
CptTripps
Colonist

Send a message via Skype™ to CptTripps
I'm gonna buy this no question. I just hope it sucks me in like the old wizardy and bards tale games on the IIe. My only concern is the real time combat, time will tell.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #56
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptTripps View Post
You for instance scraped and managed to build a "fuckin' awesome" gaming rig for I assume a very nice price. You don't price out gaming laptops when your hurting
For $475 the m11x was a great buy. For $900..... not so much. Like I said I've played on one and I was impressed with it, and it ran most of what my friend has thrown at it (only CoD: Blops and BF:Bad Company 2 were unplayable... The Old Republic gets choppy in some places, but 90% of the time stays within playable levels). However, the desktop I built for the same price ($900 plus the $100 for a copy of Windows) is so much more powerful (Core i5 2500K (3.3GHz), 8GB of memory, a 1.5TB hard drive, and a Radeon HD 6870 1GB).

I just built another machine for my girlfriend's son that clocked in at $600 (Plus the cost of Windows) and is almost as good (Core i3 3.3GHz, 8GB Ram, 6850 1GB). So far it's run everything he's tried to run on it with zero issue even at high settings.

In both of these cases, we needed a new case, power supply, motherboard, OS, and optical drive, since we didn't have a pool of parts that we could carry over from one machine to the next, so this made the costs a little high, but even considering that I am very pleased. The machine I built for $900 completely blows away any other machine I've ever owned.

The affordability of building a decent gaming machine these days has really renewed my interest in PC gaming...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #57
Kelegacy
Hairy and Scary

I just bought a new pc because this game was the final fucking straw.

Think I need to make a thread and shed some of my console baggage (and games and shit). I am back to pc gaming after taking half a decade off.
Kelegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #58
MagGnome

Tayaya - That $600 system sounds like a steal! It's amazing how much prices have come down on hardware.

Welcome back to the fold, Kelegacy. I know you've been wanting to get back into PC gaming for awhile. Are you going to tell us about your new rig in the WeekDay/WeekEnd thread?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #59
Tayaya
The Origami Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Tayaya - That $600 system sounds like a steal! It's amazing how much prices have come down on hardware.

Welcome back to the fold, Kelegacy. I know you've been wanting to get back into PC gaming for awhile. Are you going to tell us about your new rig in the WeekDay/WeekEnd thread?
The GF has an amazing talent for finding rock bottom prices on stuff, so I gave her a list of parts to buy and she did the shopping. I wish I knew how she does it!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #60
MagGnome

Yeah, I wish I knew her secrets as well. Sometime next year I'll likely upgrade my PC to 8GB of RAM and a better graphics card. We'll see.